View previous topic View next topic Go down

TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:36 am

Good BBC article/interview with Gary Johnson about the difficulties facing the smaller clubs in the Championship.  I mentioned a couple of Fridays ago that Doncaster v Yeovil was one of the worst (televised) Championship matches I had ever seen.

With hindsight, I think it only fair to take into account what is said in the article, in that only 6 teams presently in the Championship have never been in the Premier League and therefore not benefited from budgets inflated by parachute payments.

This highlights how incredibly difficult it is for teams coming up through the divisions to make any sort of impact without external investment.....

......and it occurs to me that, even if City had been on a stable financial footing before Vincent Tan arrived, we would still have struggled to make any sort of headway without his considerable financial investment.

However this season pans out, I think we should that we should be mindful that we would have been very unlikely to have made it to the Premier League without Tan.

Long may it continue and, hopefully, we can all remain friends and united in our support for our club.  If not, then, at least we will have been given a chance, a chance which is looking to be increasingly unlikely or nigh impossible for the minnows of the division.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25365601
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:19 am

Money is slowly ruining the British game, and it'll be felt in the championship more than anywhere. The teams there were relegated from the premiership will have not only a stronger team than their championship opposition but also much greater financial backing, making them almost certain to come straight back up. Likewise any teams promoted to the championship as you have said will be be fighting a lost cause against teams with three or four times their financial power. We will get stuck in a loop where the teams relegated from the premiership will come straight back up next season, and those from league 1 will be relegated back down immediately.

It's already considered nigh on impossible to break the lockdown the top 6 in the premiership have, because their bank accounts are nigh on inexhaustible. If it gets so bad that even the teams at the top of the championship operate the same monopoly, then god knows what would happen. You might see a lot more teams 'selling their souls', as it's the only plausible way to survive.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:15 am

Are there parachute payments for teams relegated from the Championship?

If so, the knock on effect will be a gradual, overall improvement to league 1 in a similar way that the Championship has just got better and better over the years.

In the long run, the money is a great thing for British football imo.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:55 pm

Good question. I'm sure that Red will let us know later...... Yeovil and the Championship 1525230823 
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:19 pm

TDA wrote:Good question.  I'm sure that Red will let us know later...... Yeovil and the Championship 1525230823 

Was that a bitchy remark? Yeovil and the Championship 692773407

I stuck 'league 1 parachute payments' into Google and it returned this article. Apparently in the 06/07 season clubs relegated to league 1 were given a one off 120,000 parachute payment, I couldn't find out if the number has grown since. 22 million in parachute payments from the premiership and 120,000 from the championship, you can see how a gulf would be growing.

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/40-Business-&-finance/472-a-drop-of-comfort
Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 22790
Posting Flair : 760

PostTans Tache Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Yeovil and the Championship 1525230823 Cheers Red, I can sleep better now I know that, Yeovil and the Championship 692773407
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Red614 wrote:
TDA wrote:Good question.  I'm sure that Red will let us know later...... Yeovil and the Championship 1525230823 

Was that a bitchy remark? Yeovil and the Championship 692773407

I stuck 'league 1 parachute payments' into Google and it returned this article. Apparently in the 06/07 season clubs relegated to league 1 were given a one off 120,000 parachute payment, I couldn't find out if the number has grown since. 22 million in parachute payments from the premiership and 120,000 from the championship, you can see how a gulf would be growing.

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/40-Business-&-finance/472-a-drop-of-comfort

Not at all, my friend.......you are the man with access to all sorts of relevant info for which most of us wouldn't know where to look!
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum