TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:24 am

First topic message reminder :

Where has it been all season?

The answer is that Mutch has been injured, but now that he is fit, what a combination he offers with Kimbo.... That Midfield! - Page 2 1499845164

Kimbo now has someone he can rely on to lay the ball off to who plays on the same level as him. He's been playing on a different plane to everyone else until Mutch returned fit and raring to go.

Where it leaves Whitts, I am not sure. For so long the jewel in the crown and obviously still a fantastic player that other teams will covert, there will need to be an alternative midfield system that can utilise his skills to the best.......any suggestions?

I am mindful that we also have Filip Kiss and Joe Ralls in the wings.

All in all, I don't think we'll need much more for the Premiership in the midfield area..........although Rambo could be a useful addition to the squad.

Caldi Blue
Caldi Blue
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 3884
Posting Flair : 540

PostCaldi Blue Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:00 pm

Yes it's looking very good and I think it will be fine in the PL.

With regards to Whitts, it's unfair to judge as he was part of a 2 man midfield and since he was dropped it's been mostly a 3 man midfield. Next season in the PL we will need lots of classy midfielders and Whitts will definitely play a part as he's still one of our best players on the ball.

Midfield is one area we won't need to strengthen next season and as much as I'd love to see Rambo at the City one day, the truth is he's played a part in nearly every Arsenal league match this season.
Alf Red
Alf Red
Squad Player
Squad Player
User Points : 286
Posting Flair : 10

PostAlf Red Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:01 pm

Slumdog's Son™ wrote:I think he scored 11 or so out left a few years ago. There is a lot of competition out left though, as Bellers and Noone play there although I expect Conway to move on in the summer. It would also allow us space in the squad to bring in Rambo as a central midfield option...?!

He actually scored 25 goals from the left in one season. Definitely his best position
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:52 pm

Alf Red wrote:
Slumdog's Son™ wrote:I think he scored 11 or so out left a few years ago. There is a lot of competition out left though, as Bellers and Noone play there although I expect Conway to move on in the summer. It would also allow us space in the squad to bring in Rambo as a central midfield option...?!

He actually scored 25 goals from the left in one season. Definitely his best position

Pretty sure 10+ of those were from the spot. Still, decent GS record.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 am

Unless Wikipedia is lying, his best ever goal scoring season was 20 in 9-10, going up to 23 if you include cup goals. Plus taking gloves star of at least ten penalties, his goals from play drops to ten or less, no better than any other season with us. Very little evidence to say he's best out wide, especially when you take into account the sort of players that would miss out on games considering how overcrowded wide left is already.
Man Of Harlech
Man Of Harlech
Squad Player
Squad Player
User Points : 369
Posting Flair : 30

PostMan Of Harlech Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:22 am

I just can't believe that there are people (not necessarily on here) writing Whitts off - probably the same people who a few months ago were saying that he would thrive in the prem and calling him a legend. I am sure that he will play a huge part for us next season, but not out wide. We all know that there will be lots of changes next season and a number of changes in personnel. it will be a learning process for everyone but I am sure that Malky will find a pattern within which Whitts will again thrive.

I too would love to see Rambo back but I don't think it will happen. Would anyone want Gunter back?
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:53 am

I fully agree on Whitts MOH. It has been sad this season to see his game fall away so much and him genuine struggling to make an impact for the first time in years. I don't think Malky has got things right with Whitts this season and his confidence has suffered as a result of it.

Whitts is still a quality player though and i am backing both him and Malky to find a way of exploiting his talents properly. Whitts at his best will be an assett in the Premier and i honestly despair of some people who are slagging him off so badly. Some people i know have always hated his "lazy" style of play where he hardly rushes because he can find time on the ball to make his pass and simply doesn't need to rush around to achieve the same thing. For them it is now the perfect time to tell everyone how Whitts has never been any good. Crazy.

For the rest of this season possibly Whittingham might be a bit part player. It won't hurt him to have a longer rest and then try to come back next season raring to go again. It is good to see that we are developing a system that doesn't necessarily revolve around him. If Malky can find a way of making him work in that system then he will be a brilliant option to have.
lottydottyblue
lottydottyblue
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1338
Posting Flair : 60

Postlottydottyblue Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:41 am

Toast Boy wrote:I fully agree on Whitts MOH. It has been sad this season to see his game fall away so much and him genuine struggling to make an impact for the first time in years. I don't think Malky has got things right with Whitts this season and his confidence has suffered as a result of it.

Whitts is still a quality player though and i am backing both him and Malky to find a way of exploiting his talents properly. Whitts at his best will be an assett in the Premier and i honestly despair of some people who are slagging him off so badly. Some people i know have always hated his "lazy" style of play where he hardly rushes because he can find time on the ball to make his pass and simply doesn't need to rush around to achieve the same thing. For them it is now the perfect time to tell everyone how Whitts has never been any good. Crazy.

For the rest of this season possibly Whittingham might be a bit part player. It won't hurt him to have a longer rest and then try to come back next season raring to go again. It is good to see that we are developing a system that doesn't necessarily revolve around him. If Malky can find a way of making him work in that system then he will be a brilliant option to have.
Well said, Sir. Players with the talent of PW sometimes lose form but that doesn't suddenly make them a bad player. As the saying goes, 'form is temporary but skill or talent is permanent'.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:46 am

Whitts will be fine but he is probably behind Mutch/Gunns/Kim in central midfield in my opinion. He is still undoubtedly a quality player but the balance is better with those three. I agree with Toast Boy though, Whitts wasn't deployed in a way that's conducive to his style of play, and he started far too many games.
Caer y Glyn
Caer y Glyn
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1927
Posting Flair : 70

PostCaer y Glyn Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:56 am

Man Of Harlech wrote:I just can't believe that there are people (not necessarily on here) writing Whitts off - probably the same people who a few months ago were saying that he would thrive in the prem and calling him a legend. I am sure that he will play a huge part for us next season, but not out wide. We all know that there will be lots of changes next season and a number of changes in personnel. it will be a learning process for everyone but I am sure that Malky will find a pattern within which Whitts will again thrive.

I too would love to see Rambo back but I don't think it will happen. Would anyone want Gunter back?
MoH nice to hear from you again!
As I said above I would like to see Whitts in a central trio with Kim and Mutch ahead of the overrated Gunnar who I think will struggle with the pace of thought and movement in the PL.
Alf Red
Alf Red
Squad Player
Squad Player
User Points : 286
Posting Flair : 10

PostAlf Red Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:50 am

Red614 wrote:Unless Wikipedia is lying, his best ever goal scoring season was 20 in 9-10, going up to 23 if you include cup goals. Plus taking gloves star of at least ten penalties, his goals from play drops to ten or less, no better than any other season with us. Very little evidence to say he's best out wide, especially when you take into account the sort of players that would miss out on games considering how overcrowded wide left is already.

You have left out the 2 goals he scored in the playoffs. In 2009/10 he therefore scored 25 goals in all competitions. He scored no more than 13 in any other season and he was taking penalties then too. Any way you look at it his best goalscoring season came when he was played wide on the left. Got 13 assists that year too- not too shabby.
Man Of Harlech
Man Of Harlech
Squad Player
Squad Player
User Points : 369
Posting Flair : 30

PostMan Of Harlech Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:03 am

There were an awful lot of pens in that total though. I remember seeing an interview by Whitts when he said that he would never have reached that total if Bothroyd hadn't been throwing himself on the floor so often.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:06 am

Man Of Harlech wrote:There were an awful lot of pens in that total though. I remember seeing an interview by Whitts when he said that he would never have reached that total if Bothroyd hadn't been throwing himself on the floor so often.

That was Bothroyd's best position That Midfield! - Page 2 635981802 That Midfield! - Page 2 692773407
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum