Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Phil Blue/Red
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1550
Posting Flair : 130

PostPhil Blue/Red Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:31 am

At the beginning of the season I would never have imagined MM omitting Peter Whittingham from the starting XI. However after an indifferent period of form, Whitts was dropped and Kim Bo Kyung and Jordon Mutch were introduced into a revamped five man midfield. The improvement in City's attacking play in particular, has been quite remarkable since the change was made. Kimbo has been quite outstanding. So where does this leave Whittingham? Could it be, that after being the driving force in midfield and our outstanding player over the last three seasons, he will be simply be a bit part player when City finally take their place in the Premier League next season.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:38 am

Good question Phil - it's difficult situation for the guy to be in. But at the end of the day, I have to go with what is good for the whole team and at the moment, Whitts doesn't fit in.

We all knew this day would come Sad
Phil Blue/Red
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

PostPhil Blue/Red Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:45 am

Rhys wrote:Good question Phil - it's difficult situation for the guy to be in. But at the end of the day, I have to go with what is good for the whole team and at the moment, Whitts doesn't fit in.

We all knew this day would come Sad
What's sad in my view, is the loyalty he has shown to the City when he could probably have moved on to a Premier League club on a number of occasions in the last few seasons. Then just when we're on the verge of promotion his form desserts him.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:57 am

The roles he has been asked to play this season have not helped at all and he has been nowhere near his best for a long time.

On top form, I am sure he can fit into a midfield rotation with Kimbo, Mutch & Gunnarsson, but he will need to step up his game to something like it was a season or so back.
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:58 am

You aint seen the last of Whitts... the lad is knackered.... Whitts probably has more game time than any other player under Malky... back next season hopefully in the Prem doing whatever the f*ck he wants What next for Peter Whittingham? 1525230823
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:05 am

Whitts will be an excellent option to rotate with Mutch and Kim, ensuring all three stay fairly fresh. I think Mutch and Kim have greater potential but Whitts has been chased by Fulham for a few years for a reason.

The only concern I have is that it's clear 4-5-1 suits us best, but to utilise it in the Prem, we need to really push for an excellent all-round striker. A lot hinges on that.
lottydottyblue
lottydottyblue
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1338
Posting Flair : 60

Postlottydottyblue Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:31 am

Valley Trash wrote:You aint seen the last of Whitts... the lad is knackered.... Whitts probably has more game time than any other player under Malky... back next season hopefully in the Prem doing whatever the f*ck he wants What next for Peter Whittingham? 1525230823

I agree 100%. As the saying goes,'form is temporary, class is permanent'.
Phil Blue/Red
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

PostPhil Blue/Red Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:34 am

Slumdog's Son™ wrote:Whitts will be an excellent option to rotate with Mutch and Kim, ensuring all three stay fairly fresh. I think Mutch and Kim have greater potential but Whitts has been chased by Fulham for a few years for a reason.

The only concern I have is that it's clear 4-5-1 suits us best, but to utilise it in the Prem, we need to really push for an excellent all-round striker. A lot hinges on that.

Interesting point you make about a new striker because the name doing the rounds at the moment is Alfred Finnbogason of Heerenveen in the Dutch League. According to a number of reliable sources, MM has been watching him for quite a while.(So have other current Premier League clubs.)
He is from Iceland and has scored 27 goals in 29 games this season.
The interesting fact which might make him perfect for our formation is he plays as a lone striker for his club!
The only problem might be the fact that he signed a new 3-year contract at the beginning of this season, so we won't get him on the cheap.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:46 am

Phil Blue/Red wrote:
Slumdog's Son™️ wrote:Whitts will be an excellent option to rotate with Mutch and Kim, ensuring all three stay fairly fresh. I think Mutch and Kim have greater potential but Whitts has been chased by Fulham for a few years for a reason.

Interesting point you make about a new striker because the name doing the rounds at the moment is Alfred Finnbogason of Heerenveen in the Dutch League. According to a number of reliable sources, MM has been watching him for quite a while.(So have other current Premier League clubs.)
He is from Iceland and has scored 27 goals in 29 games this season.
The interesting fact which might make him perfect for our formation is he plays as a lone striker for his club!
The only problem might be the fact that he signed a new 3-year contract at the beginning of this season, so we won't get him on the cheap.

AC Milan actually watched him in November. But he is a good mate of Gunns and we seem to be very keen on the Icelanders so this may swing things...?!

I think we may be able to attract a better calibre of player than we give ourselves credit for in the summer though. Cardiff is a great City, we have a good, expandable stadium, potentially a move to top class training facilities, excellent off-field setup, Prem football and maybe huge exposure in Asia...? So I don't think we should rule the likes of Finbo or van Dijk out just because other Prem teams are interested... What next for Peter Whittingham? 833362651
Welshineire
Welshineire
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1168
Posting Flair : 100

PostWelshineire Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:50 am

So much of what has been good in recent years has stemmed from Whitts, now we have others that have been able to pick up the mantle. There is no question that he will need to up his game next season, but this is where true quality shines through. I don't doubt that he will meet the challenge, we are less reliant on single individuals, and that is positive.
R-DONO
R-DONO
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 7195
Posting Flair : 490

PostR-DONO Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:52 am

A summer of training and no pressure could do him the world of good.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:53 am

Welshineire wrote:So much of what has been good in recent years has stemmed from Whitts, now we have others that have been able to pick up the mantle. There is no question that he will need to up his game next season, but this is where true quality shines through. I don't doubt that he will meet the challenge, we are less reliant on single individuals, and that is positive.

Well said, and that's what has given us a bit of an edge this year. If we can make a couple of good signings we might stand a decent chance of staying up next year...
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:50 am

lottydottyblue wrote:I agree 100%. As the saying goes,'form is temporary, class is permanent'.
lotty, you have been reading too many booksWhat next for Peter Whittingham? 2361983666
Man Of Harlech
Man Of Harlech
Squad Player
Squad Player
User Points : 369
Posting Flair : 30

PostMan Of Harlech Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:46 am

He will shine again for us in the prem. Of that I have no doubt.
Caer y Glyn
Caer y Glyn
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1927
Posting Flair : 70

PostCaer y Glyn Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:12 pm

It would be lovely if we see a trademark Whitts 20 yarder tonight!
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum