View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Their manager, Keith Hill, is a massive fan of the football Spain is bringing to the world slowly. He's attempting to implement it in England, and has had the Barnsley squad play practice games in which kicking the ball above head height is a foul. This is to make players cope with pressure in close quarters with opposing players, something Spain pride themselves on.

Apparently, it's worked so well they will be applying the same ethic to their friendly against Rochdale, and are seriously considering using it in league conditions too.

Personally, I think we should consider giving this a try in practice too. Maybe not use it competitively, but the practice it would give at retaining the ball we would definetely benefit from.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:47 pm

I remember being forced to do a similar thing in school. It didn't quite have the same effect on a muddy, sloping bog of a pitch though.

I used to work near where Brighton used to train (about 8 years ago) and used to go watch them on my lunch hours. They regularly used to do a similar training exercise but where the ball wasn't allowed to touch the floor and you could only score with a header. I have to say they made it look easy as I know my volleyed/headed first touch would've sent the ball straight out of play.
Albany Blue
Albany Blue
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 1075
Posting Flair : 130

PostAlbany Blue Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:57 pm

I'd rather play like Spurs last season personally, control the game for a bit then suddenly hit them out of no where with a fast flowing move. As well as this Spurs were a great counter attacking side and far more enjoyable to watch than the likes of Spain IMO.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:00 pm

Roath Redbird wrote:I'd rather play like Spurs last season personally, control the game for a bit then suddenly hit them out of no where with a fast flowing move. As well as this Spurs were a great counter attacking side and far more enjoyable to watch than the likes of Spain IMO.

Anyone heard about Barnsley FC? 3874419067

I can definitely see the obvious benefits of retaining possession and having good ball control, especially when trying to kill the game, but if I had to choose a playing style for City then Spurs would be the preferred way. They've been the most entertaining side for the last 2 or 3 seasons if you ask me. Curious to see what happens now AVB is in charge too.
The Other Mr Bean
The Other Mr Bean
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
User Points : 469
Posting Flair : 20

PostThe Other Mr Bean Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:04 pm

Can't remember Spurs winning anything last year.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:07 pm

Ha! True, it's all hypothetical anyway but they were a great watch at least.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:14 pm

Woah, I never said anything about playing like Spain, I'd absolutely hate that.

My point was that it would raise our ability to hold the ball in tight situations, I think it's help our tight, through he middle play significantly. It's simply a case of encountering a defender and being confident you can dribble, or pass, around him. Spain would go backward in this scenario, I'd want to keep going forward.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:18 pm

To be fair I found Spain incredibly boring to watch at the Euros

It's the age old problem of what's more important - exciting vs simple point gathering.

Either the 'simple passing/keep possession at all costs/very patient and break sparingly' type of football to secure points or opting to play more an exciting brand of football that doesn't always guarantee success....(Barca vs Arsenal)

I may be wrong here, but not many seem to be able to do both?

For me, I would at this stage opt for the point gathering & potentially the more boring game to get us out of the championship.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:20 pm

Red614 wrote:Woah, I never said anything about playing like Spain, I'd absolutely hate that.

My point was that it would raise our ability to hold the ball in tight situations, I think it's help our tight, through he middle play significantly. It's simply a case of encountering a defender and being confident you can dribble, or pass, around him. Spain would go backward in this scenario, I'd want to keep going forward.

Anyone heard about Barnsley FC? 3874419067 Too many times last season I found myself getting frustrated when Turner,with no option, would just boot a long ball and hope for the best with Miller only winning a small percentage of the ball.

I too would like to see a better passing game
Judge dRed
Judge dRed
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 2500
Posting Flair : 186

PostJudge dRed Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:25 pm

Rhys wrote:For me, I would at this stage opt for the point gathering & potentially the more boring game to get us out of the championship.

A lot of people forget this is what the league is for.
Judge dRed
Judge dRed
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 2500
Posting Flair : 186

PostJudge dRed Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:26 pm

Judge dRed wrote:
Rhys wrote:For me, I would at this stage opt for the point gathering & potentially the more boring game to get us out of the championship.

A lot of people forget this is what the league is for.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum