Is Jack Wilshere the most overrated player in world football?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:23 pm

Discuss.
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 5923
Posting Flair : 460

PostG-ster Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:31 pm

I suppose Steven Gerrard has to give up that title some day.

Wilshere's OK in my view, but still early days.
Davz-15
Squad Player
Squad Player
User Points : 213
Posting Flair : 80

PostDavz-15 Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Gerrard Is under rated by as many as over rated! I personally thought a few seasons ago he was the best central midfielder! As for Wilshire I think he has potential but he was playing alongside 2 world class players the season before last which made him probably look better! Will probably turn into a better player than Rambo!
NN2Red
NN2Red
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
User Points : 396
Posting Flair : 50

PostNN2Red Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:37 pm

*** G L O V E S *** wrote:Discuss.

It's difficult to know - it's about a year since he played?! Conceptually he is a classic "English" player - "Form" and "Fitness" have no bearing on how wonderful the UK media think you are! ( O/T Even heavyweight broadsheet football pundits are questioning whether Stuart Pierce has made a tactical mistake by not picking Beckham for the joke Olympic Football Circus.)
Caldi Blue
Caldi Blue
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 3884
Posting Flair : 540

PostCaldi Blue Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:46 pm

I honestly don't know/can't remember.
BigREDbird
BigREDbird
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 2711
Posting Flair : 80

PostBigREDbird Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:54 pm

I honestly can't remember his style or ability.... the English press will big him up so much that he will always find it hard to live up to his billing!
Albany Blue
Albany Blue
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 1075
Posting Flair : 130

PostAlbany Blue Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:51 pm

Like most people said, it's been so long since he has played that it is difficult to make a judgement. Nevermind the fact he's only like 20 years old. The potential is definitely there, how much he will fulfil that is yet to be seen. Highly doubt he'll be as influential as Gerrard & Lampard have been for their clubs over the last 10 years.
JB
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 8171
Posting Flair : 320

PostJB Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:26 pm

Gerrard is not overrated at all. He is world class. Without Gerrard Liverpool wouldn't have won in 05 because he ordered at half time that Hamann came on so he could have more attacking freedom and low and behold he kick started the come back. In 2006 they wouldn't have won the FA Cup without his insanely class volley in the dying moments of the game against West Ham and they would have struggled to win the Carling Cup against us even more.

If it wasn't for him their last trophies would have been over 10 years ago.

Everyone is blasting Gerrard for not doing a job on Pirlo but Gerrard is a CAM, nothing else and that'll always be the case. Parker should have had Pirlo's number but he didn't get tight enough to him meaning Gerrard had to give up on attacks to try and help him out very much like how he had to in the first half of the 05 final on Kaka who tore them a new backside in the first half.

He's easily in the world top 3 box to box midfielders and for me in the top 5-10 in the world.

If there was one British player I'd want my kid to look up to for inspiration it would be him or Whittingham of course but then Whittingham is God and I cant expect my kid to be that good. (hypothetical kid of the future) Is Jack Wilshere the most overrated player in world football?  833362651

In relation to Wilshere, I've never rated him. Looked good at Bolton because he was a big fish in a small pond. Thats all there is to it for me.
Caldi Blue
Caldi Blue
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 3884
Posting Flair : 540

PostCaldi Blue Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:35 pm

RedIsTheWay wrote:Gerrard is not overrated at all. He is world class. Without Gerrard Liverpool wouldn't have won in 05 because he ordered at half time that Hamann came on so he could have more attacking freedom and low and behold he kick started the come back. In 2006 they wouldn't have won the FA Cup without his insanely class volley in the dying moments of the game against West Ham and they would have struggled to win the Carling Cup against us even more.

Everyone is blasting Gerrard for not doing a job on Pirlo but Gerrard is a CAM, nothing else and that'll always be the case. Parker should have had Pirlo's number but he didn't get tight enough to him meaning Gerrard had to give up on attacks to try and help him out very much like how he had to in the first half of the 05 final on Kaka who tore them a new backside in the first half.

He's easily in the world top 3 box to box midfielders and for me in the top 5-10 in the world.
If there was one British player I'd want my kid to look up to for inspiration it would be him or Whittingham of course but then Whittingham is God and I cant expect my kid to be that good. (hypothetical kid of the future) Is Jack Wilshere the most overrated player in world football?  833362651

In relation to Wilshere, I've never rated him. Looked good at Bolton because he was a big fish in a small pond. Thats all there is to it for me.

Are you being serious? It's not 2006, it's 2012. Gerrard used to be brilliant, but he's very poor these days save for the odd game, like against Everton. He's scored some great and important goals in the past, but that's what it is, the past.
JB
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 8171
Posting Flair : 320

PostJB Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:44 pm

Caldi Blue wrote:
RedIsTheWay wrote:Gerrard is not overrated at all. He is world class. Without Gerrard Liverpool wouldn't have won in 05 because he ordered at half time that Hamann came on so he could have more attacking freedom and low and behold he kick started the come back. In 2006 they wouldn't have won the FA Cup without his insanely class volley in the dying moments of the game against West Ham and they would have struggled to win the Carling Cup against us even more.

Are you being serious? It's not 2006, it's 2012. Gerrard used to be brilliant, but he's very poor these days save for the odd game, like against Everton. He's scored some great and important goals in the past, but that's what it is, the past.

He carried England this tournament along with a brief show from Walcott. Without him stepping it up they'd have been out in the groups, there is no doubt about that. He's not as good as he used to be but name me a better box to box midfielder currently other than Sweinsteiger and Toure? Sneijder, Ozil, Xavi, Iniesta, etc aren't box to box midfielders. The only other one in with a shout is Ramires who has been on terrific form this season for Chelsea. You dont get credit from Zidane and be touted as the best in the world for nothing. Considering Gerrard has been injured a lot of the season he stepped up when it mattered but unfortunately for him other players who are overrated like Scott Parker did bugger all.

I know its a matter of opinion but thats mine and I still think he has it. I have to agree with these guys.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1237764-liverpool-fc-6-lessons-learned-from-steven-gerrards-euro-2012-campaign/page/2

Is Jack Wilshere the most overrated player in world football?  833362651
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 5923
Posting Flair : 460

PostG-ster Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:02 pm

Re. Gerrard, when was the last big international game that he rose above the level of mediocre?

Gerrard runs around like a headless chicken whereas Pirlo strolls about, knowing when to switch between keeping it simple, or finding the right angle for something more penetrative.

The traditional British qualities of effort and determination are overvalued when compared to the skills that make the difference at the very highest level.

Football’s all about opinions; for my money Paul Scholes is the best English midfielder in recent times.

Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum