View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:10 pm

On the evidence of last night, we appear to have a lot of possibility for change within our starting eleven. Why our current set up is sound defensively, our reserve 11 last night showed some subtle changes could bring quite a lot of attacking threat. At Fulham away I reckon we should be going for it - Leaving with zero points isn't the end of the world but 3 could definetely brighten our season up.

In Malky's shoes, this is what I would do -

- Swap Bellamy for Noone. Noone is more dangerous in attack, and he showed his defensive work could aid Taylor significantly

-Swap Gunnarrson for Mutch. I'm a fan of Gunnarrson, I've defended him this weekend. This swap isn't a critiscism, it's just a straight swap of a defensive player for a more offensive player. This would pivot our midfield three from two defensive and one offensive, to one defensive and two offensive.

- Odemwingie to start, with Campbell settling on the right wing. Odemwingie looked more confident holding the ball up front than campbell, who is very much a 'burst of energy' player. Plus Odemwingie and Noone are more up to par with Campbell's speed. A big problem with our attack is Campbell racing away, but Bellamy and Whittingham having to pull up short gasping for breath. Odemwingie, Campbell and Noone would hopefully fix this.

So in summary, my formation would now be this -

Marshall
Theophile, Caulker, Turner, Taylor
Medel
Whittingham, Mutch
Campbell. Noone
Odemwingie

Controversial decision dropping Kim, I know in advance. I'd want Whitts and Kim occupying the same role, and I think Whitts suits the wing focused play more and also Kim could be devestating played as a 60 minute impact sub, his trickery could play havoc with tired legs.

Agree/ disagree? Any other ideas?

davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:30 pm

i would agree with some of your selections, but for different reasons. am not really a fan of gunnarsson, who i rate as little more than a town bully. so it would be a straight swap, skill for thugery.

would have odemwinge for bellers

Last edited by davewebber65 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:48 pm

Red614 wrote:On the evidence of last night, we appear to have a lot of possibility for change within our starting eleven. Why our current set up is sound defensively, our reserve 11 last night showed some subtle changes could bring quite a lot of attacking threat. At Fulham away I reckon we should be going for it - Leaving with zero points isn't the end of the world but 3 could definetely brighten our season up.

In Malky's shoes, this is what I would do -

- Swap Bellamy for Noone. Noone is more dangerous in attack, and he showed his defensive work could aid Taylor significantly

-Swap Gunnarrson for Mutch. I'm a fan of Gunnarrson, I've defended him this weekend. This swap isn't a critiscism, it's just a straight swap of a defensive player for a more offensive player. This would pivot our midfield three from two defensive and one offensive, to one defensive and two offensive.

- Odemwingie to start, with Campbell settling on the right wing. Odemwingie looked more confident holding the ball up front than campbell, who is very much a 'burst of energy' player. Plus Odemwingie and Noone are more up to par with Campbell's speed. A big problem with our attack is Campbell racing away, but Bellamy and Whittingham having to pull up short gasping for breath. Odemwingie, Campbell and Noone would hopefully fix this.

So in summary, my formation would now be this -

Marshall
Theophile, Caulker, Turner, Taylor
                    Medel
          Whittingham, Mutch
Campbell.                         Noone
                  Odemwingie

Controversial decision dropping Kim, I know in advance. I'd want Whitts and Kim occupying the same role, and I think Whitts suits the wing focused play more and also Kim could be devestating played as a 60 minute impact sub, his trickery could play havoc with tired legs.

Agree/ disagree? Any other ideas?

Agree with most of that with modifications!
I think Odemwingie should be wider and Campbell more central so swap those two positionally. Definitely agree with Mutch for Gunnar - after an early season adrenalin burst, he gave the ball away a lot last Saturday and missed two good chances. I'm not happy with Taylor but don't think there is an alternative other than Super Kev.
i can't agree with Whitts in ahead of Kim. I thought Kim was excellent Saturday whereas Whitts seems inclined to go to sleep on occasions. Sad that many of us are now talking about leaving Bellamy out.
If only Conway was still here to give us hard work and dynamic, goal scoring wing play Revised XI v Fulham? 1525230823 
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:09 pm

I thought 4-4-2 but that would mean another casualty in centre midfield. Campbell would go forward so we'd need a new right winger - probably Cowie. That then means one of Medel, Mutch or Whitts also has to be dropped, and I didnt have the heart for that.

I didn't want to drop Kim, it wasnt a malicious decision. Basically it boiled down to two decisions -

-Whitts and Kim battle for the same spot in that side. Whitts has contributed to the last four goals scored in our premier league campaign, scoring one and assisting three. Kim has yet to earn a scoresheet place.

- Kims play is very much to go through a defender rather than avoid them. The formation I suggested is much more attack orientated. The problem with Kim in this sort of formation is if he tries to go through a player and fails, there's potentially a big hole behind him to be exploited. Whitts on the other hand holds posession better, with much less risk. I want the midfielders retaining the ball and distributing it to the wings, not risking losing it with over zealous play. When we're back to defending 90% of a game against a big team, Kik is straight back in as his risky play can trigger counter attacks.

As I said though, they would both see game time every match. Whitts would start and Kim would play most of the second half.
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 5923
Posting Flair : 460

PostG-ster Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:59 pm

A bit more pace in the team would be useful 'on the break' away from home, so Red's team fits the bill. Although it's a dfficult choice between Whittingham/Kim.

You can bet your house that Malky will adopt a more cautious/conservative approach however.

Fulham are a decent side so a point would be a good outcome.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:31 pm

For me - Kim is the star of our squad and thus the team should be built around him. 

Kim is the last person I would drop. 

Based on current form, I would make two changes. 

I can't believe I about to say this but...Cowie for Bellamy

Mutch for Gunnar. 

Don't need to mess around to much more otherwise you risk losing your steely foundation.
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend

PostCyncoedslumdog Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:44 pm

Rhys wrote:For me - Kim is the star of our squad and thus the team should be built around him. 

Kim is the last person I would drop. 

Based on current form, I would make two changes. 

I can't believe I about to say this but...Cowie for Bellamy

Mutch for Gunnar. 

Don't need to mess around to much more otherwise you risk losing your steely foundation.
Has to be Odemwingie over Cowie Revised XI v Fulham? 635981802 
DrewBlue
DrewBlue
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
User Points : 912
Posting Flair : 70

PostDrewBlue Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:23 am

I think we're doing ok, we are still getting used to the league and the formation and line up will have a very small bearing on that I think. I would be concerned to drop Gunnar as we have defended so well, with our 2 banks of 4 being almost impenetrable, that I would be afraid to lose that.
Dropping Bellars for Noone sounds like a good idea, fresh legs on the wing would be a great help going forward with Kim and Campbell benefitting. Do remember Odemwingie still isn't match fit yet, he would probably be far better suited for the impact sub role at the moment
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:58 am

One change for me: Odemwingie in for Bellamy.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:34 pm

Hate to say I told you so...
- Odemwingie on for Bellamy
- Mutch made a big case for why he should of started
- Whitts proved vital oncemore, unlucky to not pocket three assists

Kim had a good game, but Whitts influence was what made us so confident. Honestly , on current form, I know which one I'd keep .
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:58 am

Red614 wrote:Hate to say I told you so...
- Odemwingie on for Bellamy
- Mutch made a big case for why he should of started
- Whitts proved vital oncemore, unlucky to not pocket three assists

Kim had a good game, but Whitts influence was what made us so confident. Honestly , on current form, I know which one I'd keep .
Hmm your formation did seem to suggest Odemwingie up front and a start for Noone but we will gloss over that Revised XI v Fulham? 692773407 .

Definitely right about a number of points though. Bellamy needed to be dropped and Odemwingie given a start and Mutch added to his decent midweek performance by proving he should have more game time at Prem level too.

With an 'on paper' easier home game coming up against Newcastle the only starting change i would make to the line up now would be Mutch in for Gunnarson. See how that works out defensively too then make a decision on whether the formation and line up will work for Chelsea away after the international break.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:29 am

Well obviously if Malky actually listened to me 100% we would be currently revelling over a 9-0 win with Odemwingie, Mutch and Noone hat tricks. (9 Whittingham assists), but I'm willing to forgive him since he took a few of my points on board. Revised XI v Fulham? 692773407

Seriously though, our midfield is a real head scratcher. I want to see Noone, Mutch and Odemwingie play regularly, but to drop anyone from the starting eleven would be incredibly cruel. As I said, I'd want Noone and Campbell on the wings, but that means that Kim, Whitts and Mutch are all battling for the same position right behind our striker. Dropping Gunnarrson allows another spot, but that would be cruel considering the muscle he's added to our defence everytime he plays.

Me personally, at home I would play Gunnarrson in defensive midfield and let Whittingham have the attacking midfield place. Away from home, I'd drop Gunnarrson and play Mutch and Whitts in midfield.

Again I'm ignoring Kim, and that will annoy someone. My personal opinion is we get a little too distracted by now nimble footwork and don't realise that in terms of game changing manoeuvres, he's probably added the least out of those three. Whitts provides goals by spot balls and also rarely concedes posession, Mutch is capable of those passes that split defences. Kim plays nice football, but it rarely delivers in the end. Again , my opinion.
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:17 am

Red614 wrote:Well obviously if Malky actually listened to me 100% we would be currently revelling over a 9-0 win with Odemwingie, Mutch and Noone hat tricks. (9 Whittingham assists), but I'm willing to forgive him since he took a few of my points on board. Revised XI v Fulham? 692773407

Revised XI v Fulham? 2294057153
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend

PostCyncoedslumdog Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:05 pm

Red614 wrote:Well obviously if Malky actually listened to me 100% we would be currently revelling over a 9-0 win with Odemwingie, Mutch and Noone hat tricks. (9 Whittingham assists), but I'm willing to forgive him since he took a few of my points on board. Revised XI v Fulham? 692773407

Seriously though, our midfield is a real head scratcher. I want to see Noone, Mutch and Odemwingie play regularly, but to drop anyone from the starting eleven would be incredibly cruel. As I said, I'd want Noone and Campbell on the wings, but that means that Kim, Whitts and Mutch are all battling for the same position right behind our striker. Dropping Gunnarrson allows another spot, but that would be cruel considering the muscle he's added to our defence everytime he plays.

Me personally, at home I would play Gunnarrson in defensive midfield and let Whittingham have the attacking midfield place. Away from home, I'd drop Gunnarrson and play Mutch and Whitts in midfield.

Again I'm ignoring Kim, and that will annoy someone. My personal opinion is we get a little too distracted by now nimble footwork and don't realise that in terms of game changing manoeuvres, he's probably added the least out of those three. Whitts provides goals by spot balls and also rarely concedes posession, Mutch is capable of those passes that split defences. Kim plays nice football, but it rarely delivers in the end. Again , my opinion.
I don't see the logic in playing a mainly defensive midfielder at home and swopping him for an attacking one when we are away. Also, Kim would always be in my line up unless he loses form big time.
A player who is starting to concern me is Campbell. Since Man City his general play has been good but he's missed a number of chances - time to give Maynard a run?
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum