View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 22790
Posting Flair : 760

PostTans Tache Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:16 pm

I can see swansea beating us next week, we failed to create chances, Maybe time for Campbell to be partnered with someone as lone striker role isnt working, Playing hoofball all game isnt working
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Well the good news is that we are pretty strong defensively but clearly lacking in attack. 

I don't know about you guys but I would much rather be strong defensively than offensively.  Much more sensible for our first season in the PL, we can always work on scoring more in subsequent seasons.

Malky has prioritised correctly for me.
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:28 pm

Rhys wrote:Well the good news is that we are pretty strong defensively but clearly lacking in attack. 

I don't know about you guys but I would much rather be strong defensively than offensively.  Much more sensible for our first season in the PL, we can always work on scoring more in subsequent seasons.

Malky has prioritised correctly for me.
^^
SteWells
SteWells
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 1655
Posting Flair : 100

PostSteWells Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:53 pm

I'm glad our defence is strong, but we should be better going forward. I don't think that we lack the players, I just thing they're not working well enough.
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:38 am

hoof and hope to a lone striker is not working.

1. can we afford two strikers and further reduce an over-worked mid-field?

a midfield that does not appear to hold its own territory let alone advance

2. pack the midfield with six and do not play a striker?

well spain in recent years have played without a striker and it has hardly checked their progress. the advantage of that system is that goal scoring mid-fielders come into their own. the downside is that you have to have a quality mid-field to get away with it. could an additional mid-fielder reduce the work load?
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:05 am

davewebber65 wrote:hoof and hope to a lone striker is not working.

1. can we afford  two strikers and further reduce an over-worked mid-field?

a midfield that does not appear to hold its own territory let alone advance

2. pack the midfield with six and do not play a striker?

well spain in recent years have played without a striker and it has hardly checked their progress. the advantage of that system is that goal scoring mid-fielders come into their own. the downside is that you have to have a quality mid-field to get away with it. could an additional mid-fielder reduce the work load?
It's an interesting thought and one I'd certainly not dispel - especially when our two strikers have had about four shots on target all season between them!
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:41 am

I think Cornelius may have been earmarked pre season as the lone striker but even if he restarts training it's going to take a few weeks to get him up to speed - assuming he's up to the task which none of us know!
Is it time to give Maynard or even Joe Mason an outing? Would they be any more ineffective than the current striker(s)?
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:03 am

I think Maynard is a bit unlucky to have not had more game time this season.
glasgowronnie
glasgowronnie
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 3965
Posting Flair : 220

Postglasgowronnie Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:14 am

Think I would like Mason get a run
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:16 am

I don't think Maynard is PL quality. Couldn't cut it at WHU and no other clubs came in for him, and only City at the last moment. Championship standard at best.

Okay, the Cornelius injury might be seen as unfortunate, but it has really left us thin on striking options......
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:52 am

The lone striker isn't working as the midfield can't get forward to support.

Back to the drawing board in a big way, I feel.

Mason is a good shout, but really needs someone alongside......Cornelius maybe....
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:34 am

I think lone striker is still the best possibility, because if you ignore the lack of posession and attack, it's made us a highly successful defensive unit. That, as boring as it sounds, is the key to survival this season. If we add more teeth in attack, we'll be laughing. Going to 2 up front takes a man out of defence , and that could be fatal.

What does need to change is how it is arranged. I don't think Mutch and Kim should play side by side in centre midfield is what I took from yesterday. They both fight for the same spot and they get in each other's way. I'd rather see them rotated and if the future is Gunnarrson losing out then Whitts should take the centre role. That allows left wing to be taken by a true winger - Noone. We would then have to add a new right winger in the summer but in the meantime I'd use Campbell with Odemwingie up front/Cornelius. With that set up we have more pace which will transform into more support for our striker, without sacrificing our defence.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:09 pm

The reality is this current formation has never worked for us under malky - he swapped to the current formation with about eight games of last season left to go I believe (maybe ten, can't quite remember). I just had a look back at the form table and of the last eight we won twice and drew six.

If you take that form into this season, over the last 17 games we have drawn nine times and lost and won four times.

Not exactly inspiring - we played much, much better in a 4-4-2 formation. If it's still good enough for old Roy and the English national team, it's still good enough for us!
pugger
pugger
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
User Points : 410
Posting Flair : 60

Postpugger Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:22 pm

It would be a bonus if Cornelius was fit as I think we all know he is our target man upfront for the formation mentioned earlier.
Hope he comes back fit soon with his shooting boots on and saves our season as it is going to be a long one and I think we need a bit more belief and confidence in front of goal when we do get a chance.
Negative I know but shutting the Swans out for a draw is our best option, we are playing it tight to give us the best chance of staying up.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:43 pm

Problem is with our form in the last games of the season last year is that we're famous for being a team that chokes in the final sprint. It therefore makes it highly difficult to distinguish between whether it was the formation's fault or the player's confidence.

I, personally, think it was the latter.

Assuming we did move to 4-4-2, what would you guys recommend lineup wise? Even though I'm against it, my thoughts would be Mutch and Medel centre midfield, Whitts on the left wing and Kim moving out to the right. Odemwingie and Campbell/ Maynard up front.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum