View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 22790
Posting Flair : 760

PostTans Tache Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:38 pm

So Warnock says he's a bit thin on the ground when it comes to the squad.. down to injuries and so fourth so I would have thought that we may see one or 2 more additions by end of august.. if not before

Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:26 pm

I think he's already said that he's not looking for any more :/

Last edited by Rhys on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend

PostTans Tache Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:08 pm

A latest article says he may have to look into the market once one or two leave
Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend

PostTans Tache Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:09 pm

Neil Warnock:"We are a little thin in some areas"

Neil Warnock: "I thought we were a little bit thin again on the bench against Livingston."

"When Gunnarsson went down, we didn't have options on the bench really other than Greg Halford who was playing right-back at the time."

"We're just a little bit short on cover in that area so we'll have to look into that."

The Bluebirds struggled with injuries at times last season, forcing Warnock into naming fewer than the usual contingent of seven substitutes on the bench on more than one occasion.

It was something he was eager to address, and the Yorkshireman wasted no time in bolstering his squad, adding no fewer than seven players to his ranks ahead of the 2017-18 campaign, but still Warnock feels he is a bit thin.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:14 pm

Well, it is and it isn't!  Minor knocks make it seem so.

We have plenty of goal keepers, full backs, centre backs, wingers and forwards.  The flexibility of players like Connolly, Halford, Peltier is a bonus.

Our midfield is supplemented by four decent wingers, with Gunnarsson, Ralls and Damour to cover the centre.  Nevertheless, there may be wisdom in hanging onto O'Keefe.

More additions and we are in danger of assembling an Ole-type squad, where some players will not see much game time.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:12 pm

TDA wrote:Well, it is and it isn't!  Minor knocks make it seem so.

We have plenty of goal keepers, full backs, centre backs, wingers and forwards.  The flexibility of players like Connolly, Halford, Peltier is a bonus.

Our midfield is supplemented by four decent wingers, with Gunnarsson, Ralls and Damour to cover the centre.  Nevertheless, there may be wisdom in hanging onto O'Keefe.

More additions and we are in danger of assembling an Ole-type squad, where some players will not see much game time.

Yes, this. If there really is a concern perhaps a few short term dips into the loan market might provide some cover or - god forbid - we start using some of the youth team players.
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:38 am

It's often said that strong squads win titles and what not, but I can think of more examples where sticking with the same XI worked more so than tinkering. The last two Prem title winners both stuck almost exclusively with the same group all season long - admittedly over fewer games than the Champ - and I'm pretty sure our own squad from 2012-13 was very small.

Guess the point here is that bigger is not always better City Squad a bit Thin on the ground? 2925389657
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:20 am

*** G L O V E S *** wrote:It's often said that strong squads win titles and what not, but I can think of more examples where sticking with the same XI worked more so than tinkering. The last two Prem title winners both stuck almost exclusively with the same group all season long - admittedly over fewer games than the Champ - and I'm pretty sure our own squad from 2012-13 was very small.

Guess the point here is that bigger is not always better City Squad a bit Thin on the ground? 2925389657

I suppose it's how long it lasts is the most impo(r)tant : City Squad a bit Thin on the ground? 534202034
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:11 pm

Warnock obviously doesn't rate O'Keefe for some reason despite the fact that he looked a decent player when he had a run in the side a year or so ago. Of the players rumoured to be on their way out, he's the only centre midfield and could be useful.
He was with Warnock at Palace so it's not as if he doesn't know what he can do - perhaps he's too big an earner to have as a back up.
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:22 pm

Update - just seen on Twitter that O'Keefe has joined Portsmouth on loan!
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:30 pm

It could well be that the apparent decision to hold onto Pilkington, who must be on decent wages, is going to influence other departures. I'm guessing that we will still be paying some of O'Keefe's wages, so, again, hardly an ideal solution. I can see Noone & John having their contracts paid up at the end of the month.
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Does seem strange to be loaning him out, especially to a club in League One. Again, though, Warnock surely knows what he is doing so I'll let him get on with it.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:14 pm

With just one injury to either Gunnarson or Ralls and the situation is not that great - what options would we have from the bench in that scenario?

I guess one of the youngsters as Arkay says, but not ideal when he had a more experienced backup in OKeefe
Cleve van Leef
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 6741
Posting Flair : 180

PostCleve van Leef Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:46 pm

Rhys wrote:With just one injury to either Gunnarson or Ralls and the situation is not that great - what options would we have from the bench in that scenario?

I guess one of the youngsters as Arkay says, but not ideal when he had a more experienced backup in OKeefe

Chanson and Halford plus Bamba can play in midfield.

We are well set up for a mid table finish, nothing else. FAct.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:33 pm

As much as I am enjoying the new flavour of optimism around the club I do tend to agree with Cleve that people might be getting a little carried away with preseason. I think we will be looking at a top half finish and a push for playoffs at best but, in truth, I'm more than happy with that and that the club appears to be building solid foundations in what is a notoriously difficult league to get out of (how many attempts did it take us last time?). Anything but a relegation dog fight is good for me.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum