Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

So chaps,

Big game ahead of us today and not one that I'm feeling very confident about to be honest. Norwich's recent results are very sobering - having turned over Bournemouth away recently too.  

Regarding team news, Marshall hasn't travelled so Moore will step in - he looks very able from what I've seen if him this season, learning his trade alongside one of the best in Marshall - I'm hoping he sticks around and in the future becomes our number one.

Jones is unlikely to start because of a niggling hip injury apparently, so I'm expecting Revell too, alongside Alfie. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the moment.  

Malone, who was MOTM against Fulham apparently (not bad for a debut), will also no doubt start.  

Ever the optimist,  I feel we could grab a point, perhaps even nick it today.

How about everyone else?

Last edited by Rhys on Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:51 am

maisie'sdad wrote:tend to the view that all scott young can do is mouth it off about this or that player. hate to say it but has the time come to rest whitts and put some steel into the midfield, but it could be argued that adeyemi and gunnarrson should be providing the steel

Well, quite.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:52 am

Gunnarsson & Adeyemi can't carry Noone & Whitts. What the latter two contributed today was okay (so far as I could make out from the Player commentary), but there just wasn't enough of it. Both are far too anonymous at a time when the players need to step up and perform.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:38 am

TDA wrote:Gunnarsson & Adeyemi can't carry Noone & Whitts.  What the latter two contributed today was okay (so far as I could make out from the Player commentary), but there just wasn't enough of it.  Both are far too anonymous at a time when the players need to step up and perform.

Playing Devil's Advocate here, are Gunnarsson and Adeyemi simply not good enough at what they do?
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:20 am

Gunnarrson isn't good enough. When on form he is adequate, when he isn't quite so sharp he's a complete liability. He could be useful from the bench, but given a half decent replacement he shouldn't be making the starting XI.

I think Adeyemi could be a solid squad player, given time. Worth remembering this is his first season with a side that is very much in limbo. Key word really is could though.
maisie'sdad
maisie'sdad
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1710
Posting Flair : 40

Postmaisie'sdad Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:47 am

think i agree with arkay with whitts being an attacking midfielder or just behind the striker. but we need a team not individuals
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:31 pm

Red614 wrote:Gunnarrson isn't good enough. When on form he is adequate, when he isn't quite so sharp he's a complete liability. He could be useful from the bench, but given a half decent replacement he shouldn't be making the starting XI.

I think Adeyemi could be a solid squad player, given time. Worth remembering this is his first season with a side that is very much in limbo. Key word really is could though.

The point I am trying to make is that I don't think anyone could argue that Gunnarsson doesn't try his best every game. It may be that his best is not good enough if others around him are underperforming and that there is no doubt that both Whitts and Noone are nothing like their sharpest.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:16 pm

I know what you mean TDA, in the squads current climate Gunnarrson is one of our best players purely on the merit of him caring about whether we win or lose. He'll run himself into the ground and that's really all we can ask. The problem is he lacks the quality to pull he rabbit out of the hat when everyone else fails to do so, so to speak.

Le Fondre really should be doomed to the bench for the foreseeable future. He HAS to be. Revell go the closest to impressing and proved he's a capable target man, and adding the extra player to the kidfield instead could help our link up problems. But then again, this is Russell Slade we are talking about.

I still think we are just about good enough to not go down, but it's starting to look like it's going to be much more uncomfortable than Id hope.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:42 pm

I don't think there will be any miracle turn around under the present regime and I don't envisage any players coming in being better than we already have or just let go.

Thankfully, there are some truly awful teams below us and even if we can't beat them, I think there is enough daylight to keep us safe. However, on present form, I expect us to finish, in terms of points, nearer to the relegation places than the playoffs.
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:04 pm

Regarding the earlier references to Steve Tucker's mark, a different writer in the Football Paper this morning also gave Malone 3/10 and said he was hopelessly outclassed by Redmond.
SteWells
SteWells
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 1655
Posting Flair : 100

PostSteWells Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:08 pm

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:
Red614 wrote:I'm confused...I thought Scott Young said that the problem was the fans protests had affected the team morale? We've had the best atmosphere of the whole season these last two matches home and away, so how come we were such a shambles?

Oh wait, it was ANOTHER excuse.

I think one of the problems IS Scott Young. Even Leighton James (aaaaargh) just said 'when Slade turns to discuss a problem with someone, all he sees is Scott Young'. Perhaps he should have thrown the ex academy coaches sitting behind him into the equation?

I don't know if I'm right about this, but I have the idea in my head that when a new manager goes into a club, he usually takes some 'back room' staff with him.
Did Slade bring anyone with him?
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend

PostCyncoedslumdog Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:13 pm

Nobody!
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend

PostCyncoedslumdog Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:24 pm

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:Nobody!

I think he wanted to bring Kevin Nugent with him but he stayed to manage Orient and lasted about three weeks!
SteWells
SteWells
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 1655
Posting Flair : 100

PostSteWells Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:51 am

To me, that says a lot about Slade. And none of it is good.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:11 am

SteWells wrote:To me, that says a lot about Slade. And none of it is good.

Bringing his own team in would mean he has to take the blame if they failed. This way he can point the finger at Scott Young if the axe starts falling. Just the way Slade likes it, it seems.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:55 am

I am now convinced that Russell Slade is the complete "yes man" and took the job with Lord knows how many strings attached to it, in order to make the club saleable in the longer term.

VT at the interview.........

1. Here is a list of players who will be leaving to lighten the wage bill. It doesn't matter if one or two are current internationals and have played at a standard higher than our Championship, they have to go and you don't have to give them an explanation.

2. No, you can't bring your own coaches. We have some here already and they know the city well and will help you settle in. No, not that City, I mean the city.

3. No, there is no new money for players, but if any club is daft enough to actually pay money for any of our foreign players, then you can have some of that.

4. We will give you a two year contract (which is longer than you would have lasted at Orient) and pay you a little bit more.

5. Any questions?

RS.........SOUNDS PERFECT! WHERE DO I SIGN? Twisted Evil
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum