View previous topic View next topic Go down

TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:01 am

If anyone is having problems with Windows 8, do not, under any circumstances, follow the MS guidelnes and perform a "refresh" on your machine.

The refresh is supposed to leave existing files in place, but will wipe anything downloaded or installed, even software separately supplied with the machine. MS and other non-MS stuff is supposed to be saved in a folder "windows.old", but evidently, that is not foolproof and users have lost thousands of £ worth of software and many hours of downloads.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:38 am

Everything is A.O.K. for me at the moment.

What problems are you having tda?
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:46 am

I'm building a pc in January, and currently scratching my head between windows 7 and 8. The difference is less than a tenner but since I'm not opting for a touch screen 7 makes more sense to me.

But yeah, never, ever trust microsoft advice. If possible, back everything up onto a second drive or even better an external.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:13 am

I've been having problems with Flash player crashing in Firefox and also Windows Modules Installer eating up CPU whenever the machine is left idle for more than 5 minutes. Also Adobe Reader doesn't close and churns away in the background. That can only be closed from Task Manager.

These are W8 problems and tbh, unless you really want a touch screen, avoid W8 like the plague.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:45 am

I stopped using Firefox for that issue - it's not a specific W8 problem as far as I can tell. Firefox seems unstable, so I use Chrome which I have to say is excellent.

Sounds to me like Adobe Reader is being loaded at start up - have you noticed that and tried deactivating it for start up via Task Manager? Programs like that sneak into the bootup and slow the whole machine down.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:06 am

Arkay Dubya wrote:I stopped using Firefox for that issue - it's not a specific W8 problem as far as I can tell. Firefox seems unstable, so I use Chrome which I have to say is excellent.

Sounds to me like Adobe Reader is being loaded at start up - have you noticed that and tried deactivating it for start up via Task Manager? Programs like that sneak into the bootup and slow the whole machine down.

I have taken Reader out of start up, but the problem occurs when I open a PDF. Just closing the program is not effective and it continues to run in the background. I have to leave Task Manager open and close it from there every time. Bloody annoying, but no fix yet offered by anyone.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostRhys Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:39 pm

Red, I would highly recommend Wins 8. After the 8.1 update, all the annoying features of wins 8 can be largely ignored and you can gain all the benefits (much, much quicker and responsive).

Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostRhys Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:42 pm

TDA - try using a free software called Glary Utilities. It is brilliant for cleaning and fixing little niggles on your computer or any well known software - Adobe included
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:15 pm

Rhys wrote:TDA - try using a free software called Glary Utilities. It is brilliant for cleaning and fixing little niggles on your computer or any well known software - Adobe included

Thanks Rhys, I will. The other problem I have is that my laptop won't download W8.1. I keep getting the message that I am not connected to the internet, when, obviously, I am. Anyway, it won't run............... O/T Windows 8 3392635135
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum