Is it hipocritical being 'Against Modern Football' when you have never experienced traditional football?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:30 pm

This topic is inspired by one on CCMB, by Dudders. First off, ill share something that made me laugh. The man that's declared he will never watch Cardiff City again because they've 'sold out to modern football', went to watch Manchester City last night, who apparently don't count.

But yeah, personal opinions aside. There's lots to debate and I'm not sure it's appropriate here as it can and will descend into an argument, just like CCMB has. The point I'm raising is one i found interesting. Many, many of our fans, and Palaces 'Ultras', are very young. May are under thirty, some are in their teens still. They haven't experienced football for more than 20 years maximum most of them. Is this then hipocritical them telling everyone else how horrible a fan they are for supporting the game when they have never experienced what they actually want? Is it any different to a 25 year old boy goin around shouting at pensioners that 'in my day things were different'?
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:50 pm

If you've never experienced 'traditional' football, however that's defined, to say you're against modern football is just saying you're against football full stop.

If you have experienced traditional football, then to say you're against modern football just demonstrates that you have problems adjusting to change. It's harking back to a mythical golden age that never really existed.

Football has always changed. In the 70s, which I guess may form many people's idea of 'traditional' football, it was very different from, say, in the 40s. The changes in recent years may have been more far-reaching, but that's a reflection of life in general. And like life, some of the changes are good, some bad.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:11 pm

Tinker said what I wanted to say and in a much better way. Respect Sir!

Through my personal conversations with older generations, it seems football from 60s onwards has been led by money in the main anyway (assuming that is the main complaint of AMF). Chairman have always wanted to make big profits from the devotion of fans - that's a construct that ripples right the way through every aspect of our capitalist society; from music, to cinema to buying clothes.

We are consumers and, to a certain extent, we enjoy it. That's the way it works, if AMF don't like it how it applies to football then that seems hugely naive and as Tinker says they are harking back to a supposed golden era that, by all accounts, never really existed and never actually will.

So, in answer to your question, I think it is but mostly beause their actual concept and argument seems flawed at best.

Note: Autocorrect changed Tonker's name above, I liked it so kept it in! Sorry Tinker...
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Also, I did try to read Dudders article, got two thirds down and gave up. It smacks of someone locked into a mythical past and unable to grasp that football is entertainment and a business first and foremost.

As Red pointed out his ideals of all that is bad in "modern" football only apply to Cardiff City, and no other club. He lauded the Crystal Palace ultras for their "witty" put down of us selling out and rebranding - the ultimate hypocrisy from a team that used to play in white and know the pitfalls of administration. His behaviour is more that of a jilted lover than the creditable journalist he purports to be.

In some ways, it made me feel quite sorry for him in others embarrassed and irritated.

Last edited by Arkay v2.0 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Caldi Blue
Caldi Blue
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 3884
Posting Flair : 540

PostCaldi Blue Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:26 pm

I agree with what you lot have said. No point in re-wording it.

Can't stand that Dudders chap, not one bit. He's a self important arsehole, I wish he would just f**k off.
Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 22790
Posting Flair : 760

PostTans Tache Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:35 pm

Dudders will b bk when We get promoted, what point is he tryna prove? And to who? I'm sure vt gives a s**t About some prick Pissing off to support another club, who the f**k is he anyway?
Kamuza
Kamuza
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 4084
Posting Flair : 832

PostKamuza Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:37 pm

A few months ago I was helping my dad store some things inm his attic when we happened across his collection of Charles Buchan's Football Monthlys from the 50's and 60's. Needless to say, work stopped for half an hour while we browsed through a few copies. The letters pages were full of many of the same complaints we hear today: Refereeing standards, stewarding at grounds, club versus country and yes, the evils of modern football. Moaning about modern football is quite a traditional thing to do.
I work in IT project management, delivering new systems to large organisations and governement agencies and departments and I can assure you that what Tonker says is true: lots of people have real difficulty coping with change.
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:57 pm

Kamuza wrote:A few months ago I was helping my dad store some things inm his attic when we happened across his collection of Charles Buchan's Football Monthlys from the 50's and 60's. Needless to say, work stopped for half an hour while we browsed through a few copies. The letters pages were full of many of the same complaints we hear today: Refereeing standards, stewarding at grounds, club versus country and yes, the evils of modern football. Moaning about modern football is quite a traditional thing to do.
I work in IT project management, delivering new systems to large organisations and governement agencies and departments and I can assure you that what Tonker says is true: lots of people have real difficulty coping with change.
I remember getting Charles Buchan's Football Monthly on a regular basis (monthly, I expect) back in the 60s when I was first getting into football. They were really dense, lengthy, scholarly articles with comparatively few pictures compared with today's standards. Modern football magazines are just a tawdry sell-out compared with the golden age of traditional football magazines...... coat
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:57 am

The Tonker wrote:
Kamuza wrote:A few months ago I was helping my dad store some things inm his attic when we happened across his collection of Charles Buchan's Football Monthlys from the 50's and 60's. Needless to say, work stopped for half an hour while we browsed through a few copies. The letters pages were full of many of the same complaints we hear today: Refereeing standards, stewarding at grounds, club versus country and yes, the evils of modern football. Moaning about modern football is quite a traditional thing to do.
I remember getting Charles Buchan's Football Monthly on a regular basis (monthly, I expect) back in the 60s when I was first getting into football. They were really dense, lengthy, scholarly articles with comparatively few pictures compared with today's standards. Modern football magazines are just a tawdry sell-out compared with the golden age of traditional football magazines...... coat

Is it hipocritical being 'Against Modern Football' when you have never experienced traditional football? 692773407 Is it hipocritical being 'Against Modern Football' when you have never experienced traditional football? 692773407 Is it hipocritical being 'Against Modern Football' when you have never experienced traditional football? 692773407 Liking your style Tonks
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum