View previous topic View next topic Go down

davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:34 am

without allowing this thread to degenerate into one of tits, rock music, or stupid jokes can we have a sensible discussion as to the best team available against derby.

i have started this because i hold the view that there are better players available in the squad than what was turned out today.

marshall - though am begining to question his infalability

connolly, hudson or nugent, turner and taylor if fit or lappin or the accademy lad. if the stories of money available are to believed why did we not buy a decent defender.

kimbo, whitts? time for a change, mutch and smith. sorry gunarrson but you aint up to scratch

mason or bellamy? and campbell
Kamuza
Kamuza
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 4084
Posting Flair : 832

PostKamuza Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:00 am

The worrying thing is, we haven't put our fringe players in a position to challenge. Mutch has vanished from consideration, Kimbo hasn't been tried in central midfield and we haven't given 4-3-3 enough of a look. We need a right back, we don't have one so we'll have to rely on Nugent - who I think we can rely on.

I think Gunarsson is doing a decent job as the destructive midfielder and I'd like to pair him with Kimbo who can keep the ball alive much better and let Whitts get forward. Bellamy onto the flank where he has proven to be top class and Noone, who can look lightweight, but also makes things happen on the other side.

Marshall

Connolly-Nugent-Turner-Taylor

Gunns-Whitts-Kimbo

Noone-Campbell-Bellamy

Or if 4-4-2

Same back four

Kimbo - Gunns - Whitts - Bellamy

Campbell - Gestede

It would be interesting to see Rudy playing with a natural goal scorer and predator.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:04 am

Gunnarrson was the fans man of the match. Poor first half but was very impressive the second. Maybe you see him he way I see Conway? best team 692773407

My very best first team 11regardless of current form is -

Marshall
Connolly, Hudson, Turner, Taylor
Smith, Whitts, Gunnar, Noone
Bellamy, Campbell

Basically, I think Malky has the starting 11 at least pretty spot on. Kim is close on gunnar's tail if he slips though.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:19 am

Kamuza wrote:The worrying thing is, we haven't put our fringe players in a position to challenge. Mutch has vanished from consideration, Kimbo hasn't been tried in central midfield and we haven't given 4-3-3 enough of a look. We need a right back, we don't have one so we'll have to rely on Nugent - who I think we can rely on.

I think Gunarsson is doing a decent job as the destructive midfielder and I'd like to pair him with Kimbo who can keep the ball alive much better and let Whitts get forward. Bellamy onto the flank where he has proven to be top class and Noone, who can look lightweight, but also makes things happen on the other side.

Marshall

Connolly-Nugent-Turner-Taylor

Gunns-Whitts-Kimbo

Noone-Campbell-Bellamy

Or if 4-4-2

Same back four

Kimbo - Gunns - Whitts - Bellamy

Campbell - Gestede

It would be interesting to see Rudy playing with a natural goal scorer and predator.

best team 3874419067
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:36 am

I favoured the choice of McNaughton in and Connolly switched inside today as i thought the extra experience was what was needed at this point of the season. I don't think i would stick with that choice for the Derby game now. However we change it though the key is we are missing Hudson and that is a huge loss. So...

Marshall

Connolly - Turner - Nugent - Taylor

Kim - Gunnarsson - Whitts - Noone

Mason - Campbell

Subs: Lewis - McNaughton - Mutch - Conway - Smith - Bellamy - Gestede
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:42 am

I just think Mcnaughton is finished now and should be a complete reserve choice, only called upon if desperate
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostToast Boy Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:51 am

Slumdog's Son™️ wrote:I just think Mcnaughton is finished now and should be a complete reserve choice, only called upon if desperate

I almost went with Lappin on the bench instead but think McNaughton's ability to cover center half as well might, reluctantly, give him the nod. The other choice if Turner or Nugent got injured during the game would be Lappin playing right back so Connolly could move into the center or even pushing Gunnarsson back as an emergency full back again. (I don't really like to think about the prospect of any more defensive injuries before Hudson gets back pale )
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:13 am

Toast Boy wrote:
Slumdog's Son™️ wrote:I just think Mcnaughton is finished now and should be a complete reserve choice, only called upon if desperate

I almost went with Lappin on the bench instead but think McNaughton's ability to cover center half as well might, reluctantly, give him the nod. The other choice if Turner or Nugent got injured during the game would be Lappin playing right back so Connolly could move into the center or even pushing Gunnarsson back as an emergency full back again. (I don't really like to think about the prospect of any more defensive injuries before Hudson gets back pale )

best team 3874419067

Good shout
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 5923
Posting Flair : 460

PostG-ster Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:04 pm

Stick Cowie at right-back.
Bellamy on the wing since he ends up playing there anyway.
4-5-1 / 4-3-3 depending on attacking or defending.
Kimbo and Whittingham to support Campbell from midfield.

GK Marshall
LB Taylor
RB Cowie
CB Hudson/Connolly
CB Turner
LM Noone
RM Bellamy
CM Whittingham
CM Gunnarsson
CM Kimbo
ST Campbell

TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:28 pm

I think Cowie is too slow to play fullback, so my ideal formation for Derby would be...

Marshall

Connolly Turner Nugent Taylor

Conway Gunnarsson Whitts Kimbo

Noone

Campbell

Subs: Lewis, Lappin, Smith, Mason, Mutch, Cowie, Bellamy
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:50 pm

i know he scored yesterday, but have never been the biggest fan of gunnarsson. unsure, but i think we got him on a free and if reports are true spent £2m on a midfielder that is basically playing in the reserves. jordan mutch

at the start of the season mutch walked into the team and in my view justified his selection, he gets injured and we put ag in for keeps. is everybody else seeing something i am not.

Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostToast Boy Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:01 pm

I guess so. I like Gunnarsson. Without being outstanding at any one thing i think he gives that bit of added steel in central midfield and is usually decent on the ball. He gets up and down well and has discovered a knack this season for scoring goals. The one thing i did see is Mutch looking a shadow of the player he was before his injury when he has had a chance to play since. I know it can take some time to work your way back up to full speed but in my opinion although Mutch might have the greatest potential Gunnarsson is the better choice at the moment.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:17 am

Dave, I'm with Toast Boy on Gunnarsson. He does the unglamorous stuff very well and has the knack of being in the opposition box at the right time. We may have got him on a free, but Malky was in the right place at the right time.

Early season, Mutch probably did have the edge, but Gunnarsson was carrying a few too many kilos then. He has got himself back into shape and is our best box to box midfielder at present.

Mutch has tremendous potential, but has yet to show any sort of form after the foot injury. He could take a lesson from Conway, who has applied himself really well since recovering from a much worse injury and, clearly gives 100% every game.

I am concerned about Mutch's attitude and also, when in the side, his inability to hit the target...........his shooting is woeful! best team 2854552383
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum