View previous topic View next topic Go down

JB
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 8171
Posting Flair : 320

PostJB Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:18 pm

History

The club has had a chequered history experiencing turbulent times and many name changes.

The club was formed by a series of mergers and name changes. Firstly, Lake United renamed themselves A.F.C. Cardiff in 1984. In 1990, they merged with Sully F.C. to form Inter Cardiff F.C.. In 1996, the club was renamed Inter CableTel A.F.C. (after their sponsors), but reverted to Inter Cardiff FC in 1999.

Meanwhile, the team of Cardiff College of Education was developing (now University of Wales Institute, Cardiff). The team went through a series of name changes, mirroring the name changes of the institution it represented. The team was originally known as Cardiff College of Education F.C.. They became South Glamorgan Institute F.C. in 1979; Cardiff Institute of Higher Education F.C. in 1990 and UWIC in 1996.

Finally, in 2000, Inter Cardiff merged with UWIC to form UWIC Inter Cardiff F.C.. The team's nicknames by fans include The International, The Sheep (Wales is famous for its sheep) or The Div's (from Car-DIFF). The Seagull on the team's logo originated from the Sully connection (nicknamed 'The Seagulls').

At present, the club is now under the management team of Alex McInch and ex-Premier League star Christian Edwards who also still plays for Aberystwyth Town F.C.

--------

Just think of their fans for a while and all the rebranding they've had to put up with. But remember one thing, their history is still there until this day for us to see. You can change and make traditions but you can't change history because its already made.

Inter Cardiff FC 833362651
Wayne S
Wayne S
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
User Points : 222
Posting Flair : 80

PostWayne S Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:45 pm

I used to go and watch them play when the Welsh League still fed into the English pyramid system. Their ground was up a lane in Ely, I think Caerau FC play there now.

I remember the place being rammed for one game but cannot remember what it was.
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 5923
Posting Flair : 460

PostG-ster Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:09 pm

A mate of mine played for Inter Cabletel against Celtic in the UEFA Cup in 1997.
They used to play home games at Leckwith Athletics Stadium but switched that match to Ninian Park I think.
Trigger
Trigger
Academy Player
User Points : 34
Posting Flair : 10

PostTrigger Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:00 pm

Caught a few of their games at Leckwith, always assumed they had gone out of business.
Wayne S
Wayne S
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

PostWayne S Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:47 am

Ahhhh, this is annoying me now.

I remember when they changed their name to AFC Cardiff back in '84 and playing just up the road from me on Cwrt-yr-Ala Lane, but I do not remember them being called Lake United.

I can only assume Lake United merged with a smaller club based near me.

I CANNOT for the life of me remember the club that played there prior to '84 or the biggish game that they played in Ely that near enough blocked the whole area with cars.

The net is useless with such petty searches but it sure is winding me up. Inter Cardiff FC 2854552383
•••••••™
•••••••™
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 6591
Posting Flair : 303

Post•••••••™ Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:13 am

I predict they will merge with FC Cardiff in a few years time, and play in the Cardiff & District league wearing blue Inter Cardiff FC 4228682415
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:33 am

They definitely started off as Lake Utd and were started by pupils in Cardiff High & one or 2 other schools. They were AFC Cardiff when they played at Cwrt yr Ala in Ely before merging with Sully which is where the seagulls nickname comes from and why it is on the badge. The other nicknames are a figment of somebody's imagination on wiki. They were invariably just called Inter after the move to Leckwith. The big crowds at Ely were probably Welsh cup games when they played some big non league English teams. The common denominator from Sully onwards was a chap called Max James who got all sorts of big sponsorships and it went tits up when he left. He's now the reason why Pontypridd are flush with money. I was a Director and Press Officer which is why I'm such a smartarse. Incidentally, i still have 2 squad shirts from one of their European games and had dinner in the Celtic boardroom when I was with them.
Smug post over!
Wayne S
Wayne S
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

PostWayne S Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:48 am

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:They were invariably just called Inter after the move to Leckwith.

The big crowds at Ely were probably Welsh cup games when they played some big non league English teams.

Stop it now you are leaving me with more questions than answers, it's just telling me I'm going senile.

I think you are right the big crowd will be a Welsh Cup game. But who were the company that changed the clubs name to Inter Cardiff? The Inter part was from the companies name a bit like "Total Network Solutions".
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:05 am

The first big sponsors were Aspro Travel when Inter was first set up & moved to Leckwith.
Wayne S
Wayne S
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

PostWayne S Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:14 am

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:The first big sponsors were Aspro Travel when Inter was first set up & moved to Leckwith.

That reminded me. It was Inter European Airways. Their name font was carried over to the Inter Cardiff name.

Inter Cardiff FC 250px-10
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:57 am

Without our rebrand I think we'd have to change our name to Inter Administration.

coat
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum