Alternative Play-off Scenario....don't worry, hypothetical only!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:08 pm

At the moment we have 3 teams automatically relegated from the Prem, with teams placed third to sixth in the Championship, playing off for one promotion place.

My feeling is that a more interesting situation would arise with only two teams being automatically relegated from the Prem, with third bottom entering playoffs with places three to five of the Championship.

It is unlikely, given season-long form that puts the team third bottom anyway, but a Premiership team triumphing over three games against Championship wannabees would have confirmed its right to stay up............ Alternative Play-off Scenario....don't worry, hypothetical only! 4228682415

Discuss!

The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:21 pm

This was the format when the playoffs were first introduced, lasting for two seasons (86/87 and 87/88) before the present format was brought in. I don't know the reason for the change, though.
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:00 am

in many ways the old system of a straight-forward top three up and bottom three down is much fairer as over the course of a season you have earned the right to be where you are
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend

PostThe Tonker Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:07 am

Absolutely right Dave......but the playoffs weren't brought in to make things fairer, they were brought in to make the end to the season more meaningful for more clubs who were otherwise playing fairly meaningless games for a mid-table place.

Oh all right then, they were brought in to make more money.
Caldi Blue
Caldi Blue
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 3884
Posting Flair : 540

PostCaldi Blue Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:10 am

davewebber65 wrote:in many ways the old system of a straight-forward top three up and bottom three down is much fairer as over the course of a season you have earned the right to be where you are

This is the fairer way, but I think the play-offs are brilliant, they offer brilliant excitement and give teams something to play for right up to the last round of matches. Every team know what they have to do at the start of the season, if they're not good enough for automatic then they have to slug it out with 3 other teams. I love it!
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:51 am

The Tonker wrote:This was the format when the playoffs were first introduced, lasting for two seasons (86/87 and 87/88) before the present format was brought in. I don't know the reason for the change, though.

Goddammit......I thought the idea had come to me in a dream..... Alternative Play-off Scenario....don't worry, hypothetical only! 4268314175

Looking back at those two seasons, the format coincided with the reduction in size of the old 1st Division, prior to the introduction of the Premiership. In each season, there were three auto relegations, with the fourth bottom entering the playoffs with the third to fifth from the old 2nd Division.

Interestingly, in 1987, Charlton won to avoid relegation, but in 1988 fourth bottom Chelsea lost to Middlesbro' who took their place in the top division.

I do like that concept, even if it had already been tried...............
R-DONO
R-DONO
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 7195
Posting Flair : 490

PostR-DONO Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:00 am

I'm pretty sure this format is used in several leagues still. The Belgian league is one that comes to mind.

The Greek league operates a play-off system for their places in European competitions. The league champions get an automatic CL spot whilst the teams placed 2nd-5th take part in a mini league and then it all gets complicated with the 5th place team starting off on 0 points and teams 2-4 starting with bonus points based on some mathematical shite that I don't understand.
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend

PostThe Tonker Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:21 am

R-DONO wrote:The Greek league operates a play-off system for their places in European competitions. The league champions get an automatic CL spot whilst the teams placed 2nd-5th take part in a mini league and then it all gets complicated with the 5th place team starting off on 0 points and teams 2-4 starting with bonus points based on some mathematical shite that I don't understand.

....and people wonder why the Greek economy is in such a mess!
R-DONO
R-DONO
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 7195
Posting Flair : 490

PostR-DONO Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:38 am

The Tonker wrote:
R-DONO wrote:The Greek league operates a play-off system for their places in European competitions. The league champions get an automatic CL spot whilst the teams placed 2nd-5th take part in a mini league and then it all gets complicated with the 5th place team starting off on 0 points and teams 2-4 starting with bonus points based on some mathematical shite that I don't understand.

....and people wonder why the Greek economy is in such a mess!

Funnily enough this system was brought in at the beginning of the 2008 season. The very same year that the Greek economic crisis hit. Coincidence, I don't think so.
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:09 am

if you have a play-off to decide who goes down then i think it should be between the teams in that league's "relegation zone."
those teams are usually a lot stronger than those in the "aspiring league" and so it may not be much of a contest and in consequence unfair.
it can also be argued that the teams in the higher league would have a vested interest in preserving the status qou

Last edited by davewebber65 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:10 am

Playoffs do make things more exciting.

Though I feel for the clubs that finish midtable year in, year out... perhaps a new system should be developed for them too.

Perhaps a mini competition to win a decent seeding for the FA Cup final rounds or something
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum