View previous topic View next topic Go down

•••••••™
•••••••™
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 6591
Posting Flair : 303

Post•••••••™ Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:33 am

Is anybody using this marvellous invention? Basically, it gives you free storage space up in the cloud that maps across all your registered devices such as computers, phones and tablets etc. For example, you can set it to auto-upload photos and video from your phone, and then they will be available to view seamlessly on your pc/laptop/tablet, or any other computer through a web browser interface. You also have a public directory to use if you want to share some files with the world at large, and you can also set up private directories between two or more users. (See The Tour)

This got me thinking if we could't setup a shared folder for the esteemed members of Redbluebirds.com The Amazing Free Dropbox Cloud Service 4228682415

If anybody wants to try it out, use my referral link and get an extra .5GB of storage space .. Click Here For A Free Signup
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:46 am

Yup! I use this everyday. I often have to transfer files between home, office, mobile and tablet and it's much more convenient and secure than a USB key.

I also use it to upload and share files with clients and friends. Managed to get my free storage up to over 7gb now. Really is the dog's knackers.

What kinds of things could us RBMBers share then? Will it be a Readers' Wives types thing? The Amazing Free Dropbox Cloud Service 4228682415
bluebirds1927
bluebirds1927
Squad Player
Squad Player
User Points : 383
Posting Flair : 90

Postbluebirds1927 Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:47 am

In other breaking news, John Logie Baird invents the moving picture box The Amazing Free Dropbox Cloud Service 692773407
JB
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 8171
Posting Flair : 320

PostJB Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:48 am

Nope. I have a 1TB server I can connect to from any computer in the world. No point in using such a thing.

Also, Google Drive is better than Dropbox.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:54 am

Militant Black Guy wrote:Nope. I have a 1TB server I can connect to from any computer in the world. No point in using such a thing.

#

Do tell. I've wanted to set up a server like this for when I'm out on a shoot or abroad but know nothing about how to do it. Is it hard/expensive?

Also, what's the benefit of Google Drive over Dropbox?

Bet you wish you hadn't said anything now as if I had a spotlight, I'd shine it directly at you right...now

The Amazing Free Dropbox Cloud Service 4228682415
•••••••™
•••••••™
Club Legend
Club Legend

Post•••••••™ Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:06 am

Arkay v2.0 wrote:
Militant Black Guy wrote:Nope. I have a 1TB server I can connect to from any computer in the world. No point in using such a thing.

#

Do tell. I've wanted to set up a server like this for when I'm out on a shoot or abroad but know nothing about how to do it. Is it hard/expensive?

Also, what's the benefit of Google Drive over Dropbox?

Bet you wish you hadn't said anything now as if I had a spotlight, I'd shine it directly at you right...now

The Amazing Free Dropbox Cloud Service 4228682415

Yeah spill the beans, I'm also interested The Amazing Free Dropbox Cloud Service 692773407

I still highly recommend getting Dropbox though for it's ease of use, low maintenance and versatility with group collaboration etc, and as an extra copy of your data up in the cloud (home servers are still susceptible to crash and burn and need an off-site backup plan).
Officer Crabtree
Officer Crabtree
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 1306
Posting Flair : 124

PostOfficer Crabtree Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:07 am

Dropbox is better than Google drive, though if you decide you need to buy extra storage then Google is considerably cheaper than dropbox.

I use both but I pay for 30gb of Google space.
•••••••™
•••••••™
Club Legend
Club Legend

Post•••••••™ Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:17 am

Officer Crabtree wrote:Dropbox is better than Google drive, though if you decide you need to buy extra storage then Google is considerably cheaper than dropbox.

I use both but I pay for 30gb of Google space.

I prefer the Dropbox terms and conditions regarding privacy - basically you are responsible for what you upload and it's none of their business. I would imagine Google will be rifling through all your stuff in their quest to target advertising at you through their various online services.
•••••••™
•••••••™
Club Legend
Club Legend

Post•••••••™ Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:22 am

Arkay v2.0 wrote:What kinds of things could us RBMBers share then? Will it be a Readers' Wives types thing? The Amazing Free Dropbox Cloud Service 4228682415

I'm not sure *cough, cough* whatever it is, it would have to be collaborative The Amazing Free Dropbox Cloud Service 692773407
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:35 am

•••••••™️ wrote:
Arkay v2.0 wrote:What kinds of things could us RBMBers share then? Will it be a Readers' Wives types thing? The Amazing Free Dropbox Cloud Service 4228682415

I'm not sure *cough, cough* whatever it is, it would have to be collaborative The Amazing Free Dropbox Cloud Service 692773407

And, errr, "legal"? Ahem.

coat
•••••••™
•••••••™
Club Legend
Club Legend

Post•••••••™ Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:43 am

Arkay v2.0 wrote:
•••••••™️ wrote:

And, errr, "legal"? Ahem.

coat

Cardiff City related photos and videos The Amazing Free Dropbox Cloud Service 1525230823
Judge dRed
Judge dRed
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 2500
Posting Flair : 186

PostJudge dRed Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:05 pm

Are any of these services available in the depths of Africa. Am planning a safari camping expedition and will probably take about 5Tb of pics. It would be nice to have these sent to the cloud which at the same time could give me some shade maybe?
Officer Crabtree
Officer Crabtree
Team Captain
Team Captain

PostOfficer Crabtree Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:25 pm

Judge dRed wrote:Are any of these services available in the depths of Africa. Am planning a safari camping expedition and will probably take about 5Tb of pics. It would be nice to have these sent to the cloud which at the same time could give me some shade maybe?

Five TERRABYTE?! Assuming you mean gigabyte then they shoudl all be available whever you have a network connection. No idea how fast a net connection would be out on safari though...
Judge dRed
Judge dRed
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 2500
Posting Flair : 186

PostJudge dRed Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:41 pm

Officer Crabtree wrote:
Judge dRed wrote:Are any of these services available in the depths of Africa. Am planning a safari camping expedition and will probably take about 5Tb of pics. It would be nice to have these sent to the cloud which at the same time could give me some shade maybe?

Five TERRABYTE?! Assuming you mean gigabyte then they shoudl all be available whever you have a network connection. No idea how fast a net connection would be out on safari though...

I am well aware of the difference between 5TB and 5Gb. I would expect to take 50Gb/day but yes 5Tb is too much, 500Gb is more like it. A 1Tb external drive would be the answer but there's only enough power to recharge batteries available. I suppose I'd better start building up my stock of SD cards. just as well prices have come down.

Officer Crabtree
Officer Crabtree
Team Captain
Team Captain

PostOfficer Crabtree Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:45 pm

Judge dRed wrote:
Officer Crabtree wrote:

I am well aware of the difference between 5TB and 5Gb. I would expect to take 50Gb/day but yes 5Tb is too much, 500Gb is more like it. A 1Tb external drive would be the answer but there's only enough power to recharge batteries available. I suppose I'd better start building up my stock of SD cards. just as well prices have come down.

That's a lot of photos. I've had a digital camera for about 10 years now and I uploaded all my pictures to Google Drive a few weeks back, 18gb.

Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum