Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:20 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scott-johnson-would-switching-lesser-6236873?

Is this the craziest tactical suggestion that has been made by WO this year? Or is Scott onto something?

For me, sorry, on initial reading this just plain crazy. 

A team that has just been promoted to the premier league to play three defenders at the back is crazy. Besides we don't have the players for it, do we? 

BUT, a lot of the PL clubs these days play with one loan striker - surely three centre backs would be enough to deal with that? Of course, the whole of the midfield tends to get involved with the attacking part of the game these days so to pack out the midfield like we've done and play the first eight players behind the ball in not a bad idea either. 

Whilst having two upfront with five in support might give us a bit of a bite from open play. 

So basically, as I've written this, I've gone for circle. I think it may very well be worth go (depending on the oppositions tactical setup). 

Can I see Malky every being brave enough to swap tactics? No, I can't. Not only do we now have the right players for it, but I Malky is not much of a risk taker.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:48 am

Play three centrebacks when we only have three in the squad at the moment? So what exactly are we supposed to do if one gets injured?

Stupidest idea I've heard this season.
Alf Red
Alf Red
Squad Player
Squad Player
User Points : 286
Posting Flair : 10

PostAlf Red Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:39 am

Well we have four established centrebacks for a start ( I suspect Red has forgotten about Connolly, who I think would be well suited to a back 3). Theophile- Catherine can also play centreback and at a pinch we could also recall Nugent from loan or play Oshilaja who has been excellent for the under 21's. So I don't think lack of numbers would be an issue.

I think the idea is well worth considering. The main problem I think we will face this season will be scoring goals. None of our fit strikers is convincing in the lone striker role and that weakness is costing us dear- not just in goal scoring but in general build up play. 3-5-2 with, say Campbell and Odemwingie together up front could change that but I don't think the ultra conservative Malky will try it.
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:16 am

Absolutely not.
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:50 am

my horse, my horse! sorry goal :bounce: 
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:11 am

Alf Red wrote:Well we have four established  centrebacks for a start ( I suspect Red has  forgotten about Connolly, who I think would be well suited to a back 3). Theophile- Catherine can also play centreback and at a pinch we could also recall Nugent from loan or play Oshilaja who has been excellent for the under 21's. So I don't think lack of numbers would be an issue.

I think the  idea is well worth considering. The main problem I think we will face this season will be scoring goals. None of our fit strikers is convincing in the lone striker role and that weakness is costing us dear- not just in goal scoring but in general build up play. 3-5-2 with, say Campbell and Odemwingie  together up front could change that but I don't think the ultra conservative Malky will try it.
Absolutely spot on with everything you say........3-5-2 formation anyone?  1525230823 
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:10 am

well put together alf and quite convincing. if we come unstuck on saturday think we will have to try something

my regards to vladimir ilyich
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum