View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Sun May 04, 2014 7:51 pm

First things first, this isn't a 'I'm actually glad we are relegated' post, what has happened is still the very worst case scenario. Regardless, I don't think anyone would deny that fundamentally, the squad wasn't ready for the premiership. Many more would argue we should never have been promoted in the first place. They are probably right.

The squad will probably be very different come the starting next season, and not nessecerily better either. The team may not get immediate success and may need significant time to truly gel and start delivering results. But that's okay, as in the championship the spotlight is well and truly off. How many of you have heard about Resings struggles in the championship? How about QPR, who many reckoned would walk the league by a landslide? In contrast, how many have heard about Manchester Unites failures? About Southamptons impressive playstyle? Hell, we know more about La Liga and Ligue 1 teams than we know about the championship without personal study.

It was a brilliant experience seeing the team we've supported for so long take on the best in the world, but it was also draining. Every single bad result is glorified in the media, with a heavy loss being talked about for weeks and weeks. You lose 4-0 in the championship and everyone sleeps soundly in their beds the night after (except Cardiff fans).

The spotlight is well and truly off in the championship, and it would be nice to once more be able to just enjoy seeing what the team is able to do instead of having it stuck in the back of your head that a failure will haunt us for weeks.
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Sun May 04, 2014 7:59 pm

I agree, particularly with the fact that it's been draining. I've come home from some matches feeling shattered after 90 minutes of attrition and the enjoyable afternoon's football I had last week reminded me of what it should be like.
Bring on the Championship, preferably in blue shirts.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Sun May 04, 2014 8:11 pm

Another positive for me is that, if there is going to be a re-building of the squad, then at least we know which players can or cannot cut it in the PL and we should be better prepared next time around.
SteWells
SteWells
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 1655
Posting Flair : 100

PostSteWells Sun May 04, 2014 8:45 pm

Do you think Tan will give Ole the time you suggest he'll need?

I think Tan will set a target of winning the Championship, and if we're not top at Christmas, Ole will be gone.

Also, playing in blue will only happen at away games. At home, we play in red. I don't think Tan could be any clearer on the subject.
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend

PostCyncoedslumdog Sun May 04, 2014 9:07 pm

I'm sure you're right about the red. It's not something that ever particularly bothered me but as the season has gone on and the bad feeling has built up I've felt the change back to blue would pour oil on so many troubled waters.
Unfortunately, Vinnie is too stubborn to see sense and do it.
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Mon May 05, 2014 1:02 am

I think it was just nice to have a break for the Championship. Was getting a bit repetitive playing pretty much the same sides every season, and missing out at the last step time after time.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Mon May 05, 2014 1:57 am

SteWells wrote:Do you think Tan will give Ole the time you suggest he'll need?

I think Tan will set a target of winning the Championship, and if we're not top at Christmas, Ole will be gone.

Also, playing in blue will only happen at away games. At home, we play in red. I don't think Tan could be any clearer on the subject.

I was careful not to mention Ole as I'm not sure he will last this season, let alone next. I hope he stays as he deserves a proper chance at redemption, laying down the foundations of a squad that will see the Premiership again soon. But I worry me and Tan differ there - I personally would be satisfied with good football and a challenge for the playoffs successful or otherwise. I think you are right that Tan would want us to be immediate champions, if he hasn't already made his mind up.
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend

PostCyncoedslumdog Mon May 05, 2014 3:01 am

One thing I'll definitely be glad to get away from is Premiership refereeing. I've just watched a stonewall penalty claim byNorwich ignored as have many similar incidents we have been involved in.
They're a bunch of incompetents who often seem afraid of making game changing decisions - particularly if they're against the 'bigger' clubs.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum