View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:57 pm

It appears their inexplicable love affair with England is ending, dropping them down to a still far too high 5th place. Their hatred of Brazil continues however, leaving them 14th, inexplicably behind Greece and Croatia.

Top Eight -
1. Spain
2. Germany
3. Portugal
4. Argentina
5. England
6. Netherlands
7. Uruguay
8. Italy

Also of note - apparently making the Euro 2012 final isn't enough to be considered better than a team that got knocked out in the group stages with 0 points.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:11 pm

I always find the fifa rankings fascinating - they operate on a very complicated system that I looked up once a while ago

I can't remember too much about it other than following the next world cup, we should see the rankings start to make a little more sense.

Last edited by Rhys on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:46 pm

How did Coleman-era Wales fare? Are we international relegation fodder now?
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:54 pm

12 place drop, down to 57. Less said the better, really.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:02 pm

I fear it may get worse before it gets better Sad
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:16 am

Arkay v2.0 wrote:I fear it may get worse before it gets better Sad

Sadly, I don't think we will see a Welsh team qualify for a major tournament in out life time. Shame really.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:47 am

Especially as I'm planning on dying young Newest FIFA world rankings 4228682415
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:39 am

Rhys wrote:

Sadly, I don't think we will see a Welsh team qualify for a major tournament in out life time. Shame really.
Wales' qualification for the 1958 World Cup was very much by the back door method. They finished 2nd in their group of 3 behind Czechoslovakia, and only the top team in each group qualified. But the Africa/Asia qualifying group became a bit farcical - Israel were due to meet Turkey in Round 1, but Turkey withdrew after refusing to play in the Asia group. In the 2nd round, both Egypt and Indonesia both withdrew (the latter because their request to play Israel on neutral territory was refused). In the 3rd round, Sudan refused to play Israel for political reasons, so Israel finished winners without playing a game.

As FIFA rules said that only the holders and the hosts could qualify without playing a game, they set up a special play-off with one of the runners-up from the European groups. The first team drawn to play Israel was Belgium, but they refused (Israel were clearly popular back then!), so Wales were next out of the hat. Quite rightly not letting principles get in the way, Wales then won both legs 2-0 (Ivor Allchurch scored in each game).

So not exactly an outright qualification. I fear we'd need an equally convoluted and bizarre scenario for us to make it again!
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:09 am

Also worth noting that this was the only World Cup for which all four home nations qualified, but only Wales and Northern Ireland made it out of the groups, where Wales narrowly lost 1-0 to Brazil (scored by Pele). Our official tournament position was 6th. It brings a tear to the eye.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:23 am

I knew we'd got through via a play off but I didn't know that background - that's amazing (if a little fortuitous)! Great knowledge Tonker Toy - have some flair. As I understand it, we gave Brazil a good run for their money too. Newest FIFA world rankings 2294057153

I once got Wales to win the World Cup on an older version of Championship Manager (97/98, I think) by playing Ultra-defensive (11 men camped in the box in a Christmas tree formation) and playing for penalties. Worked a treat even against the top teams!
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:10 pm

The Tonker wrote:
Rhys wrote:

Wales' qualification for the 1958 World Cup was very much by the back door method. They finished 2nd in their group of 3 behind Czechoslovakia, and only the top team in each group qualified. But the Africa/Asia qualifying group became a bit farcical - Israel were due to meet Turkey in Round 1, but Turkey withdrew after refusing to play in the Asia group. In the 2nd round, both Egypt and Indonesia both withdrew (the latter because their request to play Israel on neutral territory was refused). In the 3rd round, Sudan refused to play Israel for political reasons, so Israel finished winners without playing a game.

As FIFA rules said that only the holders and the hosts could qualify without playing a game, they set up a special play-off with one of the runners-up from the European groups. The first team drawn to play Israel was Belgium, but they refused (Israel were clearly popular back then!), so Wales were next out of the hat. Quite rightly not letting principles get in the way, Wales then won both legs 2-0 (Ivor Allchurch scored in each game).

So not exactly an outright qualification. I fear we'd need an equally convoluted and bizarre scenario for us to make it again!

Didn't know that ^^
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum