View previous topic View next topic Go down

Phil Blue/Red
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1550
Posting Flair : 130

PostPhil Blue/Red Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:31 am

First topic message reminder :

At the beginning of the season I would never have imagined MM omitting Peter Whittingham from the starting XI. However after an indifferent period of form, Whitts was dropped and Kim Bo Kyung and Jordon Mutch were introduced into a revamped five man midfield. The improvement in City's attacking play in particular, has been quite remarkable since the change was made. Kimbo has been quite outstanding. So where does this leave Whittingham? Could it be, that after being the driving force in midfield and our outstanding player over the last three seasons, he will be simply be a bit part player when City finally take their place in the Premier League next season.

Kate
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1754
Posting Flair : 220

PostKate Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:29 pm

Caer y Glyn wrote:It would be lovely if we see a trademark Whitts 20 yarder tonight!

What next for Peter Whittingham? - Page 2 3874419067

Although only as a sub, as I hope the same midfield three start tonight. Let's not change things now when it is going so well
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:05 pm

Whitts never displays too many emotions, but this gives a good idea of what he's gone through over the years, and how ambitious he is:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2309518/Peter-Whittingham-Cardiff-got-promotion-Charlton.html

I've no doubt he will be very keen to make his mark in the prem.
What next for Peter Whittingham? - Page 2 1525230823
SteWells
SteWells
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 1655
Posting Flair : 100

PostSteWells Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:11 pm

I think people have to be careful not to get carried away. Kim has been excellent in the last few games, but that's all its been, a few games. I'm not saying that he won't or can't keep it up, but until he's shown consistency over at least a full season, he's still unproven imo.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:22 pm

That's a great article and there's no doubt that Whitts still has a very important role to play at the club. I do think he needs - and has in some respects, earned - a rest.

So easy to forget how much this club have achieved in the last five years. Even if we didn't win any of it, it's still incredible really. What next for Peter Whittingham? - Page 2 1499845164
thewelshfella
thewelshfella
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7013
Posting Flair : 200

Postthewelshfella Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:26 pm

He is a fantastic player but isn't able to play every game.

Being in the prem should help him IMO because there are less games & better players that can replace him so that he doesn't need to be run into the ground.

Whitts will be a massive player for us next season and when other teams see he can play at the top flight the offers will come flying in and it will be hard for Malky to keep hold of him.
Caer y Glyn
Caer y Glyn
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1927
Posting Flair : 70

PostCaer y Glyn Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:29 pm

I want to see a midfield trio of Kim, Mutch and Whitts play together. I know there's a lot of love for Aron but his skill set is rather limited and I am not convinced his huff and puff has the required class for the league above. At times he has looked rather 4th division this year.
Kate
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1754
Posting Flair : 220

PostKate Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:30 am

Caer y Glyn wrote:I want to see a midfield trio of Kim, Mutch and Whitts play together. I know there's a lot of love for Aron but his skill set is rather limited and I am not convinced his huff and puff has the required class for the league above. At times he has looked rather 4th division this year.

I understand what you are saying but I must confess I heart Aron.
There is no doubt that others are more technically gifted but I feel these gifted players need to be supported by the toughie, who puts a foot in, protects the back four and of course the added bonuses of his assists and goals. He is our Keane/Viera (I am not saying same standard as them) and still pretty young so may yet rise to these great heights but I am biased. I think this is the role Kiss was originally fulfilling.
Caldi Blue
Caldi Blue
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 3884
Posting Flair : 540

PostCaldi Blue Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:53 am

Aron's touch and passing let him down too often and he could get found out in the Premier League. Not that I don't like him, I do, but he may struggle, whereas Whitts won't struggle with his touch and vision.

As I've said on here before Whitts has been involved in a 2 man midfield for most of the season in a role that is, for many (myself included) a little too deep. It's easy to forget that Aron didn't exactly look like a world beater either, but as there was less expectancy on his shoulders to get MOTM each week he wasn't singled out like Whitts.

Whitts would thrive next to Mutch and Kim, 2 players who not only have good technique, but also aren't afraid to get stuck in. Kim isn't the weak little Asian lad who some (not necessarily on here) condescendingly referred to him in not long ago, he's a hell of a strong lad.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:30 am

Kate wrote:
Caer y Glyn wrote:I want to see a midfield trio of Kim, Mutch and Whitts play together. I know there's a lot of love for Aron but his skill set is rather limited and I am not convinced his huff and puff has the required class for the league above. At times he has looked rather 4th division this year.

I understand what you are saying but I must confess I heart Aron.
There is no doubt that others are more technically gifted but I feel these gifted players need to be supported by the toughie, who puts a foot in, protects the back four and of course the added bonuses of his assists and goals. He is our Keane/Viera (I am not saying same standard as them) and still pretty young so may yet rise to these great heights but I am biased. I think this is the role Kiss was originally fulfilling.

Kiss & Gunnarsson arrived at the same time and I think the idea was that they would be interchangeable. That may still happen.

I agree that someone like Gunnarsson is a vital part of most midfield units. I have always followed Spurs as well and the excellent team of the 80s that included Glenn Hoddle, Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardilles also had Graham Roberts who really held everything together and let the creative players get on with the fancy stuff........ What next for Peter Whittingham? - Page 2 1525230823
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum