View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Apparently UEFA will be investigating whether to change the current law after the controversy in the two champions league matches this week. I'm can certainly see the point, as right now a player who performs a foul to deny a goal scoring opportunity -

-Concedes a penalty
- Is sent off
- Is banned for the second leg

What it does more often than not is ruin the match. Personally I would split it in two - if the foul takes place in the box and thus a penalty is given, only a yellow should be shown. If the goalscoring opportunity was outside of the box and thus no penalty is given, the player should see red.
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:59 pm

It's an interesting one. These last two nights have shown though that something needs to change. Fair enough, both committed challenges, but I think a penalty and, say, 20 minutes 'sin bin' should be enough.
lottydottyblue
lottydottyblue
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1338
Posting Flair : 60

Postlottydottyblue Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:20 am

Red614 wrote:Apparently UEFA will be investigating whether to change the current law after the controversy in the two champions league matches this week. I'm can certainly see the point, as right now a player who performs a foul to deny a goal scoring opportunity -

-Concedes a penalty
- Is sent off

What it does more often than not is ruin the match. Personally I would split it in two - if the foul takes place in the box and thus a penalty is given, only a yellow should be shown. If the goalscoring opportunity was outside of the box and thus no penalty is given, the player should see red.

I can see your points Red, but even allowing for the the importance of such games, the punishment is still less severe than that doled out in English League football for the very same offence, when 3 game bans are enforced. It does pose a very good question though, where else does a person get punished 3 times for one offence?  The triple penalty - is it fair? 4228682415 
glasgowronnie
glasgowronnie
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 3965
Posting Flair : 220

Postglasgowronnie Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:44 am

Red614 wrote:Apparently UEFA will be investigating whether to change the current law after the controversy in the two champions league matches this week. I'm can certainly see the point, as right now a player who performs a foul to deny a goal scoring opportunity -

-Concedes a penalty
- Is sent off

Isn't there a fine in there somewhere? I might be wrong though....I've always felt that someone could be punished three times and wondered if that was right, however I couldn't think of an alternative
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:04 am

Arsene Wenger has been saying the same for years after Lehmann was sent off in the CL final and I agree. It does seem ludicrous.

I like Red's proposal as the rules currently stands but if a sin-bin does come into effect then that might be a better option.

Personally, I'd like to see less bookings and more physical contact allowed (not dangerous play as such) in football. You only have to watch Ice Hockey and Rugby to see that it can work in sport and be managed successfully.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum