View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:43 am

Malky Mackay today in his Wales Online interview, when asked for his transfer plans in January, responded 'there are definetely parts of the squad I would like to strengthen, but I have to justify my budget'.

With that in mind, two questions for discussion -

1) What does Malky's cryptic answer mean? Should we expect minimal activity considering the money spent at the start of the season? Or is he simply saying he won't be paying over the price for players?

2) What areas would you like to see strengthened and do you have any players in mind?

Personally, id like to see another pacey wing option since Bellamy being favoured more advanced now does leave us slightly lacking. The possibility of taking Redmond from Birmingham on the cheap is looking very tempting to me. Couple that with our obvious defensive weaknesses. New full backs, another centre back.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:11 am

For me I would like to see another forward now that Maynard is out for the season.

Strangely when Rudy came on he seemed to add something because of his aerial ability. Someone of his ilk will be needed imo.

Also, we might want to offload one or two?
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:15 am

My sources are less reliable than Gazza in a Vicky Wine with a fishing rod but I've heard that VT has given Malky another £5 million for the next transfer window January transfer movement? 4228682415
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:31 am

A new striker would definetely make sense. Helguson is a good striker but he won't cut it for long if the squad achieve promotion. Likewise Bellamy isn't getting any younger and can't be relied on.

Rumours around that Birmingham might be forced to get red of Butland as well as Redmond - anyone like the idea of that? I know between the posts is a very reliable keeper already, but Butland impressed everyone at the Olympics. Rs only young and could be on his way to the big leagues very soon. Steal him now on the cheap, force good performance out of Marshall because of his appearance, make a tidy profit when he probably moves on? If we have 5 million spare like Valley said, might not be a bad idea.

First and foremost though I reckon the defence should be the focus. We have had no problem scoring goals recently, but we've proved a bit too prone to conceding too.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:43 am

Yup, defence is a definite place of concern. I'd still like to see Rudy given a go if that is an option Mallky is considering.

I'd like Butland but it would be harsh on Marshall and Lewis who have both performed well this season.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:22 pm

I'd take Butland and Redmond without a doubt. After that we need strengthening at the back. I'm not worried up front, we have Gestede, Helguson, Velikonja, Bellamy, Jarvis (...?), Smith
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 5923
Posting Flair : 460

PostG-ster Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Blow the budget on Charlie Austin and promotion is a certainty IMO.

Plus a full-back as cover, able to play on the left and right side.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Saying that I don't know what decent defenders are available? Judging by our pursuit of Shackell and Keogh if Malkay thinks they will cost more than he believes their market value is, he will simply cancel the deal
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostValley Trash Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:58 pm

G-ster wrote:Blow the budget on Charlie Austin and promotion is a certainty IMO.

Plus a full-back as cover, able to play on the left and right side.

Blow the budget on Steve Austin... He's quick, sharp reflexes and great vision... And the 6 million dollar fee would come in a shade under budget at £3,740,880.47... Leaving enough for Metal Mickey to shore up defence
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Austin may wait for a Prem team, there's a few rumours Villa and the Toon are looking at him. Plus Southampton and Everton want Butland and Liverpool want Redmond, we could be looking at highly inflated transfer fees and a hard job convincing the players to join us
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:47 pm

Slumdog's Son wrote:Austin may wait for a Prem team, there's a few rumours Villa and the Toon are looking at him. Plus Southampton and Everton want Butland and Liverpool want Redmond, we could be looking at highly inflated transfer fees and a hard job convincing the players to join us

They'd be bargains, even if we had a fight on our hands. Birmingham don't have the money to argue any fee. Give them a half decent figure and they'll accept it, guaranteed. They let Mutch go for a bargain remember, and he was supposed to be out of our price range too. Austin though would be out of range though I reckon. They wouldn't want to give him to another championship team, and he's a star player. If he stays where he is though, might be worth an attempted grab in the summer IF we get promoted.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:52 pm

Red614 wrote:
Slumdog's Son wrote:Austin may wait for a Prem team, there's a few rumours Villa and the Toon are looking at him. Plus Southampton and Everton want Butland and Liverpool want Redmond, we could be looking at highly inflated transfer fees and a hard job convincing the players to join us

They'd be bargains, even if we had a fight on our hands. Birmingham don't have the money to argue any fee. Give them a half decent figure and they'll accept it, guaranteed. They let Mutch go for a bargain remember, and he was supposed to be out of our price range too. Austin though would be out of range though I reckon. They wouldn't want to give him to another championship team, and he's a star player. If he stays where he is though, might be worth an attempted grab in the summer IF we get promoted.

Valid points, and I agree on the Austin situation as well.

If Birmingham are in the s**t then we need to move ASAP. Yes Marshall has been a good keeper for us, but you always need to progress. Butland is a potential future England number 1 and Redmond would replace Bellamy and allow Craig to be reserved for the big games and to extend his career.

And thinking about it, maybe they would choose us over a Prem team...VT worked his magic to get Kimbo to sign for us over Dortmund and Monaco...
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:24 am

I have a feeling that Malky will be continuing to look overseas rather than the enter the lottery of the overpriced Brit market we usually see in January.
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostValley Trash Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:43 am

Red614 wrote:

Tut tut Red... When we get promoted, WHEN we get promoted... You need to move from the conditional to the predictive clause on this forum
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:48 am

Yes that's right, the correct terms these days are WHEN we get promoted and IF we turn back to blue.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum