http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

My favourite conferences of the year!

Microsoft conference - 5pm

EA - 8:20 Pm

Ubisoft - 10:40 pm

Sony - 1:20 am

It's sony's conference that I wanted to see the most... going to have to wait until tomorrow now I guess.

R-DONO
R-DONO
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 7195
Posting Flair : 490

PostR-DONO Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Anybody have a linky-link to a video of last nights Sony section?
R-DONO
R-DONO
Captain of Country
Captain of Country

PostR-DONO Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:48 pm

Scrap that, I've seen it now. The only thing that I'm jealous about the Xbox is Ryse. Looks like some cracking titles set for release though.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:16 pm

I'm with you Red - after watching the Sony conference, they didn't do enough to ultimately convince me...the whole DRM thing doesn't really bother me, neither does the checking in online being mandatory. Way too many FPS for my taste too. The only game I think PS has that looks epic is Killzone.

£70 difference is not that much different between the two.
DrewBlue
DrewBlue
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
User Points : 912
Posting Flair : 70

PostDrewBlue Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:32 pm

you're both mad! the sony conference was brilliant, completely developer led, by gamers for gamers. the stuff with the indie developers was fantastic and the way they are marketing them as well as smaller third party developers and their own world houses is brilliant. the games all looked great to me, and there are too many fps on the market full stop in my eyes.

it was always going to be a black box, consoles have always been black boxes, ps4 looks sexy as hell tho.

and it's not really a £70 difference when you factor in that you will have to buy xbox live, and pay for an internet connection to play, and you won't be able to buy cheaper pre owned games the price skyrockets.

sony has won this battle again in my eyes by being simple, effective, all about the customer and most importantly all about games.

and i disagree that developers will always choose xbox because they will make more money. when so many people jump ship the ps4 they will have a bigger customer base to sell to so it's a redundant point
R-DONO
R-DONO
Captain of Country
Captain of Country

PostR-DONO Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:48 pm

DrewBlue wrote:and it's not really a £70 difference when you factor in that you will have to buy xbox live, and pay for an internet connection to play, and you won't be able to buy cheaper pre owned games the price skyrockets.

I'd happily pay £400 for the PS4, this bit is a bit redundant though as on the PS4 you'll have to buy PlayStation Plus to play online.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm

R-DONO wrote:
DrewBlue wrote:and it's not really a £70 difference when you factor in that you will have to buy xbox live, and pay for an internet connection to play, and you won't be able to buy cheaper pre owned games the price skyrockets.

I'd happily pay £400 for the PS4, this bit is a bit redundant though as on the PS4 you'll have to buy PlayStation Plus to play online.

I can live without online gameplay to be honest - it's a licence to get a veritable ass-whooping from kids and teenagers.

The xBox DRM thing is a huge turn off for me as I only buy second hand games. £45 for a brand new game is not justifiable under any circumstances in my book. If prices come down then fair enough but as Microsoft know people are willing to pay that then I doubt they would.

Logging in every day? Is this serious? I don't spend every day with my girlfriend why the FUCH would I want to spend it with a console? What about people who actually have to WORK for a living? Or even go on holiday? If this is true, it is utterly, utterly ridiculous and gets an extra large veto in my book.

I didn't catch any of the conference but does the PS4 still have an in built Blu-Ray player? I assume it would. Does xBox have anything similar?
bobbysauce
bobbysauce
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
User Points : 440
Posting Flair : 90

Postbobbysauce Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:56 am

So the PS4 is cheaper, more powerful, you can sell/share/trade games however you like, is region free, doesn't require a creepy camera to function and you don't have to 'authenticate' every day.

Microsoft can sod off!

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:30 am

Actually, this whole 'you can't play pre owned games' thing is misleading and being spread by Sony fans.

They don't limit access to used games, that's up to the developers. If they wanted to, they could do the exact same on the PS4. You know how EA have 'online passes' now, and if you get te game prepared you have to pay for a new one? There's nothing, absolutely nothing, stopping them from doing that with a full game.

Microsoft are also offering something that Sony aren't - FREE preowned games. You have access to a game library you can share with up to 12 friends. Likewise, if a friend has a game you want to play, as long as he/she gives you access to the shares library you can play it whenever you like. Again, it's up to the publisher whether they will allow this fiction, but Microsoft games like Halo will be fully functional with this.

And regarding the 'Xbox charge to go online', this is gracefully ignoring the fact that Sony have announced a paid functionality as well. And 40 pounds a year is a pretty decent price as opposed to Sony who have been involved in more hacking attacks and loss of payment than you could ever count.
DrewBlue
DrewBlue
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

PostDrewBlue Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:47 am

r-dono, you don't have to have playstation plus, it's an added feature but not mandatory.

haha that's true arkay i also rarely play online for that exact reason. i too am the same the only game i buy new is fifa cos i love it so. but then i am a skinflint...

and it's not every day you have to check in i think it's monthly but even still

yeh red but even ea have removed the online pass feature i was reading today. and that's from ea! the difference is on xbox it's mandatory
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:52 am

DrewBlue wrote:r-dono, you don't have to have playstation plus, it's an added feature but not mandatory.

haha that's true arkay i also rarely play online for that exact reason. i too am the same the only game i buy new is fifa cos i love it so. but then i am a skinflint...

yeh red but even ea have removed the online pass feature i was reading today. and that's from ea! the difference is on xbox it's mandatory

With any luck, EA will have learned from the total debacle that was Sim City.

Once a month does make more sense, although it still does pose a problem for those who don't have an internet connection (not so common in this day an age, I guess, but even so) or if anybody has experienced THE HORROR of trying to get reconnected after moving house Shocked
DrewBlue
DrewBlue
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

PostDrewBlue Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:00 am

i think they have a bit but i doubt they will ever stop charging for downloadable content which for many is an even bigger bugbear. you can spend hours creating a team on creation centre only to find out you have to pay £2 to be able to use it in a career mode, silly.

haha i've only done that once and it was fine for me but a friend of mine is on her fourth complaint and has just had the response: "we suggest you seek alternative methods of broadband". crazy
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:03 am

DrewBlue wrote:i think they have a bit but i doubt they will ever stop charging for downloadable content which for many is an even bigger bugbear. you can spend hours creating a team on creation centre only to find out you have to pay £2 to be able to use it in a career mode, silly.

haha i've only done that once and it was fine for me but a friend of mine is on her fourth complaint and has just had the response: "we suggest you seek alternative methods of broadband". crazy

Even the least troublesome transfer I've ever done took three weeks to sort out. Seems ridiculous how dependent we are on the internet and mobiles now.
R-DONO
R-DONO
Captain of Country
Captain of Country

PostR-DONO Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:20 am

DrewBlue wrote:r-dono, you don't have to have playstation plus, it's an added feature but not mandatory

It will be on the PS4 if you want to play any game online.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:21 am

DrewBlue wrote:r-dono, you don't have to have playstation plus, it's an added feature but not mandatory.

But that's the point, it isn't mandatory. As long as the developer says it is okay, there will be no pre owned fee for their games and they can be shared in the cloud to your hearts content.
DrewBlue
DrewBlue
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

PostDrewBlue Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:26 am

ah i had to wait a month and a half but didn't mind cos i only arranged it a few days before i moved house so assumed it was my fault.

it really does, i couldn't envisage a life without access to all the things i love instantly. i think i would be a broken man
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum