Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:45 am

No, not my final note but more a recommendation to watch this programme on the iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b036x8d2/Footballs_Suicide_Secret/

It's far from perfect in terms of content and has some frankly shoddy production values along the way, but, it is also very moving, revealing and some of Clarke Carlisle's self realisations along the way certainly bring a tear to the eye. I know we don't have a knuckle-dragger element on this board anyway, but it might just make you think twice before clearing your throat to shout "head it Rudy! Don't fall onto to it! For fuch's sake!" as it appears stuff like that can really damage players.
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:11 am

Watched this last month; interesting to see Carlisle pinpoint's his depression back to when we beat QPR in the play-off final. Cardiff City to blame!
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:17 am

*** G L O V E S *** wrote:Watched this last month; interesting to see Carlisle pinpoint's his depression back to when we beat QPR in the play-off final. Cardiff City to blame!

Yes, I forgot to mention that! I admit I found that bit vaguely difficult to follow as I was too busy celebrating Campbell's goal again coat 
DrewBlue
DrewBlue
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
User Points : 912
Posting Flair : 70

PostDrewBlue Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:28 am

A wonderful program highlighting a scourge so prominent in modern society it can even affect those at the very top. Show's even the glamour, money and success can do nothing to halt such a debilitating illness.

As someone who has suffered from depression for many, many years with a daily struggle against hating life and being alive, this program is a stark reminder for me that it can happen to the best of us. Their ought to be more programs like this, anything to help bring this illness to the forefront and help the thousands out there who need it.
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:03 am

I haven't seen the programme yet Drew but as a fellow struggle against depression for most of my adult life I agree that anything which helps shed a little light and understanding on the subject is a good thing.

Everyone is likely to be touched by this illness in some way. Have a relative or friend or colleague who battles against it - and in some cases loses that battle.

The good news is that I believe the level of understanding and sympathy for this condition has increased enormously over the years.
DrewBlue
DrewBlue
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
User Points : 912
Posting Flair : 70

PostDrewBlue Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:11 am

Absolutely Toast Boy, 1 in 4 men are now sufferer's apparently, anything that helps is a good thing.

It really has, programmes like this help and Stephen Fry is a big help with blogs and whatnot. Problem with it is because it is so widespread an illness with so many different factors and variables it is very difficult to get a head around it, it affects different people in different ways. Let's hope awareness and help continues to grow
Caldi Blue
Caldi Blue
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 3884
Posting Flair : 540

PostCaldi Blue Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:58 pm

I'll have to give this a watch. Although I have had low patches (who hasn't?), I haven't suffered from depression and in my younger years I was a bit ignorant towards it and the needs of sufferers, but as I've got older and matured (hah!) I've become a lot more understanding. It's something I want to learn more about because some of my best friends have struggled with it any my girlfriend is on prescribed medication for it.

FAO Drew/Toast (and any other sufferers), as poxy as this sounds, you've always got the forum if you wanna get something out there (although you may have to wait for a response, so please choose your time appropriately)
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum