Miss hit Whittingham

View previous topic View next topic Go down

porgie
Academy Player
User Points : 156
Posting Flair : 0

Postporgie Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:14 am

Went along with a few friends and watched the match last night and to be honest i was disappointed with some of the passing but i can't understand why Malky keeps picking Peter Whittingham. The corners and free kicks he took were abysmal. Mark Hughes and his storkies must have been really enjoying the spectacle of Whittingham and his pathetic attempts. The January transfer window can't come quick enough so that Malky be allowed to bring in some quality players because without them we'll be back playing championship football asap.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:07 am

He is definitely well below his best at the moment, but I don't think it fair to single out Whitts from last night's performance.

The distribution all round was poor.....John, Cowie and Mutch were equally culpable in giving the ball away. A lot of play went through Katie-Cathy, but given the lack of options ahead of him, more than 55% of his passes went astray (stats courtesy of Red614 this morning!).

Stoke had worked out that it was okay to let Medel and the others pass the ball around themselves at the back, but whenever Turner was the slightest bit isolated, they closed him down quickly, as they know his passing is so poor. We continue to lose so much possession that way. Fortunately, Stoke were so dreadful themselves that they weren't able to capitalise on it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hudson in on Saturday.......no season will be complete without hearing that immortal phrase......."long ball from Hudson"
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:36 am

I can see where you're coming from, but I believe he has three assists and one goal this season - it's not bad going (albeit from a load of set-pieces). I was looking at the Arsenal messageboard's after our game and a lot of their fans mentioned how important Whittingham is to our side.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:21 am

*** G L O V E S *** wrote:I can see where you're coming from, but I believe he has three assists and one goal this season - it's not bad going (albeit from a load of set-pieces). I was looking at the Arsenal messageboard's after our game and a lot of their fans mentioned how important Whittingham is to our side.
I think the truth is that Whitts is blowing hot and cold. He is important to the side and when he does have an off night, the team hurts badly. His set piece execution last night was the worst I have ever seen from him and his passing in general play was well below par. If he isn't contributing in these areas, then it may be worth starting with Kimbo for a game or two and playing Gunnarsson deeper alongside Medel.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:48 am

I also disagree - the Whitts that played yesterday was completely different to the Whitts that played the two matches before. He was one of the first names on the scoresheet for me for that match based on prior performances, so I really don't see where you're coming from in being confused why he 'keeps picking him'.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:36 am

TDA wrote:He is definitely well below his best at the moment, but I don't think it fair to single out Whitts from last night's performance.  

The distribution all round was poor.....John, Cowie and Mutch were equally culpable in giving the ball away.  A lot of play went through Katie-Cathy, but given the lack of options ahead of him, more than 55% of his passes went astray (stats courtesy of Red614 this morning!).

Stoke had worked out that it was okay to let Medel and the others pass the ball around themselves at the back, but whenever Turner was the slightest bit isolated, they closed him down quickly, as they know his passing is so poor.  We continue to lose so much possession that way.  Fortunately, Stoke were so dreadful themselves that they weren't able to capitalise on it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hudson in on Saturday.......no season will be complete without hearing that immortal phrase......."long ball from Hudson"
It would be unusual to drop a defender after he has kept a clean sheet?
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:21 pm

Slumdog's Son™ wrote:
True, but there is more to being a defender these days than just defending.......
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:33 pm

Slumdog's Son™ wrote:
TDA wrote:He is definitely well below his best at the moment, but I don't think it fair to single out Whitts from last night's performance.  

The distribution all round was poor.....John, Cowie and Mutch were equally culpable in giving the ball away.  A lot of play went through Katie-Cathy, but given the lack of options ahead of him, more than 55% of his passes went astray (stats courtesy of Red614 this morning!).

Stoke had worked out that it was okay to let Medel and the others pass the ball around themselves at the back, but whenever Turner was the slightest bit isolated, they closed him down quickly, as they know his passing is so poor.  We continue to lose so much possession that way.  Fortunately, Stoke were so dreadful themselves that they weren't able to capitalise on it.

Does that mean you'd keep Declan John at left back and bench Taylor?
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:42 pm

John gave a reasonably good account of himself - I for one wouldn't mind seeing him given a run in the first team. Taylor is okay but in John we might have another class act and he should be given time to flourish
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Rhys wrote:John gave a reasonably good account of himself - I for one wouldn't mind seeing him given a run in the first team. Taylor is okay but in John we might have another class act and he should be given time to flourish
True enough....

www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/share?i=03HnY3

Stokes attempted crosses last match. KTC's side was battered, illustrating what I said about him leaving too big a hole behind him. Johns side on the other hand was targeted much less frequently.

Whether that tells you John did a good job or that Hughes did his homework on KTC I'm not quite sure.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:42 pm

I would give him a run. Taylor is alright but he is a good Championship player and has been targeted a few times now by the opposition. John is up and coming and could offer more.

Odd that KTC was targeted more than an 18 year old starting his second premier league match. Assaidi does seem a good player though
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:59 pm

Slumdog's Son™ wrote:I would give him a run. Taylor is alright but he is a good Championship player and has been targeted a few times now by the opposition. John is up and coming and could offer more.

Odd that KTC was targeted more than an 18 year old starting his second premier league match. Assaidi does seem a good player though
I feel the same way regarding Taylor, I said so in another topic. I feel he's hit his ceiling - it may be a very competent ceiling, but a ceiling that sits in the upper echelons of the championship. John however is still growing to a potential premiership standard. He's got a hell of a right foot on him, and I've heard a fair few development loyalists say we could have our own Leighton Baines in training...
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:16 pm

I agree Red! He is unlikely to set the world on fire as he is only just starting to get game time in the toughest league in the world. And that's well put...Taylor has hit his ceiling. It's just not quite high enough for us!
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:19 am

Big fan of Taylor myself but agree with your point Red. We might need a better option if we're to step up once again.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum