As a fan paying them, do you feel you have the right to complain about a players wages?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

R-DONO
R-DONO
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 7195
Posting Flair : 490

PostR-DONO Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:53 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21998297

After a shocking display against Fulham, Chris Samba has been receiving angry tweets about his reported £100,000 a week. In reply, he's told them to "get over it".

In my mind the fans have every right to complain about it. The club are as much to blame as the player for handing out ridiculous wages in the first place, but surely a player receiving this kind of money has to accept that he's constantly going to be under scrutiny, especially as QPR are in the position that they are.
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Complain to the club, not the player.
R-DONO
R-DONO
Captain of Country
Captain of Country

PostR-DONO Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:02 pm

The Tonker wrote:Complain to the club, not the player.

Agreed, but with players being on Twitter these days they open themselves up to a slating from fans, especially when a club potentially facing relegation are dishing out £100,000 wages, who can sit in their armchairs and vent it in 147 characters or less.
Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 22790
Posting Flair : 760

PostTans Tache Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:31 pm

footballers dont give a s**t no more, 90% of them r happy to sit on arse, bettin on horses (michael owen for example) giving half hearted s**t performances,
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:14 am

R-DONO wrote:
The Tonker wrote:Complain to the club, not the player.

Agreed, but with players being on Twitter these days they open themselves up to a slating from fans, especially when a club potentially facing relegation are dishing out £100,000 wages, who can sit in their armchairs and vent it in 147 characters or less.
I still say fans would do better to complain to the club - attacking the player on Twitter can only do more harm than good, certainly not likely to get the player performing better.

Players going on Twitter is an accident waiting to happen. Some handle it better than others, but clubs ought to monitor this more closely than they do (or appear to do, at least). Player's agents should be required to do something to earn their fee and act as a Twitter filter to screen out abusive incoming messages.

I'd also like to see Twitter banned, but that's just a personal view!
As a fan paying them, do you feel you have the right to complain about a players wages? 904430666
thewelshfella
thewelshfella
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7013
Posting Flair : 200

Postthewelshfella Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:43 am

I dont think we should have any say tbh,We are just customers at the end of the day.

My missus loves going to tescos and in a way she supports the running of that shop by spending money there but that doesnt mean she can tell them how much to pay there staff. As a fan paying them, do you feel you have the right to complain about a players wages? 692773407
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:57 am

I think that was a pay cut for Samba compared to what he was earning in Russia...ridiculous money.

I'm just trying to think of a Cardiff equivalent, I can't Anyone else able too?
NN2Red2
NN2Red2
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1617
Posting Flair : 80

PostNN2Red2 Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:42 am

thewelshfella wrote:I dont think we should have any say tbh,We are just customers at the end of the day.

My missus loves going to tescos and in a way she supports the running of that shop by spending money there but that doesnt mean she can tell them how much to pay there staff. As a fan paying them, do you feel you have the right to complain about a players wages? 692773407

I think this is right - we are just customers at the end of the day irrespective of how much more personal investment we wish to make in a club. It's harsh on some, but if you don't like what's happening at your club, just don't go for a while. It's that collective attitude that has kept German ticket prices low in the Bundeslegia, whilst the top German Clubs have kept reasonably competitive in the Chumps League.
SteWells
SteWells
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 1655
Posting Flair : 100

PostSteWells Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:04 am

No I don't think we do. I hate this whole 'we pay the wages' argument. No we don't. We pay to go and see games, and the club pays the wages.

If you think that you pay the wages, then why not take it further? It's not actually you paying the wages, since you got that money from whatever company you work for, so they pay the wages really. It's just a really stupid argument.
R-DONO
R-DONO
Captain of Country
Captain of Country

PostR-DONO Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:28 am

SteWells wrote:No I don't think we do. I hate this whole 'we pay the wages' argument. No we don't. We pay to go and see games, and the club pays the wages.

If you think that you pay the wages, then why not take it further? It's not actually you paying the wages, since you got that money from whatever company you work for, so they pay the wages really. It's just a really stupid argument.

So you wouldn't agree that, in nearly every case, fan-base size is directionally proportional to players wages?
SteWells
SteWells
Team Captain
Team Captain

PostSteWells Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:08 am

R-DONO wrote:
SteWells wrote:No I don't think we do. I hate this whole 'we pay the wages' argument. No we don't. We pay to go and see games, and the club pays the wages.

So you wouldn't agree that, in nearly every case, fan-base size is directionally proportional to players wages?

I would agree with that.
R-DONO
R-DONO
Captain of Country
Captain of Country

PostR-DONO Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:15 am

SteWells wrote:
R-DONO wrote:

I would agree with that.

Then as fans we must be paying some proportion of that wage. I'm not going to say that you should be able to demand that your team should pay somebody less, or even that it's right to 'abuse' a player, as such, for being overpaid.
But if a player is going to open themselves up to unmonitored fan interaction, Twitter, then they're going to get such abuse from a small-minded minority.
SteWells
SteWells
Team Captain
Team Captain

PostSteWells Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:20 am

Some of the money we give the club will be spent on wages, yes, obviously. But I don't think that means we can say we pay the players wages. As I said before, how far do you take it? You got the money from someone else, so is it them who pay the wages?
If you go and spend your money on drugs, has your boss just given money to a drug dealer?

It's a stupid argument. We don't give money to the club so that they can pay the players. We pay to be entertained, to see the match. What happens to the money after that is totally up to the club, and nothing to do with us.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:50 am

I think this is a good example of what football fans expect, when really they have no right to do so. In someways, this reflects the whole change to red situation.

We do not have a financial stake in the club, we only buy its product. If we don't feel we are getting value for money then we go elsewhere......at the end of the day there are plenty of customers (fans) who couldn't give a monkeys about what happens behind the scenes....
R-DONO
R-DONO
Captain of Country
Captain of Country

PostR-DONO Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:54 am

So you go to a restaurant and you don't feel the quality of food matches the price. Surely you complain to the chef? Same instance here no.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum