G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 5923
Posting Flair : 460

PostG-ster Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:44 pm

Logic suggests Spain will win this one.

I hope and pray Spain play a genuine striker rather than the overly pragmatic 4-6 formation.

Portugal have a chance, but despite having quality players in Ronaldo and Nani, they lack a convincing central striker - Almeida looked very ordinary when he replaced the injured Postiga v. the Czechs. It suits them to have a positive mind-set rather than trying to contain, since despite losing to Germany 1-0 they had a number of chances towards the end.

Portugal won the last encounter between the teams 4-0 in 2010, when Ronaldo was denied one of the all-time great goals after a solo run past several players ended with Nani trying to poach his chipped effort on the goal line and being called offside. Little kent.
glasgowronnie
glasgowronnie
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 3965
Posting Flair : 220

Postglasgowronnie Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:21 pm

got a feeling this will end 1-0 to portugal. i think its going to be a very tight game
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:47 pm

glasgowronnie wrote:got a feeling this will end 1-0 to portugal. i think its going to be a very tight game

I agree - Portugal could sneak home here. Having the world's no.2 player could just be the difference. Or is he relegated to no.3 now? Somewhere in the top 99, anyway.....
glasgowronnie
glasgowronnie
Captain of Country
Captain of Country

Postglasgowronnie Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:29 am

not sure is he 2 or 3 Spain v. Portugal 3210875682
michaelccfc88
michaelccfc88
Squad Player
Squad Player
User Points : 166
Posting Flair : 20

Postmichaelccfc88 Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:39 am

I think it depends on how well Ronaldo plays, if Spain shackle him they will win. This is Ronaldo's chance to really press Messi for the title of the greatest as Messi hasn't done anything of note with Argentina.
Colonel Cardiffi
Colonel Cardiffi
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 10721
Posting Flair : 1193
https://social-media-posting.com

PostColonel Cardiffi Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:00 am

I just want to see a good game. Some of these Euro matches have been right snoozefests.

BigREDbird
BigREDbird
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 2711
Posting Flair : 80

PostBigREDbird Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:05 am

It's going to be a game of two halves!

Who ever scores most will probably go on to win the game!

I'm no Andy Gray am I? Spain v. Portugal 2854552383
Albany Blue
Albany Blue
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 1075
Posting Flair : 130

PostAlbany Blue Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:06 am

michaelccfc88 wrote:I think it depends on how well Ronaldo plays, if Spain shackle him they will win. This is Ronaldo's chance to really press Messi for the title of the greatest as Messi hasn't done anything of note with Argentina.

Scored a hat trick the other week for Argentina in a 4-3 win over Brazil. World Cup 2014 will be his time to shine on the big stage.

As for tonight I fancy Portugal unless Spain start with Llorente up front as he can give them different ideas as he his great with his feet and can certainly find the back of the net better than Torres, but he is also good in the air and adds some physicality to the team which I feel they may need. Portugal on the counter attack will be dangerous and I think Ronaldo is going to be really up for this, and I also believe he could well be the difference between the sides.
michaelccfc88
michaelccfc88
Squad Player
Squad Player

Postmichaelccfc88 Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:12 am

Roath Redbird wrote:
michaelccfc88 wrote:I think it depends on how well Ronaldo plays, if Spain shackle him they will win. This is Ronaldo's chance to really press Messi for the title of the greatest as Messi hasn't done anything of note with Argentina.

Scored a hat trick the other week for Argentina in a 4-3 win over Brazil. World Cup 2014 will be his time to shine on the big stage.

As for tonight I fancy Portugal unless Spain start with Llorente up front as he can give them different ideas as he his great with his feet and can certainly find the back of the net better than Torres, but he is also good in the air and adds some physicality to the team which I feel they may need. Portugal on the counter attack will be dangerous and I think Ronaldo is going to be really up for this, and I also believe he could well be the difference between the sides.

Oh I know that but of note meant challenging for major matches not one-off games against Brazils U23 squad :)

I definitely think Spain need a striker, I don't find Spain's football particularly exciting anyway but without a striker it is mindlessly boring. I am amazed they haven't used Llorente yet!!
Matty P
Matty P
Squad Player
Squad Player
User Points : 123
Posting Flair : 40

PostMatty P Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:16 am

Spain will most probably play a fairly boring possession game, hopefully they do start with a striker for a bit of entertainment.

Definitely not part of the Spain love in.

Think a Germany Portugal final would have a lot of goals in it (for Germany mostly I would think) and be the most entertaining.
Albany Blue
Albany Blue
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 1075
Posting Flair : 130

PostAlbany Blue Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:23 am

That's a very fair point but has got a good record at the moment with Argentina. 13 goals in 16 games I think, but granted I don't know who the opposition were. I hope he wins the 2014 WC just to silence people who don't believe he's the best.

I used to love watching Spain but now with no striker they seriously lack any penetration and it is endlessly boring to watch. As for Llorente, after the season he has had, it is mind blowing to see him not playing.
michaelccfc88
michaelccfc88
Squad Player
Squad Player

Postmichaelccfc88 Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:48 am

Roath Redbird wrote:That's a very fair point but has got a good record at the moment with Argentina. 13 goals in 16 games I think, but granted I don't know who the opposition were. I hope he wins the 2014 WC just to silence people who don't believe he's the best.

I used to love watching Spain but now with no striker they seriously lack any penetration and it is endlessly boring to watch. As for Llorente, after the season he has had, it is mind blowing to see him not playing.

Yeah, I love seeing the top players perform at the highest level. it's what makes the cl, euros and world cup great! Messi is definitely the best but Ronaldo is pretty close I think :)

Totally agree about Spain! I hope Portugal beat them tonight but if they don't I won't mind too much since I'm in Spain for the final and it would be cool to be there for that! Definitely! I'm a big Torres fan but Llorente deserves a chance to stake a claim for the shirt when they do opt for a striker.
Dr_Socks
Dr_Socks
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 989
Posting Flair : 110

PostDr_Socks Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:39 am

Really great game btw, very open.
glasgowronnie
glasgowronnie
Captain of Country
Captain of Country

Postglasgowronnie Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:13 am

still think its only going to be just the one goal in this game
glasgowronnie
glasgowronnie
Captain of Country
Captain of Country

Postglasgowronnie Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:28 am

seem to of jinxed it now 0-0 written all over it. possibly pens too
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum