View previous topic View next topic Go down

Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:23 am

There have been a number of threads dealing with which players might be moving on, who should perhaps earn a new contract or be retained and which areas need strengthening. In a situation where there was no limit on squad size or money available then giving fringe players a chance to prove themselves at Premier level might be ok but that is not the situation.

So regardless of whether a player actually leaves the club or just misses the cut and ends up out on loan or stuck in the reserves how should those gaps in the squad be made available for new signings?

I expect most or all of you are familiar with the 25 man squad rule but here is a quck recap. Only 25 nominated players and an unlimited number of under 21 players can take part in league games. An under 21 player for the coming season will be regarded as anyone born on or later than Jan 1st 1992. There is a ruling on 'home grown' players too which should not affect us next season even though Scottish players are not regarded as home grown (unless they have come through at an English or Welsh club from a young age).

The club have finished the season with 26 players who would count as over 21 and 3 who have had decent league experience that would count as under 21 (Harris, Ralls and Nugent). If spaces in the squad are to be opened up who looks likely to miss out? According to a Wikipedia page on Cardiff City McPhail, McNaughton and Helguson's contracts all expire this summer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_Cardiff_City_F.C._season#Contracts

The next most vulnerable players would seem to be Lappin, Smith, Conway, Cowie, Gestede and maybe Parish whose contracts run out next summer. Hudson's and Bellamy's do too but i see them as being definites for the squad next season anyway.

The remaining players all have contracts running out in 2015 or 2016 and seem by and large safe for next season at my guess. The biggest doubts among these players are obviously Kiss and Velikonja because of the way the have been all but absent from the current first team squad all season. I still believe that Velcro will be pushed forward next season and hopefully be an assett in the Premier. Has Kiss gone backwards and out of Malky's plans or just being prepared for Premier football to which he might be more suited? I honestly can't make my mind up on that one but hope he stays and begins to fulfill the potential Malky obviously saw in him by giving him a contract until 2016.

I guess some of those who might miss out (Lappin, McNaughton) will really indicated the areas we will need strengthening in. Two full backs, two central defenders and a free scoring striker would seem to the minimum requirements next season but cases could be made for an experienced central midfielder and one or more wide players too.

I am looking forward to after match celebrations following the Bolton game and the planned open top bus tour and gathering down the Bay. As much as i will be celebrating i will be inwardly thanking those players who have given a lot to the cause this season and previously to get us where we are now but will, inevitably miss out next season.

Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:47 am

Nice piece Toastie.... I agree with your observations but have heard on the street that Velcro had become Teflon and wont stick around next year....

I think the most poignant image of our season will be SuperKev shoulder high living his dream moment.... the moment he achieved everything he'd strived for in a City shirt... but also the moment when his City dream ended.... Sad
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:06 am

Valley Trash wrote:Nice piece Toastie.... I agree with your observations but have heard on the street that Velcro had become Teflon and wont stick around next year....

I think the most poignant image of our season will be SuperKev shoulder high living his dream moment.... the moment he achieved everything he'd strived for in a City shirt... but also the moment when his City dream ended.... Sad

Yes it must be bittersweet for Kev but hopefully mostly sweet. Players know this kind of thing happens all the time and maybe even if he knew that the Prem was likely to be beyond him that the joy of a title winning season was realistic and has now been achieved. I can only add this for him Expiring contracts and the 25 man squad rule 1499845164 Expiring contracts and the 25 man squad rule 1499845164 Expiring contracts and the 25 man squad rule 1499845164

If you are right about Velcro then i think we will definitely need 2 new strikers in to strengthen the squad.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:22 am

This make Arkay sad.

Expiring contracts and the 25 man squad rule 2925389657
Caer y Glyn
Caer y Glyn
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1927
Posting Flair : 70

PostCaer y Glyn Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:26 am

I think we will need to free between 5 and 10 spaces in our 25 man squad and the maths alone suggests that the Toast man's speculation as to departeees may not be far from the truth. Ruthless Malky?
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:28 am

Arkay Dubya wrote:This make Arkay sad.

Expiring contracts and the 25 man squad rule 2925389657

There, there mate... On the plus side our wives will no longer be currency used to appease the great silver haired deity SuperKev
Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 22790
Posting Flair : 760

PostTans Tache Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:05 am

Expiring contracts and the 25 man squad rule 692773407 so whos going to shag our wives.when.super kev fucks off??
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:57 pm

There are some players that we could shed and I would not miss too much:

Mcphail
Velcro
Kiss
Cowie
Lappin
T Smith
Helguson
Nat Jarvis (over 21)
Dare I say it, Conway.

A list I would be sad to see go, and would love to stay, but not devastated:

Bellamy (purely thinking of wages) In the twilight of his career and possibly just costing a little too much to be just a squad player
McNaughton :-(

Sent out on loan for the season to the championship:

Ben Nugent
Joe Mason
Rudy Gestede
Joe Ralls

So that makes 15 spaces in the squad. I don't think Malky will replace 15 players however so I think we will all be pleasantly surprised about who stays.

Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum