View previous topic View next topic Go down

TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:47 pm

I have no doubt that the majority of members here will be aware of this type of scam, but I did receive a call on Friday which went exactly along the lines of that described in this link........

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/i-am-calling-you-from-windows-a-tech-support-scammer-dials-ars-technica/

No harm done in my case, as I am a suspicious soul by nature and insisted on a number I could call the guy back on to verify the authenticity. A quick Google search confirmed what I suspected.

However, I was mildly concerned that the call came in on our private landline here in France. I suppose that could have just have been randomly pulled from a telephone directory, or is it more likely that details have been harvested from MS?

Anyone have any ideas?
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:57 pm

I've had similar, even though my old windows computer has been unused for several years as I'm on apple.

Bizarrely, my 83 year old mother in law has also had a few of them, even though she's never owned a computer (she delights in stringing them along for ages before breaking this news to them).

These calls have also come through on private land lines, so I assume they're randomly pulled from the telephone directory.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:04 am

I am hoping that they were trawling the phone book, but, if so, they must try to identify English speakers, as they called me in France, but spoke English from the outset........ O/T Windows Technical Support Scam 3392635135
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:24 am

Great work thanks TDA.. I have a long list of pensioner's phone numbers and I really didn't know what to do with it.... Now thanks to your detailed explanation of how to conduct this scam I feel confident enough to go on TripAdvisor and choose the Seychelles Resort I will now certainly be holidaying at this year...
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum