*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:25 am

We were in a good position under Mackay. Off the top of my head, we picked up points against all the realistic relegation threatened sides around us bar Palace away.

It was a good position to be in, meaning essentially we had to win just a handful of the home games against teams in the bottom half.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:55 am

*** G L O V E S *** wrote:We were in a good position under Mackay. Off the top of my head, we picked up points against all the realistic relegation threatened sides around us bar Palace away.

It was a good position to be in, meaning essentially we had to win just a handful of the home games against teams in the bottom half.

Relegation inevitable due to our terrible record in 'six pointers' under Ole - Page 2 3874419067

The only relegation rival that Malky played at home was West Brom, two weeks before he got the sack when controversy was already rife about his number being up. More inportantly, West Brom was his only loss against any of them home or away, we always walked away with at least a point.

Comparatively, OGS has played all the relegation rivals, most with home advantage, and has lost most of the time.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:25 am

Team morale was shot by the time that OGS took over. I'm not blaming Malky exclusively, but the successive batterings that the defense had taken in the first half of the season and lack of goals was always going to be a telling factor as the season rolled on.

Be honest Red & Gloves, if it hadn't have been for Marshall's exceptional shot stopping form we would have been absolutely stuffed on several occasions..........Norwich, Spurs, Everton......need I go on?
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:48 am

TDA wrote:Team morale was shot by the time that OGS took over.  I'm not blaming Malky exclusively, but the successive batterings that the defense had taken in the first half of the season and lack of goals was always going to be a telling factor as the season rolled on.

Be honest Red & Gloves, if it hadn't have been for Marshall's exceptional shot stopping form we would have been absolutely stuffed on several occasions..........Norwich, Spurs, Everton......need I go on?

Very much so, but more fool OGS for using the January transfer window to buy three Norwegian players that would barely see the light of day instead of working on the issues the squad had.

Malkys tactics from day one have been look for draws away from home and then win in your own back garden. The only change is that now we are (were) a small fish in a big pond. Back in the championship we could walk into every home game knowing we can win, while this season we walk into it knowing that we are a worse side than at least another 15. Thats meant we've seen the more hazardous 'Draw would be a good result' tactics from Malky. And it worked. I've seen many mentions of how a point here and there could of made so much difference and how we lost 2 points to sunderland here, lost two to Hull here, on and on. How about the countless matches where OGS went out to win and lost, when Malky would of set up to draw and probably come away with a point?
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:15 am

Malky always set up for a draw in the Championship as well - home or away. I used to get fed up of seeing us grind out draws against teams we should have been beating.
His tactics were as predictable as Red wanting the last word in a Malky v OGS thread!
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:29 am

Historically, the January transfer window is a hopeless time to try to buy players who are going to make a difference, but it seems difficult, at the moment, to justify buying some of the players who arrived at City in January.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:36 am

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:Malky always set up for a draw in the Championship as well - home or away. I used to get fed up of seeing us grind out draws against teams we should have been beating.
His tactics were as predictable as Red wanting the last word in a Malky v OGS thread!

Curious, as 46 draws would of got us relegated in the championship last season.

Your memory must be going in your old age Cyncoed, as we aren't in league one anymore Wink
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:21 pm

Red614 wrote:
*** G L O V E S *** wrote:We were in a good position under Mackay. Off the top of my head, we picked up points against all the realistic relegation threatened sides around us bar Palace away.

Relegation inevitable due to our terrible record in 'six pointers' under Ole - Page 2 3874419067

The only relegation rival that Malky played at home was West Brom, two weeks before he got the sack when controversy was already rife about his number being up. More inportantly, West Brom was his only loss against any of them home or away, we always walked away with at least a point.

Comparatively, OGS has played all the relegation rivals, most with home advantage, and has lost most of the time.

Didn't we beat West Brom 1-0? Whittingham header, I think...
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:10 pm

*** G L O V E S *** wrote:
Red614 wrote:

Didn't we beat West Brom 1-0? Whittingham header, I think...

You're right actually sorry, I got a bit confused trying to count home and away matches simultaneously. Malkys record was better than I reported...
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum