Colonel Cardiffi
Colonel Cardiffi
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 10721
Posting Flair : 1193
https://social-media-posting.com

PostColonel Cardiffi Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:55 am

There was always something dodgy about that transfer.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:30 am

That figure includes wages over five seasons though, which is a nice way of making it more dramatic than it actually is.

Really time he moved on, to be honest, he just comes across bitter and childish. We don't know what would have happened if he stayed nor does it matter anymore.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:37 am

The end of the Malky era was so disappointing, as he had done so much for the club on and off the pitch. He was a fool to himself and will probably never have the career in football management he should have. I find it significant that Iain Moody has kept his head down in recent years.

Additionally, I have just watched the iFollow video on VT's day at City yesterday. Although he touched n the Cornelius transfer, he was very positive about NW and seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself with the supporters and whilst watching the game. It's a good biopic and worth a watch, if you can.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:22 am

I think Cornelius is a reasonable player but the fee was grossly inflated and he was too young for the move. He's in Serie A now which is a good standard although his last transfer fee was about £3million, which is probably more realistic.

I don't quite understand what went on because anyone knows that if you're a newly promoted club in need of a striker you don't spend £10million on a project player so why did Malky sign Cornelius then keep him under wraps and give him minimal game time? What was the logic in it? Did Cornelius turn up for training and have a mare? If that's the case what went on with Moody and Mackay's scouting of him?
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Tyrion Tannister wrote:That figure includes wages over five seasons though, which is a nice way of making it more dramatic than it actually is.

Really time he moved on, to be honest, he just comes across bitter and childish. We don't know what would have happened if he stayed nor does it matter anymore.

^^

Malky was Cardiff's finest manager in my lifetime. He was given a bit of money and absolutely made the most of it in our promotion campaign. Don't forget that he was left with half a squad when he took over, too.

He also unearthed some gems, but all that seems to be forgotten because he signed a player who was injured and unable to make a fast start.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:25 am

*** G L O V E S *** wrote:
Tyrion Tannister wrote:That figure includes wages over five seasons though, which is a nice way of making it more dramatic than it actually is.

^^

Malky was Cardiff's finest manager in my lifetime. He was given a bit of money and absolutely made the most of it in our promotion campaign. Don't forget that he was left with half a squad when he took over, too.

He also unearthed some gems, but all that seems to be forgotten because he signed a player who was injured and unable to make a fast start.

Malky & Cornelius £20 million 3874419067

I'm not really sure Cornelius was ever given a fair chance and the over-the-top price tag meant that the pressure on him was stupidly high. If Malky hadn't so spectacularly burned his bridges with Tan, then Cornelius might've stayed and become a success.

It is easy to forgot that Davy Jones left Malky with an absolute shitshack of a squad to work with too and, at the time, not much budget either and yet we got to the playoffs and a Carling Cup Final.
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:04 am

Malky was excellent for us in the Championship but I think he was a manager who is brilliant with not much money to spend who then becomes like a kid in a sweet shop when he did have a large budget. He also spent a huge amount on Gary Medel who was a good defensive midfield player but wasn't worth the very large fee we paid. Apart from that, there seemed to be something very dodgy about him & Moody with the Cornelius deal.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:58 am

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:Malky was excellent for us in the Championship but I think he was a manager who is brilliant with not much money to spend who then becomes like a kid in a sweet shop when he did have a large budget. He also spent a huge amount on Gary Medel who was a good defensive midfield player but wasn't worth the very large fee we paid. Apart from that, there seemed to be something very dodgy about him & Moody with the Cornelius deal.

Malky & Cornelius £20 million 3874419067

Exactly what I was going to post!
Cleve van Leef
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 6741
Posting Flair : 180

PostCleve van Leef Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:06 am

What’s with this Malky love in? Was given the funds to get out of the championship (£12 million plus), given the money (£50 million) and blew it big time, played to the fans, leaked Club info and in the end got what he deserved, also his quality of football was boring and never up to standard to remain in PL.

Malky & Cornelius £20 million 635981802
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:37 am

Cleve van Leef wrote:What’s with this Malky love in?  Was given the funds to get out of the championship (£12 million plus), given the money (£50 million) and blew it big time, played to the fans, leaked Club info and in the end got what he deserved, also his quality of football was boring and never up to standard to remain in PL.

Agree, but he got the club going in the right direction and walked the Championship, admittedly in a poor quality division.  I can remember being pilloried on here as I advocated replacing Malky with some one of PL experience prior to that farcical season.
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:26 pm

Cleve van Leef wrote:What’s with this Malky love in?  Was given the funds to get out of the championship (£12 million plus), given the money (£50 million) and blew it big time, played to the fans, leaked Club info and in the end got what he deserved, also his quality of football was boring and never up to standard to remain in PL.

Being given money to get out of the second tier is not a prerequisite to going up. How many heavily-backed teams do you see struggle to go up these days.

In terms of leaking info, I don't think anything ever came of that, to the dismay of Tan.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:25 pm

You seem to have forgotten Cleve that under Malky we were safe from the relegation spots- we were 15th at the fateful Liverpool game. Things went south when the rumours of Tans interference surfaced and it got worse under OGS. Whether or not he deserved it, Tan removing Malky killed the club's PL days.
Cleve van Leef
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 6741
Posting Flair : 180

PostCleve van Leef Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:06 pm

In 17th when he got the boot. No matter what anyone says no-one knows if we'd have stayed up if he had kept his job. The football under Mackay was dreadful.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:16 pm

Indeed, so we were never in the relegation spots under his management. You're right the football wasn't great but we were hard to beat, and that's the most important component of survival. We can never say whether with Malky we would have survived or not - the only thing that's fact is that Tans involvement definetely didn't help.

I'm not Malkys biggest fan considering the continual developments after he left the role, but I feel too many people were keen to throw him under the bus even when he was succeeding. I'll defend his performance on the pitch to the end - no one expected promotion in the first season of investment and he won the league. I myself said we should swap him before the PL season started and yet he kept us out of the relegation spots. He never once failed in bringing out more than a lot of people expected from him in raw results.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum