View previous topic View next topic Go down

Happy Days
Happy Days
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 2657
Posting Flair : 260

PostHappy Days Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:14 am

At the end of last season when I first heard about the re-brand I was shocked and pissed off, but after some thought and given what the option seemed to be at the time (red or dead), that annoyance turned to ambivalence and pragmatism and then a begrudging acceptance.

That begrudging acceptance has worn thinner and thinner as the season has gone on. Firstly it was the sight of people actually wearing the red merchandise. I had really hoped, against hope I suppose, that at very least the fans that continued to attend games would go along with it all but refuse to buy the red stuff. That in itself would have sent the message that we don't want it.
Then the blue away shirt disappearing from the club shop for months, then the team not wearing blue against Blackpool, the behind the scenes business in the boardroom and now you've got the very cynical scarf business.

The whole of the football league is taking the piss out of us and it's hard to argue with them really isn't it, and it all just so, so unnecessary.

I've been posting on here albeit not prolifically from the start, and I was under the impression that most on here were "Begrudging" or "Reluctant Reds", but recently it seems as though nobody actually cares less and some seem to be revelling in the disappointment, dismay, anger that genuine Cardiff City fans feel towards what has happened, which is sad because you all seem like a decent bunch of chaps.

I just feel a bit of a hypocrite posting on here, so I'm knocking it on the head. All the best lads and Happy Days.

Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:10 pm

Sorry to hear that Happy Days and I hope you change your mind and decide to stay/come back.

I think you will probably find that we are mostly "reluctant reds" on here (myself included) but I also think we're trying to keep things in perspective and do our best to look at the positives rather than get involved in some of the hysteria that has come out of the very badly handled rebrand. It's not easy, no question, but ultimately, we still want to enjoy supporting Cardiff and keep football a positive thing in our lives.

(That makes it sound like I'm speaking for everyone, not my intention at all, it is my considered view of this forum.)

I expect some of our frivolity does come across as ambivalence or mocking, again, it is meant with good heart and jest and certainly with no offence intended. It is sad that such a situation has arisen but there are clearly divisions within the fanbase that are as unwelcome as the rebrand and it has proved to be a highly emotive subject that is often very difficult to express via a forum without seeming disrespectful.

I believe Rhys' intention with this forum was to respect everyone's opinions - as they are all valid - and just focus on supporting City, as that is ultimately what the users of this board want to do. So I'm very sorry, if you feel your opinion has been marginalised but I would encourage you to stay and keep talking and debating and reminding us of all the facets of what is a very complicated and heated issue. It would be a loss to the forum if this was to happen.

Anyway, that's enough from me. I wish you well with whatever you choose - it's been a pleasure!

Bluebirds! Goodbye 833362651
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 5923
Posting Flair : 460

PostG-ster Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:42 pm

I consider myself as a 'reluctant red', and have yet to see any reasoned argument for changing the shirt colour and badge. I am frankly embarrassed at some of the club's attempts at PR, and the free scarf issue is clearly a cynical ploy aimed at increasing the proliferation of red among fans at home games.

However, Cardiff City is my local team so I can't just walk away. My main concern is what happens on the field of play, and there is no doubt that the investment in the team has been successful. I hate the culture of 'professional fans' who claim to be superior because they have been to X number of games, etc. It's just escapism for me and a few pints with friends before and after.

The rebrand doesn't feature that strongly as a topic of conversation on this message board and is all the better for it. We've all moved on from that.

Sorry to see you go Happy Days, but I'm sure you will be welcomed back by us all if you have a change of heart.

Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 22790
Posting Flair : 760

PostTans Tache Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Happy Days I wish I could say something to make u stay, but seems as though u have made up your mind to leave, You leaving this forum is like losing my Bollocks, so in the words of that song "please don't go"

This forum was setup as a view to respect everyones feelings for the rebrand, Some have dealt with it better than others, but We are all city fans, Anyway its been a pleasure interacting with u, Albeit Not as much as I prob should do on Here,
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Sorry to see you go Happy Days, but fully agree with the posts from G-ster and Arkay. Its all about what happens on the pitch. The club's attempts at PR are an embarrassment, but this has always been the case for years.

There's a big spectrum of fans, ranging from die-hard KCBs through reluctant reds to those who fully accept it, not forgetting a probable clutch of new fans who don't even know what the fuss is about. None of these groups has a monopoly on 'true fan' status, and I do get fed up with the 'holier than thou' attitude expressed in some quarters.

I've never worn club colours to games, mainly because I grew up in an era when it hadn't been though of. I can't say I'm bothered if people wear blue or red or anything else. While I would never buy one, I will happily accept a scarf on Tuesday, not that I will wear it, but it will be a memento of a momentous period in City's history (which includes the rebrand). But the only thing that matters is the football on the pitch.
Welshineire
Welshineire
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1168
Posting Flair : 100

PostWelshineire Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Look the general feeling is that we now play in red but would rather be playing in blue. The truth is we have little control over this unless we walk away or protest on mass. That hasn't happened this far, and I for one don't think it will. The survival of the club was the number one priority, and that seems to be in safe hands, I think. Investment for the future is also a key factor, and I hope that VT is true to his word. Money and investment has been evident in the current squad, and that has to be a good thing. The colour, while important to me, is further down the list of priorities. This forum seems to enjoy much of the football banter but without the animosity and anger that the rebrand has generated elsewhere. It doesn't mean we don't care, or are pro red, it just means that many of us have put it lower down on our list of priorities. Good luck fella, I'm sure the door will always be open to you.
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:14 pm

Happy Days wrote:
that genuine Cardiff City fans feel towards what has happened
i am 70 years old, saw my first match when i was 18 and have followed city through thick and thin although i did not always go to niniam park. have only held a season ticket for 10 years or so.

the malaysian connection has bought this club fnancial stability. we peered into the abyss, never fell, but for them. although i regret the passing of blue, red and black is a nice combination and now sees us on the verge of the promised land. we did not have an option. those who would sooner see us stay blue, but in the vauxhall conference are behaving like luddites.

i resent being told that only the likes of you, the die-hard blue brigade, are the only "genuine cardiff city fans". since when did you posess a monopoly of virtue. with an attitude like that you are best gone
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:27 pm

davewebber65 wrote:
Happy Days wrote:
i am 70 years old, saw my first match when i was 18 and have followed city through thick and thin although i did not always go to niniam park. have only held a season ticket for 10 years or so.

the malaysian connection has bought this club fnancial stability. we peered into the abyss, never fell, but for them. although i regret the passing of blue, red and black is a nice combination and now sees us on the verge of the promised land. we did not have an option. those who would sooner see us stay blue, but in the vauxhall conference are behaving like luddites.

i resent being told that only the likes of you, the die-hard blue brigade, are the only "genuine cardiff city fans". since when did you posess a monopoly of virtue. with an attitude like that you are best gone

I am 100% with Dave on this..................the longer you have been a supporter of this club, the more you will realise just what "manna from heaven" really means. Cardiff City has always deserved to be a much bigger club than it has been, but that was never going to happen without a major rethink on and off the field.

Furthermore, 25,500 fans for Saturday would seem to indicate that the majority are happy with the ways things are progressing.

By the way, if there is a freebee scarf going after Tuesday, I'll happily pay the postage to have it sent out to me...... Goodbye 1525230823
Welshineire
Welshineire
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1168
Posting Flair : 100

PostWelshineire Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:36 pm

Sorry happy days, I think that was the sound of someone shutting the door behind you. You'll have to knock now.
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:57 pm

davewebber65 wrote:
Happy Days wrote:

I'm disappointed in your first sentence Dave because it means i can't claim to be the oldest poster on here! Nevertheless, I agree with what you are saying and also get annoyed when I see references to what 'genuine Cardiff fans' feel. I've been watching since 1957 and like to think I'm a fairly genuine fan but keep hearing that I'm not, simply because I have a pragmatic attitude to what's happened this season.
Personally, it feels the same having a few beers and watching the game with mates as it always has done. As for losing our history and heritage, I can't get my head around that one at all - it's still there!
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:05 pm

Is this our first official flounce?
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:19 pm

I sincerely hope Happy Days continues to post on RBMB as he is one of our big characters and his light hearted ranting posts always make me laugh... This board will not be the same without him... I don't think we have any out and out pro reds just a lot of pragmatists who want to continue to support Cardiff City without all the nonsense that has followed the club's lifeline... Ignore anything I've ever posted Happy Days (which I'm sure you all do) as I'm a piss taking barsteward to the core...

This board for me is a place where I can share opinions with like minded and mostly cleverer (VTT excepted) city supporters

I'll respect his decision whatever it is as he too appears to be a thoroughly decent chap.... Best wishes mate, stay lucky and C'mon City

Also HD if you do go can I have your RBMB points Goodbye 3392635135
Colonel Cardiffi
Colonel Cardiffi
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 10721
Posting Flair : 1193
https://social-media-posting.com

PostColonel Cardiffi Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:23 pm

The Tonker wrote:Is this our first official flounce?

Another first on the RBMB! Goodbye 3210875682 Goodbye 3210875682 Goodbye 3210875682

Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:28 pm

I'm sorry to see you go Happy Days. I do agree with the posts above in many aspects. The shirt colour is lower down my priority list than other things, even other City related things like financial stability and the survival of the club. Tan still has a way to go to achieve that and prove his worth but i am afraid at the moment i am not going to get too irate at the colour of the shirt or the ideas he has to promote it like the free scarf.

That doesn't mean i don't care. I would choose blue if possible but i am not the man with the money calling the shots so all i can do is go down the City and support my team - it is all i really want to do anyway. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you were defending those angered pro blues as true fans and not questioning those who more readily accept red as not being true fans. Either way i won't apologise for the pricking of a few bubbles regarding those mostly fiercely pro blue.

The reason i am on this board in the first place is the animosity and abuse aimed at anyone accepting the rebrand from certain quarters. I just got fed up of being told my reasons for accepting it - that i was a whore, that i would 'sell my soul' or that of the club for Premiership glory. I repeat what i said in an earlier piece. I just want to see my club survive and thrive - to be all it can be. I will debate the rebrand with anyone who is civil about it but i won't listen to talk of 'ripping the soul out of the club' or 'true fans who oppose Tan and refuse to take the scarf' without trying to prick that pomposity or knock those people off their pedestal.

I hope you feel that you can come back and enjoy the board - i for one hope you return.
aging_harry
Academy Player
User Points : 334
Posting Flair : 10
http://www.freewebs.com/diarco/league-table.html

Postaging_harry Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:00 am

I am also not so many years behind you in age Dave but i do agree 100% with what you have posted. I am proud to support CARDIFF CITY FC no matter what colour they play in.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum