View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:41 pm

I'm sure you were all watching City in 1960 along with me but I thought it might be interesting to dredge up a few other things about that season.
This was of course the last time we were promoted to the old First Division (in those days it was Divisions 1,2,3, & 4 - whoever dreamed that up?!).
Promotion was clinched three matches from the end of the season with a 1-0 win over Aston Villa with a goal from Graham Moore in front of a crowd of over 50,00. This took City above Villa into top spot with three games to go and looking certainties for the title before losing 1-0 at home to relegation threatened Plymouth three days later. They then failed to win their last two games, drawing with Sunderland and Bristol Rovers, and were pipped to the title by one point to Villa. End of season fade out obviously goes back a long way! Eight points behind in third place were Liverpool. Top scorers for City were Derek Tapscott 22, Joe Bonson 19, Graham Moore and Johnny Watkins 16 - we haven't always been short of goalscorers!
To show how things have changed, the First Division winners were Burnley with Wolves runners up. Preston were also in the top division along with a number of current championship teams. Bottom of the table were Luton.
Swansea Town were in the second division (glad they're not around anymore - don't like the sound of them) and Hull were relegated.
Promoted from the third division were Southampton and Norwich. QPR were mid table along with Newport County but Wrexham were relegated- although they beat City 1-0 in the Welsh Cup Final. Nothing much of note in the Division 4 other than an 8th place finish for Crystal Palace. Relegated from the League were Gateshead and in their place came Peterborough for their league debut.
As I said earlier, Hull were relegated from Division 2 but an interesting stat/omen is that bottom of the table in this, City's promotion year were.......Bristol City.
Full details on - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1959%E2%80%9360_Football_League#Final_league_tables
Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 22790
Posting Flair : 760

PostTans Tache Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Cracking read! 1959/60 - Some Recollections 1525230823
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:22 pm

Sat here with my Dad and he was at the Villa game... He can't remember where he's put his coat but remembers that game clear as day....
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:10 am

One interesting post and one amusing post...flair for all 1959/60 - Some Recollections 1525230823
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum