Can we have Craig Bellamy as our manager already please?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:47 am

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10092853/the-changing-role-of-a-striker-craig-bellamy-and-jamie-carragher-on-modern-day-forwards

He was on sky sports discussing Jamie Vardy and the progression of the role of a striker in the modern league. He then goes on to discuss how he would like a team to play if he was in charge. In summary - he loathes the modern theory you need a six foot plus striker up front who purely exists to hold the ball up. He would want to play two up front and want to see them both making runs in behind the opposition and creating space for each other. He believes the ideal striking duo is Liverpools Benteke and Sturridge - both quick and able to test their markers concentration, and if a team sits back against them they also have Bentekes strength to work with. It sounds great frankly - progressive even, a word that probably gives Russell Slade nightmares.
thehumblegringo
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
User Points : 678
Posting Flair : 120

Postthehumblegringo Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:17 am

I've got to say having watched him on Monday night football there's an air of inevitability that he will be our next manager.

It seems like it was far more than a coincidence that he was in our directors box a few weeks ago.

Personally I think he would be the perfect fit for us at this present time.
Every time I watch or read one of his interviews he always strikes me as a true student of the game.
Everything he says is fresh and he never get regurgitates worn out quotes like some pundits and footballers do.

He has invested his time in learning the game since retirement and wasn't naive enough to jump straight into football 2 years ago.

I also love the interest he takes in the academy. He is of the opinion that as a manager you should be looking within the club at the academy players before looking in the transfer market.
He has far more involvement with the academy than Slade even though he is now even on the clubs payroll.

My only question would be his temperament in handling difficult players and players who don't have the same drive and energy that he does.

This potential con is far outweighed by the pros of having someone who would bring a renewed energy and passion to the club as well as having good contacts within the game.

I honestly couldn't think of a realistic target who I would rather be our manager at present more than Craig Bellamy apart from maybe Mark Warburton.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:00 am

Bellamy is a far more mature thinker than many would give him credit for. It appears that he has his career path sketched out in his mind and is clearly looking at the management side of things for the long term.

He is probably far better equipped than most for handling difficult players, having been no angel himself.

Having played in the top division for most of his career, he is probably better suited to managing at PL level. If City, by their best efforts, manage to sneak back up this year, then I would like to see the club look towards someone like Bellamy, rather than give Slade a chance out of blind loyalty.

City have already made that mistake once with Malky, who was never equipped tactically or contact-wise to manage at PL level.
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:55 am

After seeing him speak on MNF, and the knowledge that he has of the game - discussing Saachi's influence on the 4-4-2 formation, etc - I have a little more confidence that he can do a job here.

Think it would be harsh to sack Slade while in the top three, though. If we slip down the table in the coming weeks then the debate will become more prominent.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:06 am

If Slade does the job this season, then well done to him, but he has to be at the limit of his ability. It doesn't automatically qualify him to lead a campaign in the PL, "à la Malky".

A far-sighted club would move him upstairs as a reward and bring in a "modern" coach to take on the challenges we failed at so miserably last time.

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:04 pm

His temperament could be a good or bad thing - Bellamy ran himself into the ground each and every time he stepped onto the pitch. In a similar vein to Malky, he wouldn't tolerate laziness. I feel the same way - I don't mind losing a much if every member of the squad an barely walk off the pitch at the end, as at least they tried.

Several members of the squad right now would be in the doghouse with him for not giving it their all.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum