View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:25 am

I'm going to stick my neck out and look really sexist here. I'm sat watching France V England in a women's friendly and the quality of football is apalling. I'm yet to see a pass made with the right amount of pace, leading to the ball being lost or intercepted virtually every other move. The first touches are poor and the ball keeps bobbling off to an opponent and crosses fly hopelessly over the bar, and are attempted for some reason even when there is no one in the box. Both England and France are guilty of this.

Not the first time I've encountered this, it does look virtually factual that for whatever reason, the women aren't as talented as the men.

Just as I wrote this England scored from a free kick. The commentator said it was a great shot, but actually the keeper inexplicably stood right behind the wall, meaning all the girl had to do was boot it into the empty space.
NN2Red2
NN2Red2
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1617
Posting Flair : 80

PostNN2Red2 Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:51 am

Red614 wrote:I'm going to stick my neck out and look really sexist here. I'm sat watching France V England in a women's friendly and the quality of football is apalling. I'm yet to see a pass made with the right amount of pace, leading to the ball being lost or intercepted virtually every other move. The first touches are poor and the ball keeps bobbling off to an opponent and crosses fly hopelessly over the bar, and are attempted for some reason even when there is no one in the box. Both England and France are guilty of this.

Not the first time I've encountered this, it does look virtually factual that for whatever reason, the women aren't as talented as the men.

Just as I wrote this England scored from a free kick. The commentator said it was a great shot, but actually the keeper inexplicably stood right behind the wall, meaning all the girl had to do was boot it into the empty space.

The general standard of play is difficult to assess. Though there are some good, physical, fast, skillful players, the overall standard, comes nowhere near to men's football. There seems to have been a concerted effort to sell women's football. Some are buying, but it's not for me.

"Women's Football"
"Women's Cricket"
"Military Precision"

Oxymoron's the lot of 'em!
Kamuza
Kamuza
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 4084
Posting Flair : 832

PostKamuza Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:20 pm

I gave it a go during the Olympics but it's not for me either.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:57 pm

I've found that the American (North and South) and Scandinavian teams seem to be of a significantly higher standard than the rest of the world. The good things in women's football are the lack of diving and minimal referee harassment, but technically the standard isn't as good
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Phew, I haven't been lynched yet. Always a good thing.

I guess it's a sheer curiosity as to why the difference exists, really. A lack of testosterone would make women less aggressive that explains potentially part of it, but I can't think of a physiological reason why the difference in ball control capability seems to be so wide. In other sports its easily explainable, in golf the men hit the ball simply so much farther, basketball is a game where aggression is key. But football? I don't get it.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:25 pm

I wonder if men play football from a young age whereas a lot of girls convert to it from other sports at a later age
SteWells
SteWells
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 1655
Posting Flair : 100

PostSteWells Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:57 pm

It's nothing to do with ability. The difference exists because there's no money in the women's game.

If you're male and you look to be half decent at football, you'll be (or you'll have the opportunity to be) coached from what, 4 or 5years of age, if not younger.
Women / girls just don't get that chance. The set up isn't there.

The money put into youth coaching and development is massive, but it's all geared towards finding young boys.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:05 pm

SteWells wrote:It's nothing to do with ability. The difference exists because there's no money in the women's game.

If you're male and you look to be half decent at football, you'll be (or you'll have the opportunity to be) coached from what, 4 or 5years of age, if not younger.
Women / girls just don't get that chance. The set up isn't there.

The money put into youth coaching and development is massive, but it's all geared towards finding young boys.

A slightly worrying statement...

Are women bad at football? 2854552383
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:12 am

Yup, with SteWells here. It's not inherent within culture for women to play football. At school, or at least at my school, they were all pushed toward netball and hockey while boys toward rugby, and somewhat reluctantly, football. At lunchtimes though, the vast majority of boys would be kicking a football about.

You could also say it's as about as rare to find a girl as interested in the game as it is to find a man who isn't. Make sense? Ok, so to clarify, I only know maybe 2 or 3 friends who are girls who I could talk footie with and about the same number of lads who I couldn't actually talk footie with.

When it's endemic like that, it's inevitably going to transfer down the line to the quality of the adult game. Likewise, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know of any men who play netball - it's just not something we've been pushed toward.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the USA v Canada game at the Olympics, the quality of the play was overall pretty poor (although, that did make it more exciting!) it looked like non-league standard at best.

So, don't worry Red I don't think that's sexist it just seems to be a cultural thing and until girls start playing from an early age (and thus the quality, interest and funding goes up over time) the women's version of the game will always lag behind the mens.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:14 am

Yeah I think it's been summed up pretty well by Arkay and SteWells. I personally don't know ANY girls that could converse fluently or comfortably about football
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:46 am

Done some match-reporting for Women's football in the week. The best players are just as good as many male footballers, but there tends to only be a couple of them per team.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum