Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:43 am

First topic message reminder :

Malky Mackay today in his Wales Online interview, when asked for his transfer plans in January, responded 'there are definetely parts of the squad I would like to strengthen, but I have to justify my budget'.

With that in mind, two questions for discussion -

1) What does Malky's cryptic answer mean? Should we expect minimal activity considering the money spent at the start of the season? Or is he simply saying he won't be paying over the price for players?

2) What areas would you like to see strengthened and do you have any players in mind?

Personally, id like to see another pacey wing option since Bellamy being favoured more advanced now does leave us slightly lacking. The possibility of taking Redmond from Birmingham on the cheap is looking very tempting to me. Couple that with our obvious defensive weaknesses. New full backs, another centre back.

Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:50 am

Arkay v2.0 wrote:Yes that's right, the correct terms these days are WHEN we get promoted and IF we turn back to blue.

January transfer movement? - Page 2 692773407
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:45 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:I have a feeling that Malky will be continuing to look overseas rather than the enter the lottery of the overpriced Brit market we usually see in January.

Interesting, do you think we can use it as an insight into Malky's thoughts on Kim and Velikonja? After their purchases he went back to the British market and picked up the rest of our new players - we don't really know however whether this was truly a panic but because he'd made a mistake or just coincidence. If we find him buying only British league players again, will this make anyone worry about those two further?

Oh and VT, Arkay, go sit in the corner. I've told you about this before, distracting perfectly good football chat. I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:52 am

Sorry Red...it's a problem I'm seeking counselling for. Unfortunately, my Therapist is Valley Trash.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:57 am

Everyone stop worrying over Kimbo and Velikonja. Etien against Newcastle preseason finished superbly and had excellent positioning and movement and Kimbo was brilliant at the Olympics. I've got no fears over them!

Not sure about plugging overseas, I think we bought the above two because they are highly rated prospects available at the right price. But we do need a top flight defender and we won't find one in the UK...
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:06 am

Slumdog's Son wrote:Everyone stop worrying over Kimbo and Velikonja. Etien against Newcastle preseason finished superbly and had excellent positioning and movement and Kimbo was brilliant at the Olympics. I've got no fears over them!

Not sure about plugging overseas, I think we bought the above two because they are highly rated prospects available at the right price. But we do need a top flight defender and we won't find one in the UK...

Not worrying, just consider me to be 'hosting' this debat I guess. I just ask the questions haha.

I will say this though - Miller had some great finishes too, and Kimbo didn't play a game at the Olympics against 'rougher' defences like our own.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:09 am

Red614 wrote:
Slumdog's Son wrote:Everyone stop worrying over Kimbo and Velikonja. Etien against Newcastle preseason finished superbly and had excellent positioning and movement and Kimbo was brilliant at the Olympics. I've got no fears over them!

Not worrying, just consider me to be 'hosting' this debat I guess. I just ask the questions haha.

I will say this though - Miller had some great finishes too, and Kimbo didn't play a game at the Olympics against 'rougher' defences like our own.

Just reading Malky's pre-game interview on the official site -and Kim lost a tooth in the Iran game...seriously needs to toughen up
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:12 am

Exactly, imagine what a centre back like Shawcross would do to him?
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:19 am

This is why we aren't exposing him yet. In the last few months with us he's developed legs like a tank. But the Japanese top league is nothing like as physical as the Championship, which is probably one of, if not the most physical professional league.

Same goes for Etien, he's not a huge bloke and having some of the British defenders rugby tackling him every three minutes will be difficult until he's acclimatised. I do think he needs a big, tough target man alongside him though.

I want to see more of Kiss, although I suspect he will come into play at the same time as the above mentioned duo
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:21 am

And Shawcross would break his legs. It seems to be his reaction when faced with any quality player.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:44 am

Slumdog's Son wrote:And Shawcross would break his legs. It seems to be his reaction when faced with any quality player.

Somewhere in Stoke, Ryan Shawcross is now crying into a computer keyboard January transfer movement? - Page 2 692773407
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:56 am

Red614 wrote:
Slumdog's Son wrote:And Shawcross would break his legs. It seems to be his reaction when faced with any quality player.

Somewhere in Stoke, Ryan Shawcross is now crying into a computer keyboard January transfer movement? - Page 2 692773407

Apparently Man Utd are going to buy him back? Either he's available on the cheap or Stoke want shot...I've never thought he's Champions League quality?!
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:38 am

With Connolly able to play across the back four and Turner waiting in the wings, I'm guessing that Malky is content with the defensive flexibility he has to be going on with.

I think he will may well be looking for a longer term replacement for SuperKev in Jan and maybe a left back as well, if Taylor doesn't tighten up on his defensive duites. I also think he'll be more likely to find those players in Europe

Last edited by The Devil's Advocate on Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:56 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:With Connolly able to play across the back four and Turner waiting in the wings, I'm guessing that Malky is content with the defensive flexibility he has to be going on with.

I think he will may well be looking for a longer term replacement for SuperKev in Jan and maybe a left back as well, if Taylor doesn't tighten up on his defensive duites. I also think he'll be more likely to find those players in Europe

Kev isn't good enough with his final ball, and Taylor, as you have pointed out, is a weak link defensively. So you are spot on. I've heard Man Utd want to offload Fábio...what's the chances if we go up...?!

Ok maybe not but I'd love Nedum Onuoha. Shame he's a regular for QPR.
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 5923
Posting Flair : 460

PostG-ster Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:25 am

Valley Trash wrote:
G-ster wrote:Blow the budget on Charlie Austin and promotion is a certainty IMO.

Plus a full-back as cover, able to play on the left and right side.

Blow the budget on Steve Austin... He's quick, sharp reflexes and great vision... And the 6 million dollar fee would come in a shade under budget at £3,740,880.47... Leaving enough for Metal Mickey to shore up defence

With some of City's fans being so fickle, Steve Austin would only end up as The Fall Guy.
coat

(Posters under 40 will not understand this cultural reference)
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:40 am

G-ster wrote:
Valley Trash wrote:
G-ster wrote:Blow the budget on Charlie Austin and promotion is a certainty IMO.

Plus a full-back as cover, able to play on the left and right side.

Blow the budget on Steve Austin... He's quick, sharp reflexes and great vision... And the 6 million dollar fee would come in a shade under budget at £3,740,880.47... Leaving enough for Metal Mickey to shore up defence

With some of City's fans being so fickle, Steve Austin would only end up as The Fall Guy.
coat

(Posters under 40 will not understand this cultural reference)

January transfer movement? - Page 2 2854552383 January transfer movement? - Page 2 692773407
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum