How much money would the club need to spend to make you nervous?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:59 pm

Is there a point in our recruiting of players where you would think the financial gamble is getting too much?

With the Cardozo rumour still rumbling there is an outside chance that 3 key signings could see our summer spending hit or approach £50m.

Would that spending be a sound investment or too much of a risk?
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:06 pm

heard a story somewhere that the spend was to be in that order and suggest it needs to be and done at the start of the season so that players have time to gel.

the spend needs to be on several good players and not on a couple of outstanding ones.

with what is already in the premier league it has to be £50m to be sure of a safe finish, but we have to keep a decent managerial team
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:47 pm

Yes it looks like £50 mill is going to be how we spend after all, but to be fair, TV income has massively increased and with the club almost debt free aside from that income, I'm sure £50 mill is not going to break the bank ( as scary as that sounds).

Now if we're to nearly spend 100 mill over the course of the season that would be another thing.
R-DONO
R-DONO
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 7195
Posting Flair : 490

PostR-DONO Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:53 pm

I think the big difference between us, and say QPR, is that were spending money on young, talented players, rather than older mercenaries out for their final large pay packet. The kind of players that, should the worst happen, we can probably loose from the wage bill fairly easily. A crippling wage bill in the championship is something that's been the major downfall of teams such as Birmingham and Portsmouth.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:48 am

£100 million and a pack of salted peanuts.

It would be the peanuts that would be the deal-breaker How much money would the club need to spend to make you nervous? 635981802
Redbird_in_spain
Academy Player
User Points : 143
Posting Flair : 40

PostRedbird_in_spain Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:02 am

I am more worried that the idiots who continue to insult our owner might eventually make home think "why should I bother". To his eternal credit he has massively put his money where his mouth is by investing so much.

These idiots need to grow up and appreciative just what he has done for us!
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:37 am

Although i have always believed that quoted £25m budget figure to be flexible i must admit i was a little surprised when it became obvious that figure would be blown out of the water if we got the players we were looking for.

The initial interest in Wanyama and Cardoza at the prices quoted after already signing Cornelius showed that we were never going to keep within a £25m budget while i never believed that the club was only looking for 3-4 additions either.

Doubling that figure may surprise me but given the rewards for staying up then i think it would be an investment/risk worth making.

The most pleasing thing so far seems to be the overwhelmingly positive reaction from football experts, journalists, blogs and simply football fans of other teams to the quality of the players we are bringing in (in particular with Caulker and Medel and to a lesser extent with Cornelius).

If we survive, which i am becoming increasingly confident we will, then the players we are bringing in will be the foundation to the following seasons squad and help us push on further. If we do fail to hold on to any of those players then it will only be because they leave for bigger and more established clubs at a profit which i think will then be reinvested.

I agree with Dave though that keeping a strong management team together for a few years at least is vital. If we do reasonably well this year and the new signings Malky brings in prove to be Premier successes then his stock in the management market will only rise.

I still feel we need 2-3 key signings but if Malky lands them then it could be a very postive season ahead How much money would the club need to spend to make you nervous? 1525230823
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum