View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 22790
Posting Flair : 760

PostTans Tache Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:15 am

On facebook today ive seen people who dont give a s**t about city normally bragging how.they have.tickets.for tommorow and bolton,, It winds me up cos i know for a.fact they r man u/ lpool fans normally, yet they b down city tommorow cheering us on then bk to supporting whoever.on sat, they werent rhere when we was s**t ao dont c why they should b aloud to join our sucess,

theres a.saying, if you cant support us at our worst then dont support us at our best!!!
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:20 am

it does not wind me up because i think vinnie tan has had the last laugh. deep down and if they have a ninian park gut they will be sick as a pig like annis and his crowd.
R-DONO
R-DONO
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 7195
Posting Flair : 490

PostR-DONO Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:24 am

They don't wind me up. I just feel sorry for them. They never experience the real joy that we will (probably) experience tomorrow night. Nobody can experience that unless they've had those lows as well, and we've had plenty of those.
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:25 am

It's pathetic.
I know one lad who says he's a Manure fan, born and bred in Cardiff, still living here, but tells me 'they' will hammer 'us' next season.
Another one with the same background who travels to Newcastle for their home games, says he's 'Toon army', and talks about 'our' local derby against The Mackems.
Presumably there'll be less of them about in future.
Phil Blue/Red
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1550
Posting Flair : 130

PostPhil Blue/Red Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:39 am

R-DONO wrote:They don't wind me up. I just feel sorry for them. They never experience the real joy that we will (probably) experience tomorrow night. Nobody can experience that unless they've had those lows as well, and we've had plenty of those.
Spot on!
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:43 am

Always the way tache, there are always fans that come out of the woodwork when we are successful, we didn't have 22,000 on average when we in the lower divisions for example, but that is true for all teams.

The more fans we have the merrier I say.
R-DONO
R-DONO
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 7195
Posting Flair : 490

PostR-DONO Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:09 am

On an unplastic note, some comments I've just read on Facebook from the Man made of Sugar are hilarious. Part of me knows he's right pissed off that his ego wont let him go down tomorrow night.
Dr_Socks
Dr_Socks
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 989
Posting Flair : 110

PostDr_Socks Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:17 am

R-DONO wrote:They don't wind me up. I just feel sorry for them. They never experience the real joy that we will (probably) experience tomorrow night. Nobody can experience that unless they've had those lows as well, and we've had plenty of those.

Does It Wind You Up... The "Plastics" 3874419067
lottydottyblue
lottydottyblue
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1338
Posting Flair : 60

Postlottydottyblue Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:25 am

I just don't care anymore. People make choices in life and maybe for football fans one of those is which team to follow and support. Circumstances very often dictate whether people attend matches or not, so if people with families to support prioritise their spending and have to pick and choose the games they attend then I for one won't be critical. Where I stick two fingers in the air is to those people born and brought up in South Wales who ridicule the fans of City, Swans, etc. for supporting their local teams whilst they purport to be ardent followers of Man U. etc, but have never set foot in Old Trafford or any other Football Stadium.
Welshineire
Welshineire
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1168
Posting Flair : 100

PostWelshineire Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:41 am

Truth is that any expansion of the stadium will need to be filled. If that means that local people start attending matches then that has to be all for the better forthe club. Unfortunatley we are raising children that expect everything on a plate with instant success. This applies to all aspects of their lives. And that is why so many support teams that they have very little physical attachement too. But there is something very satisfying about basking in the light of achievement after years of falling just short. That genuine feeling of joy and relief cannot be imitated.
Caldi Blue
Caldi Blue
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 3884
Posting Flair : 540

PostCaldi Blue Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:23 am

I'm with lottydottyblue here. I used to get wound about this a lot, but my view has changed with age.

My dad is a Cardiff City fan, my uncle is a Cardiff City fan, their dad (yes, my granddad, having a pint in his memory tomorrow) was a Cardiff City fan, so naturally me and my cousin were naturally going to be Cardiff City fans too, being a long family tradition.

Most of my mates don't support Cardiff, most of them support Liverpool or Manchester United and some Spurs, Arsenal etc. To be fair to them they have all stuck with those teams and even though some have been to games with me (and enjoyed it) they've never jumped ship, never jumped on the bandwagon. And I respect that.

But the point is they chose their teams as young children, none of their parents supported Cardiff, so why would a 6 year old just start supporting a team languishing at the bottom of the football league who are never on tele or on the back pages of the papers. I've got a mate who started supporting Man U as a kid purely because of Welsh legend Mark Hughes and other mates who started supporting Liverpool because of another legend Rush.

What does annoy me is the Liverpool/Man U fans who constantly ridicule each other for whatever reason (the Liverpool ones struggle more admittedly) because, as I've explained before on facebook rants, they could just as easily have supported the team they so apparently hate. I've got a theory that the ones (around my age at least) who started watching football in the late 80s-90 probably chose Liverpool as their team and the ones a year or two later probably Man U.

To be honest I don't see much of Welsh Premier Leagie supporting people ridiculing Cardiff or jumping on the bandwagon because I don't bother with those types and even if someone did want to do that they wouldn't dare because they know I'd publicly rip them to shreds.

With regards to the increasing numbers over the years that's only natural. Yes I guess there have been a fair few people who have switched allegiances over the years but personally, every City fan I know have always been known for being Bluebirds.

The truth is it's probably mostly the same people going down that have for years, but, I guess, those people are now going down more, it's only natural that people are more willing to part with their cash on a more regular basis to see a successful team - it's perfectly reasonable.

The end.
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:37 am

makes you wonder where the corporate pound is going to go. will it go to the ccs or the blues. fast coming to the view that rugby in south wales is at a crossroads and that leaving cardiff city stadium was the blues biggest mistake. tend to the view that this may well form the subject matter of a major thread next year
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:16 am

Caldi Blue wrote:I'm with lottydottyblue here. I used to get wound about this a lot, but my view has changed with age.

My dad is a Cardiff City fan, my uncle is a Cardiff City fan, their dad (yes, my granddad, having a pint in his memory tomorrow) was a Cardiff City fan, so naturally me and my cousin were naturally going to be Cardiff City fans too, being a long family tradition.

Most of my mates don't support Cardiff, most of them support Liverpool or Manchester United and some Spurs, Arsenal etc. To be fair to them they have all stuck with those teams and even though some have been to games with me (and enjoyed it) they've never jumped ship, never jumped on the bandwagon. And I respect that.

But the point is they chose their teams as young children, none of their parents supported Cardiff, so why would a 6 year old just start supporting a team languishing at the bottom of the football league who are never on tele or on the back pages of the papers. I've got a mate who started supporting Man U as a kid purely because of Welsh legend Mark Hughes and other mates who started supporting Liverpool because of another legend Rush.

What does annoy me is the Liverpool/Man U fans who constantly ridicule each other for whatever reason (the Liverpool ones struggle more admittedly) because, as I've explained before on facebook rants, they could just as easily have supported the team they so apparently hate. I've got a theory that the ones (around my age at least) who started watching football in the late 80s-90 probably chose Liverpool as their team and the ones a year or two later probably Man U.

To be honest I don't see much of Welsh Premier Leagie supporting people ridiculing Cardiff or jumping on the bandwagon because I don't bother with those types and even if someone did want to do that they wouldn't dare because they know I'd publicly rip them to shreds.

With regards to the increasing numbers over the years that's only natural. Yes I guess there have been a fair few people who have switched allegiances over the years but personally, every City fan I know have always been known for being Bluebirds.

The truth is it's probably mostly the same people going down that have for years, but, I guess, those people are now going down more, it's only natural that people are more willing to part with their cash on a more regular basis to see a successful team - it's perfectly reasonable.

The end.

You deserve some flair for that piece
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:52 am

In all honesty, I find them a curiosity.

I can understand kids picking teams on a whimsy as up to a certain age that's how all BIG decisions are made Does It Wind You Up... The "Plastics" 692773407 I even flirted with supporting Liverpool for a while (I was 5!) mainly because I didn't even know Cardiff had a team. They then got beaten 4-1 by Luton Town, so I liked them instead before spending a few years following Newport County as by that time I'd been told that Cardiff City were evil Twisted Evil by my friend's Dad who took us to games. By the time I was 12 though, it made perfect sense for me to choose the place that I was born as my team. I never considered anything else, why would I?

As an adult, or even a 12 year old, you have the brain capacity to understand these things and make those decisions for yourself and I am genuinely baffled by some of the tales I hear from you guys above. It obviously relates to success (among other reasons) and people wanting to feel that but it suggests to me a certain weakness of character to trawl around looking to support the best things in life just to ride the coat tails of a team you have (in most cases) no geographical or familial link with whatsoever. To generate an emotional link with team based purely on their likelihood of success.

The most depressing part of the Carling Cup Final for me was not Kenny Miller's last minute miss or Anthony Gerrard's woeful penalty, but that in the Cardiff end there were Liverpool fans with Cardiff accents who were genuinely supporting the Reds over the Blues. I cannot comprehend that and I do like to think myself a liberal and reasoned person who can empathise with most rationales. For me, it is like an England fan supporting Germany at the World Cup because Germany are more likely to win. It has that same perversity to it.

I try very hard to not look down on such individuals as everyone has the right to support whoever they want for whatever reason (and often family ties/reasons do come into it) but for those who have actively picked a "bigger" club over their local one I can't help but find myself looking at them strangely thinking "why? why do that?" and regarding them as a little bit superficial and lacking in character. The worst thing is, I feel guilty for feeling that.

Don't get me wrong though, I am very happy that more people are watching City now than previously - that can only be a good thing for the club and success will breed success. I do hope that when things start to go pear-shaped, and they will at some point, that they stick around and continue to support the team.
Man Of Harlech
Man Of Harlech
Squad Player
Squad Player
User Points : 369
Posting Flair : 30

PostMan Of Harlech Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:40 am

People moan when the stadium isn't full but moan more when 'plastics' join the party. At the moment they are not exactly taking seats from existing fans desperate for tickets. Without them the stadium probably would not be full tomorrow. I would rather see a full stadium than empty plastic seats.

So I have no problem as long as they do actually support the team. They will not experience the ecstasy that some of us will when the dream of promotion becomes a reality.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum