Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:18 am

Did anyone else watch it tonight? I know we are not scottish, but it will impact us all non the less.

They both gave it a good go but by the end I thought Salmond came out on top.

For me, this whole debate has very close connotations with the whole EU issue that seems to be gaining prominence at the the moment. A lot of what Alex Salmond said tonight, I could easily imagine the clown Nigel Farage saying about England.

On saying that, if I were Scottish, I would probably vote for independence.

Last edited by Rhys on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:42 am

I don't know why the Tories are saying they should stay in the Union. If Scotland say yes, there may never be another Labour Govt in England & Wales because of the loss of the large number of Scottish Labour MP's.
Personally, I think if Scotland vote for independence they'll have to change the name of the country to Skintland.
glasgowronnie
glasgowronnie
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 3965
Posting Flair : 220

Postglasgowronnie Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:20 am

Rhys wrote:
Did anyone else watch it tonight? I know we are not scottish, but it will impact us all non the less.

They gave it a few go - but by the end, I thought Salmond came out on top.

For me, this whole debate has very close connotations with the whole EU issue that seems to be gaining prominence at the the moment. A lot of what Alex Salmond said tonight, I could easily imagine the clown Nigel Farage saying about England.

On saying that, if I were Scottish, I would probably vote for independence.

I watched it too Rhys, I just thought Salmond shouted the loudest! I'll be glad when its over talk of Yes voters threatening No voters its all getting a bit much
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:19 am

I watched and have to reluctantly say that Alex Salmond came over best.  By virtue of our UK address, Mrs TDA & I are entitled to vote in the referendum and have arranged postal votes to ensure that our very firm "No" is recorded.

There are lots of reasons why Scotland is not ready to go it alone, but I feel the effect on the remainder of the UK has been understated so far.

Cyncoed has mentioned the Labour MPs, but we have to bear in mind, that in the event of a Yes vote in Scotland, nothing will actually devolve for at least 18 months.......Spring 2016 at the earliest.

We have a UK General Election due in 2015 and come what may, Scotland will have to return 59 MPs to Westminster, of which more than 50 will be Labour.  Now, if Labour was to win the 2015 election, which is possible, then loses 50 MPs once Scotland's independance actually happens, there will almost certainly be a minority government at Westminster, a mere 8 months after a general election................a political catastrophe in the making.

On top of that, there is the unrealistic timetable to get Trident out of Scotland and re-sited in England or maybe Wales (Milford Haven).  Who is going to foot the bill for that..............Scotland?.......I don't think so.

Fortunately, despite the raucous pro-voters at the debate last night, the more far-sighted Scots are likely to vote  "No".  They will get more power in Scotland anyway, by way of compensation and it is likely that Wales will also benefit with more autonomy in the long run.
glasgowronnie
glasgowronnie
Captain of Country
Captain of Country

Postglasgowronnie Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:05 pm

Just received my postal vote, completed it and signed it and decided to look at the instructions. I am so glad that one of the instructions was once completed the form, place in envelope seal it and place in postbox. I am so glad I was told to place on postbox otherwise I would of left it on the table
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:24 pm

glasgowronnie wrote:Just received my postal vote, completed it and signed it and decided to look at the instructions. I am so glad that one of the instructions was once completed the form, place in envelope seal it and place in postbox. I am so glad I was told to place on postbox otherwise I would of left it on the table

Scottish Independence debate 2854552383
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:39 am

Scottish Independence debate 34343388

Yes campaign leads in opinion polls for the first time, on the back of Alex Salmond getting the better of Alistair Darling in the televised debates. This is seriously worrying for the UK!

Let's hope that Scotland don't beat Germany tonight, or they will be demanding the borders be adjusted to include Berwick-on-Tweed and Carlisle in Scotland.

I never normally wish for a German victory, but please.....just this once......10 - 0...... Twisted Evil
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:59 am

Just tell them that we'll be taking the pound back if they go independent. Let's just see how well a country that suddenly becomes one of the smallest in the developer world gets on developing it's win financial infrastructure without English banks propping it up.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:40 am

That is the big uncertainty and ought to swing it for the Better Together campaign, but you never know.......
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostRhys Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:56 am

As Salmond pointed out though, we can't actually stop Scotland, or any other country for that matter, using the pound if they so wish, they just wouldn't have any control over it - no central bank etc.

More realistically though, if the Scots vote yes, Mr Salmond will have a scottish mandate will effectively have the UK bent over the barrel with the threat of not taking on any of the UK debt without a currency agreement. With our GDP reducing dramatically post Scotland's independence day, I fear Mr Salmond is right - we, the UK, clearly wouldn't take the full burden of the shared debt in light of our new, smaller, economy, so we would have to agree to a currency union.

I personally find it abhorrent that Mr Salmond is behaving in that way tbh. Basically saying, if we cannot have a currency agreement, we will not take on any proportion of the debt - which, may I point out, is a SHARED debt, which Scotland have contributed to building.

If Scotland think that they can just walk away with an empty bank account and fresh slate, courtesy of the rest of the UK, they better think again!
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:29 am

That will turn out worse for them in the long run. Scotland, just like the rest of the individuals in the UK, are punching well above their weight. There is no way a country of it's size should be competing in Europe with the likes of France and Germany, but we are due to our combined wealth and power. If they cut that off then to sustain any sort of power of financial stability (cough), they will have to rely heavily on trading of energy and other resources with their neighbours - the UK primarily. If they try and escape the debt situation without paying their share, guess how we'll return the favour? By guaranteeing they get the living s**t taxed out of them whenever they want to utilise our resources. They may well win in the short term, but we could have them over the barrel for decades.

This is one of the many reasons why I should never be allowed to be prime minister - I hold grudges and I would be a massive d**khead in response Scottish Independence debate 692773407
glasgowronnie
glasgowronnie
Captain of Country
Captain of Country

Postglasgowronnie Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:30 am

Really think the polls was always a lot closer than it actually ever was, maybe even to give the yes a final nudge during the last few days. A lot of yes voters I'm hearing from smell victory Scottish Independence debate 4228682415
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostRhys Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:26 pm

Perhaps the yes campaign have peaked just a few weeks early - just like clegg did with the last general election. TV debates can do funny things to polls it appears!
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:10 pm

The rest of the UK couldn't be held to ransom over a monetary union, even though such an arrangement would be the best way forward for Scotland and us. The last thing the smaller UK would need is a financial basket case for a neighbour.

I feel the Bank of England, which has had to stay neutral before the referendum, may well have something major to say about the terms of an agreement.

If it really wants the monetary union that badly, then Scotland could also find itself under political pressure on issues such as the relocation of Trident and defence.
glasgowronnie
glasgowronnie
Captain of Country
Captain of Country

Postglasgowronnie Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Got a feeling the Naw campaign have something up their sleeve for the final days, seem awfully quiet for my liking Scottish Independence debate 4228682415
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum