Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:35 pm

For those using the new operating system, W8.1 will be rolling out at the end of June. A few cosmetic upgrades by the looks of things.

Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:32 pm

Fair play - windows 8 does look very pretty.

They only thing is though, I bought it for my desktop and largely ignore the new interface and use the system much the same as I did before.

I bet this system works great on a tablet though

Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Rhys wrote:Fair play - windows 8 does look very pretty.

They only thing is though, I bought it for my desktop and largely ignore the new interface and use the system much the same as I did before.

I bet this system works great on a tablet though

Yes, I find the same thing. The Metro interface is very nice BUT not really geared for desktop or laptops (without touch screens) thus it becomes almost redundant, which is a shame.
JB
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 8171
Posting Flair : 320

PostJB Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:49 pm

Had W8 and went back to W7. For a designer W8 is the anti christ.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:31 pm

Jon Snow wrote:Had W8 and went back to W7. For a designer W8 is the anti christ.

I am tempted to do the same.........it's a bloody nightmare on my laptop. Also, I can't get a W8 driver for my printer...... Windows 8 Update 904430666
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:51 am

Surprisingly two of the most rumoured features seem to be missing. Many people who don't like Windows 8 have cited the disappearance of the conventional Start Menu as a major annoyance while others who still prefer to work from an old style desktop wanted an option to boot directly to the desktop missing out the Metro screen.

It was thought that Windows 8.1 would solve these gripes however i sense Microsoft must see it as backing down on what they are trying to do - converting people into using Metro and Apps as it will then allow a seamless transition with how it would work on phones and tablets.

Those who really want a start menu and the option to boot to the desktop will need to continue to use third party programs by the looks of it. Many unware of these options or simply too frustrated with having to negotiate Metro all the time in an environment it is not designed for (the keyboards, mice and trackpads of laptops and desktops) might simply give up and try to revert back to a previous version.

Personally i am disappointed these features seem not to have made it onto the upgrade. If i go ahead and get my new computer later in the year the first thing i am likely to be doing with it is modifying it to get it work more like previous Windows versions.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:11 am

Yes - the start button had returned. You catch a glimpse of it in the video but its not talked about. Not to sure about the booting to the desktop mind.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:35 am

Rhys wrote:Yes - the start button had returned. You catch a glimpse of it in the video but its not talked about. Not to sure about the booting to the desktop mind.

Windows 8 Update 3874419067

I have seen the Start Button in other previews of W8 too. It could be they don't want to dwell on it for, as you say Toastie, it might seem like a bit of a climb down. Those who want it will know about it, so perhaps Microsoft just won't highlight it to the Average Joe using Windows.
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostToast Boy Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:39 am

Rhys wrote:Yes - the start button had returned. You catch a glimpse of it in the video but its not talked about. Not to sure about the booting to the desktop mind.

That does sound better. If they have put that one in maybe the other change made it too. I will have to do a little research and see what changes have been made altogether. There was talk about the upgraded version either being minimal cost or even free to people who already had W8. So pricing will be interesting to see too when announced.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:57 am

I did find a Start Button "add on" for my W8 and that works fine. Pity about the rest of the system....horrible, horrible, horrible!

It should never be installed on machines without touchscreen..... Windows 8 Update 3392635135
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostToast Boy Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:00 am

Hmmm. Info from this page seems to suggest that the Start Button might not be what people expect and hope it to be.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/29/windows_81_start_button/

It seems it's only option will be bring you back to the new Metro style start screen rather than providing the combination of list of programs, folders and locations that users have been used to before.

Boot to desktop should make it under 8.1 even though it won't be a default option. Still a few other things i think i might have problems with. From everything i have read the option to tile windows side by side (eg. 3 running web pages visible at the same time) seems to be missing (not sure if that is even on Windows 7 as i am still using Vista).

If my purchase ends up being an ultrabook then i think the touchscreen experience along (hopefully) with all day battery life might make the upgrade worthwhile.
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostToast Boy Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:03 am

TDA wrote:

I did find a Start Button "add on" for my W8 and that works fine. Pity about the rest of the system....horrible, horrible, horrible!

It should never be installed on machines without touchscreen..... Windows 8 Update 3392635135

Do you find if you switch straight away to the old style desktop with the right shortcuts on it that it is better TDA? Or does Metro find a way of rearing it's head all the time even if you try to shut it out?
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:34 am

No doubt that the old style desktop is better and the start button boots up fine each time. The problem is that the screen keeps switching to Metro if the cursor goes anywhere near the corners of the screen. If I knew how to shut down Metro I would........
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:06 am

TDA wrote:No doubt that the old style desktop is better and the start button boots up fine each time. The problem is that the screen keeps switching to Metro if the cursor goes anywhere near the corners of the screen. If I knew how to shut down Metro I would........
Would this help, I wonder?
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2027945/how-to-banish-metro-from-your-windows-8-pc-forever.html

I've no idea what it does or doesn't do, so I put in a full disclaimer on any consequences, but it might be worth a read at least.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:11 am

The Tonker wrote:
TDA wrote:No doubt that the old style desktop is better and the start button boots up fine each time. The problem is that the screen keeps switching to Metro if the cursor goes anywhere near the corners of the screen. If I knew how to shut down Metro I would........
Would this help, I wonder?
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2027945/how-to-banish-metro-from-your-windows-8-pc-forever.html

I've no idea what it does or doesn't do, so I put in a full disclaimer on any consequences, but it might be worth a read at least.

Ha...the voice of experience!! Thanks Tonker, I'll have a look and report back.......
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum