Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:19 am

First topic message reminder :

This might not tickle everyone's fancy (although I know we've got some Eno fans out there) but after hearing Karl Hyde's new tune (see New Music Thread) it got me thinking about the more ambient music I enjoy. Here's one that I often drift off to sleep listening to...

Last edited by Arkay v2.0 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:11 am

I think the order of events was like this. I had signed up for Spotify years ago but on an old computer and with a password long forgotten. I joined Facebook then added Spotify again through that which then stopped working when i deleted my Facebook account.

I was pretty sure that i then tried downloading Spotify again but was unsuccessful and when i Googled the problem found lots of people saying they couldn't use Spotify as they didn't have Facebook/No longer had Facebook.

If you reckon you can have one without the other i will look into it again and try downloading Spotify once more tomorrow. Would be nice to get it back. Had done very little with playlists so don't really mind if i start from scratch again.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:50 am

Yup, deffo can. I cancelled my FB account last year and the only change I had to make was where the payment came from as I'd opened it through a mobile account and so it was tied into my phone contract. I now pay for it independently direct to Spotify and link it to my local files as well, so it uploads my mp3s t mobile too. I bloody loves technology I does.

Saying that, I don't know what the dealio is with free accounts these days.
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostToast Boy Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:00 am

I have just found a What Hi-Fi link from September 5th 2012 saying that Spotify had changed their terms and conditions to not need a Facebook account.

The change must have been with a few weeks of me deleting my account from what i can see. Not sure about starting again with a free account either but i might look into just paying for the premium service if it sounds worthwhile anyway.

If i get something sorted out i will check out that playlist. Will also have to have a listen to your last fm station some time soon and see what surprises come up. Thursday Night Ambient Music Thread - Page 3 1525230823
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:05 am

Err, yeah, if any Bon Jovi come up on there that must be a coding error on Last FM's part - not mine, understood? coat
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostToast Boy Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:15 am

Thursday Night Ambient Music Thread - Page 3 692773407

To be fair Arkay it can behave a little strangely at times. When i first started using Last FM it would keep throwing up this one live Richard Thompson track. It was OK but not great so i neither loved it or banned it. Every damn time i used it the same Richard Thomspon track would come on to the point where it had been played about 12 times compared to 3 with the next most popular track.

Like a self fulfilling prophecy it seemed the more it played the track the more it thought i liked it and just kept playing it again and again. I had to ban the track in the end even though i didn't initially mind it just to get rid of the damn thing.

I am sure that is exactly the reason Bon Jovi might appear on your station Wink
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:20 am

Yes, that's it, that's exactly right. It has nothing to do with a mild teenage obsession for soft rock - NOTHING.

Guns N Roses also glitch their way to the top sometimes too - pesky coding...
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:12 am

Just found this little beauty, felt it worth sharing Thursday Night Ambient Music Thread - Page 3 1525230823

Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostToast Boy Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:39 am

Cheers for bumping the thread Arkay. I have sorted out Spotify since i last posted on the thread. Free version so not sure of the restrictions yet but i might go the whole hog and pay for the premium version.

Anyway i have opened your playlist and am playing it now. Is there a way of saving it onto my Spotify playlists?
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:51 am

Yes, I believe you have to subscribe to it and then I think it saves in your playlist collection. Let me know if that doesn't work and I'll take another look at it. Thursday Night Ambient Music Thread - Page 3 1525230823
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostToast Boy Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:01 am

Arkay v2.0 wrote:Yes, I believe you have to subscribe to it and then I think it saves in your playlist collection. Let me know if that doesn't work and I'll take another look at it. Thursday Night Ambient Music Thread - Page 3 1525230823

That has indeed done the trick Arkay Thursday Night Ambient Music Thread - Page 3 1525230823. Will listen to the rest of the playlist then off to bed. Perfect winding down music.
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostToast Boy Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:44 am

I've revived this thread again Arkay to tell you and anyone else who might be interested about Locust Toybox. Ambient at times they have mostly a slightly more structured Drums and Bass sound. I think it might be a one man project anyhow as Locust Toybox is the musical outlet for animator David Firth who is the person who invented the Toast Boy character i use as my name and avatar. He is a big fan of Aphex Twin, Eno and Boards of Canada using their music in a lot of his animations.

As his music releases are so low key and independent you won't find anything on Spotify but YouTube has a good selection and, even better, if you like the music you can download all the albums free from the followng site.

http://www.fat-pie.com/locust/

Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:04 am

You have revived this thread Toastie because this thread is ruddy awesome Thursday Night Ambient Music Thread - Page 3 3640184800

I like what I hear and will check out the full linky over the weekend, when I get five minutes away from doing my good-son duties. It reminds me a little of Tomandandy's soundtrack for Mothman Prophecies, which is quite low-key but dark.

With regard to film soundtracks, here's a bit more from John Hopkins. He did the score to the low budget indie film Monsters (which is deffo worth a watch). This one is a bit more upbeat as it's the title theme. I'll add it to the playlist but I believe the whole album is on Spotify

Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:09 am

Ever heard of Burial?

He's normally an urban hip-hop type (and very good with it - his albums are real growers) who made his name by being quite underground and mysterious about his identity. He likes a lot of static and white noise on his tunes and he's remixed two Massive Attack songs in a similar - if somewhat more laid back - style. This was a very limited release and the vinyls for it went for ridiculous money. Thankfully, you can easily rip the MP3s off Youtube Thursday Night Ambient Music Thread - Page 3 692773407 Thursday Night Ambient Music Thread - Page 3 1525230823

Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostToast Boy Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:46 am

I liked that John Hopkins track Arkay. I'm not really familiar with him and the same goes for Burial who i had never heard of. I do find that static/white noise approach interesting though. It reminds me of The Third Eye Foundation. Their music is strange and spooky and a little unsettling but i love it when i am in the right mood.

Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:36 am

Toast Boy wrote:I liked that John Hopkins track Arkay. I'm not really familiar with him and the same goes for Burial who i had never heard of. I do find that static/white noise approach interesting though. It reminds me of The Third Eye Foundation. Their music is strange and spooky and a little unsettling but i love it when i am in the right mood.

Thursday Night Ambient Music Thread - Page 3 1525230823 Nice! Will listen to more of them.

Burial is an interesting one. Normally, his tunes are much more urban-hip-hop but he does have these occasional moments of ambience. When I first listened to his stuff, I hated it, but wanted to give it a good try. Each time I went back, I found a new track that had grown on me. Now, alongside French Teen Idol his stuff is the absolute staple of my nightbus journeys home from work through London at 3am in the morning. Combine that with the obligatory rain and some moody streetlighting and you have your very own atmospheric film soundtrack. afro

Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum