View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:16 am

Stan Collymore is a man I respect most of the time. Knows what he is talking about football wise and comes up with some great conversation points (should the champions league only comprise of it's participating nations champions is a good one). But in the last hour he's starting wildly retweeting fans that are against modern football, claiming that they only ever watch league 1 and league 2 football because the rest is too manafactures. I have many problems with this -

1. I still think 18 year olds trying to tell me how the modern football game is so much worse than I was in the 80's and 90's is idiotic.

2. I bet they all have Sky Sports contracts that allow them to watch games from across the world. Didn't have that twenty years ago.

3.I bet they've all used an iPhone app to check a football score too, when twenty years ago your only option would be radio or a newspaper.

Honestly this is just a ranting post really. Some parts of modern football aren't great, I completely agree, but this 'against modern football' campaign is a load of rubbish put together by individuals with superiority complexes that want to use every opportunity they can to prove they're better football fans than anyone else.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:17 am

I don't like Collymore.
Kamuza
Kamuza
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 4084
Posting Flair : 832

PostKamuza Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:34 am

My old dad has some football magazines from the late fifties and the letter pages are full of people moaning about modern football, players who aren't as tough as they used to be and players being overpaid.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:36 am

Kamuza wrote:My old dad has some football magazines from the late fifties and the letter pages are full of people moaning about modern football, players who aren't as tough as they used to be and players being overpaid.
'Against Modern Football' 692773407
Colonel Cardiffi
Colonel Cardiffi
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 10721
Posting Flair : 1193
https://social-media-posting.com

PostColonel Cardiffi Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:52 am

Kamuza wrote:My old dad has some football magazines from the late fifties and the letter pages are full of people moaning about modern football, players who aren't as tough as they used to be and players being overpaid.

Really?

Kamuza
Kamuza
International Call-Up
International Call-Up

PostKamuza Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:01 am

Colonel Cardiffi wrote:

Really?

Absolutely. He has a collection of Charles Buchan Football Specials. I helped him store them and spent mire time reading them and the letters really were the same comments you'd see today.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:01 pm

Cheers for dramatically adding to te weight of my conclusion Kamuza 'Against Modern Football' 1525230823

People just like to whinge because they feel it makes them superior to other fans. I'm sure if you went back far enough you'd find people complaining the game was better when the football wasnt invented and instead you just kicked a big rock around, the winner being the last one to break a toe.
Ankle Biter
Academy Player
User Points : 291
Posting Flair : 50

PostAnkle Biter Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:52 pm

I'm against modern football too. They should kick a pigs stomach around the pitch for 90 minutes, with the pig still attached. See how they like that. Bloody namby pamby moddle coddled fancy pants champaign sipping gucci wearing over indulged whipper snappers. That'd learn em.
Colin's Reversible Hat
Colin's Reversible Hat
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
User Points : 1109
Posting Flair : 50
http://twitter.com/aledwills91

PostColin's Reversible Hat Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:57 pm

Totally agree with most of what's been written in this thread, apart from Collymore having valid opinions.
The vast majority, if not all of the people spouting this Against Modern Football s**t are doing so for their own egotistical interests in an attempt to out-do other fans and make them look superior.
This is the main problem I have with this FC Bluebirds nonsense; along with it being a direct rival to the club we support, the most common comment I've heard from its 'supporters' is "only true Cardiff fans will support this club, the rest aren't real football fans etc etc". It's all done to blow one's own trumpet, and I can't f**king stand it.
Kamuza
Kamuza
International Call-Up
International Call-Up

PostKamuza Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:30 pm

May I cheekily add that advocating a Champions only Champions League is a return to the old way of doing things and therefore a smidgen against modern football
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Hey you're not pinning me down on be that one Kamuza, I've already said I don't nessecerily think EVERYTHING is absolutely fine 'Against Modern Football' 692773407
Kamuza
Kamuza
International Call-Up
International Call-Up

PostKamuza Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:53 pm

I was just playing Devil's Advocate and I'd got to the bit where my cat, playing the role of Charlize Theron, was going mental when I thought Id post a smart ass comment on here.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:00 am

Kamuza wrote:I was just playing Devil's Advocate and I'd got to the bit where my cat, playing the role of Charlize Theron, was going mental when I thought Id post a smart ass comment on here.

If my cat played the role of Charlize Theron I would have sex with it 'Against Modern Football' 635981802
Caldi Blue
Caldi Blue
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 3884
Posting Flair : 540

PostCaldi Blue Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:53 am

Yeh it's a load of bollocks. Football is just like any industry, it's forever changing at such a rate. I remember in 96, or 95, can't remember exactly, when Shearer went to Newcastle for £15mil and people were outraged and Shearer was one of the very best number 9s in the world, if not THE best. A few years before that people were going crazy when Cole went from Newcastle to Man U for £7.5 mil and this was a striker who would guarantee 25+ goals a season. And remember Keane went on 50k a week? Again, outrage.

Like Kamuza says, there has always been outrage and people have always complained about things. People moan about players diving now, but it's no worse than when I was a kid. Look at footage from the 70s and players were diving, the only different is that there are more cameras now and more analysis on EVERY game.

Against Modern Football? What football hasn't been modern? Grow up, go and do something with real purpose, go and find a genuine cause to fight.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:38 am

Anyone remember Jose Dominguez? Arguably the greatest diver of all time
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum