Referees to issue orange cards in the future?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Fifa presidential candidate Jerome Champagne outlined his plans for football in the future if he was elected as FIFA president in the next term, and he has some nice ideas, one in particular adding an interesting bit of controversy.

- Only the club captain will be allowed to address the referee to dispute a decision (Good idea, full stop)

- A referee can punish dissent by moving a free kick forward (Or back I suppose) ten yards. (An old rule, but one that should come back)

-The orange card is instroduced. It would be issued when a player has already been booked but commits another foul that the referee deems doesnt justify a red. It sin bins the player for an undetermined amount of time, but maybe 3-4 minutes.

The card idea is interesting, I think a sinbin idea should of been introduced a long time ago. Im twisted on the idea of a whole new card though - On one side I agree referees are sometimes reluctant to show red and spoil a match, and therefore a third card is a good idea. But on the other side, it's confusing things - Why dont you just allow the yellow card to sinbin a player, and then players would stop considering a yellow card such a get out of jail free card?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25811977
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 5923
Posting Flair : 460

PostG-ster Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:24 pm

I agree with all those proposals.
The yellow card situation has become ridiculous recently; almost every foul attracts a yellow card these days. A higher grade punishment for cynical 'professional' foul-play would be a good idea = 10 minutes in the sin-bin.

Resolving the 'wrestling' at corners/free-kicks needs to be added to that list.

A more revolutionary idea would be to eliminate one of the most contentious areas of the game - the offside rule.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:33 pm

G-ster wrote:I agree with all those proposals.
The yellow card situation has become ridiculous recently; almost every foul attracts a yellow card these days. A higher grade punishment for cynical 'professional' foul-play would be a good idea = 10 minutes in the sin-bin.

Resolving the 'wrestling' at corners/free-kicks needs to be added to that list.

A more revolutionary idea would be to eliminate one of the most contentious areas of the game - the offside rule.

Interesting G-ster - but how would that work? Surely Campbell could just hover around the box the whole time and wait for a long punt up the pitch - or effectively that would take the defenders out of any offensive football due to fear of being caught out. It would certainly and drastically change the game entirely - I'm not sure for the better personally.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:38 am

I like all these ideas.

I favour reverting back to the old offside rule without having to worry about "interfering with play". If you're in an offside position when the ball is kicked forward - you're offside. End of.
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:25 am

care has to be taken to ensure that the dissent is not agravated by the opposition. would use a spell in the sin bin and the bin to be used instead of an orange card as i think another level of deterrent is needed
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:04 pm

I'm in favour of offside, I think it maintains the ethos that you have to outplay the opposition, not just hoof balls up the pitch to an offside player and hope he gets lucky. We all hated that guy in the playground who would stand on the penalty box and scream for the ball all match long - why would you want that in the professional game?

The frustrations with offside is when it's badly officiated. We have the technology to fix it, there's no reason hawkeye can't track it and the linesmen get flashing watches that tell them when a player is offside, just like the goal line technology.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:05 pm

Can't edit - but it would also cut other mistakes out as well. If the linesman can trust the watch to tell him if a player was offside, he can focus on other things - shirt pulling, diving etc.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum