Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:19 pm

What did everyone think of his performance yesterday? He came on 55mins and, for me, was a lot more effective than Helgusson.

He was very effective and in my mind should be pushing for a starting place now.
Welshineire
Welshineire
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1168
Posting Flair : 100

PostWelshineire Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:31 pm

I only saw the highlights, and yes he had a few opportunities. He is a handful but I'm not sure he makes the most of his physical attributes. I was happy that MM stuck with him and has given him opportunities, but he doesn't have the confidence to start with him, so what does that say?
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:32 pm

I didn't hear the commentary as I was fecking sopping wet in town... However a quick chat with a mate gave me the impression that the lad was a continental weapons grade wazzock.. Second hand thoughts though
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:59 pm

It wasnt the right game to rate him on. We were being battered for the vast majority of the ninety minutes, with the victory solely down to one moment of brilliance from Conway and Bellamy but then an awesome defensive display (who's of expected that a few months back?).

Why he seemed impressive, he'd need more chances than what our attack got yesterday to truly see whether he'd be a liability or not. I'm still unsure he's up to our standard however if I'm honest.
Kamuza
Kamuza
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 4084
Posting Flair : 832

PostKamuza Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:08 am

I think time has run our for Rudy. He just doesn't put his chances away and in January (I blinking well hope) we'll bring in another forward which will push him further back. He could still be a late game high ball weapon but he might not even make the bench.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:02 am

I thought he looked good yesterday. He certainly caused more problems for Wes Morgan than Helguson did, but it is so difficult to impress as a bit player.

Palace have got one CH suspended after yesterday and probably Gabbidon coming in to replace him. I'd like to see Rudy get a start in that game, but, as discussed elsewhere, Bellamy & Mason could be a partnership made in heaven waiting to happen.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:16 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:I thought he looked good yesterday. He certainly caused more problems for Wes Morgan than Helguson did, but it is so difficult to impress as a bit player.

Palace have got one CH suspended after yesterday and probably Gabbidon coming in to replace him. I'd like to see Rudy get a start in that game, but, as discussed elsewhere, Bellamy & Mason could be a partnership made in heaven waiting to happen.

Rudy Gestede  3874419067

Think of the movement - the movement for heavens sake!
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:43 am

Got to remember it was his job to help defend set-pieces, slow play down, hold the ball up, bring others into the game, etc. He done that brilliantly.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:46 am

Much praise was heaped on his defensive role yesterday. Given the context of the match, quite important really.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:28 pm

January we will definitely strengthen. Rudy looks like a Championship target man to me so not quite good enough and Heidar's performances are dropping as he is getting overplayed so I expect Malky Coleman will probably sign a good striker which will massively limit Rudy's gametime
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Arkay v2.0 wrote:Much praise was heaped on his defensive role yesterday. Given the context of the match, quite important really.

We're rating our strikers on defensive capabilities now? Sure I'm not going to turn down a good striker who is also of use defending a free kick, but that is just icing on the cake. What decides whether a striker is good or bad HAS to be their activity in the opponents half. Maybe not nessecerily goals, assists are just as important and he'd also have a potent role as a holder up of play following a long ball. You don't go out looking for a centreback who is brilliant in attack but just cowers in the corner when a striker runs at them, do you?
Welshineire
Welshineire
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1168
Posting Flair : 100

PostWelshineire Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:04 pm

Rudy Gestede  3874419067 Agree. He has to meet his primary role first. Anything else is a bonus. I said this before, he can be a handful, but so can my wife and she ain't got a phone call yet.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:49 pm

I don't think arkay is referring to a literal defensive performance, whereby he mucked in at the back, but rather the 'defensive forward' role ( or deep lying striker:support - in Football Manager terminology). It appears Malky instructed in him, for the most part, to slow the game down and hold things up in the final third, thus the team not having to play deep to see the game out.

I thought he did this superbly and the times he was attacking, or helping Bellamy attack rather, he looked to me to be dangerous and as originally stated, more effective than Helgusson.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum