Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:33 am

Well, not the WORST but potentially a bad one...we don't get any new strikers in before 31st Jan.

I wouldn't give up hope but, given the players that are currently in the squad, what do you think would be the best team/formation to maximise our ability to score goals (which, by common consent, is our undoing right now)?

I thought having Mutch & Mason playing off Campbell might work, with Kim/Bellers & Noone/Conway swapping wings. Although, I absolutely haven't thought how that might affect the setup of the rest of the squad. Medel deep, probably.

I know there are far more intuitive, tactical minds than mine out there...
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:34 am

tbh always liked joe mason, maybe it was that goal at wembley. we have had too managers that have bought one for the future (now where have i heard that phrase before). healey must be another.

liked nicky maynard, have seen some great goals of his on points west. another mistake? well has to be judging by the games he has played.

that brings me back to joe as there is no one else

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:28 pm

Rhys Healey is only 18 and would of cost less than 50K easily, it's ridiculous to consider him first team yet Dave.

And we need a striker, there's nothing for it really. Campbell doesn't suit a 4-5-1 but we don't have the quality up front to to afford adding another striker at the cost of one of our superb middle three.

Id play Mutch as a number 9, he's our best goal scoring centre midfielder. Give him the same role Rooney has at Utd, to drop back to link play but also to join the striker up front when he can. Compliment them with Noone and Daehli if he comes good quickly, if not Bellamy. Eikrem and Medel to anchor the midfield.

But yeah, we really, REALLY, need a new striker.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:20 pm

Red614 wrote:Rhys Healey is only 18 and would of cost less than 50K easily, it's ridiculous to consider him first team yet Dave.

And we need a striker, there's nothing for it really. Campbell doesn't suit a 4-5-1 but we don't have the quality up front to to afford adding another striker at the cost of one of our superb middle three.

Id play Mutch as a number 9, he's our best goal scoring centre midfielder. Give him the same role Rooney has at Utd, to drop back to link play but also to join the striker up front when he can. Compliment them with Noone and Daehli if he comes good quickly, if not Bellamy. Eikrem and Medel to anchor the midfield.

But yeah, we really, REALLY, need a new striker.

Mutch and Noone are more of a threat than any of our strikers, and MUST continue to play. I would be tempted to drop Medel into central defence as he coped well against England and is more comfortable on the ball than our other defenders. Gunns could play in front of the defence with Eikrem, which I know is not ideal as I believe Gunns is more of a box-to-box player but would probably end our farcical long balls from the back and perhaps add some composure
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:05 am

As gloves said in another topic, Medel plays centre back for chile but in a five man defence with wingbacks. He's too short to play centre back in a traditional 4-4-2 defence, we'd be punished time and time again with crosses.
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:39 am

i was not advocating playing healey, just pointing out that he was another bought for the future.

we have joe mason and craig bellamy, either of them would be more suitable than loosing mutch from the mid-field
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum