Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Tue May 21, 2013 6:58 pm

First topic message reminder :

Anyone else buzzing for this?! New Xbox reveal today! - Page 2 3640184800

Been waiting months for this and was actually dreaming about it all last night (sad I know).

Its on live stream on the Xbox website from 6pm UK time.

Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Wed May 22, 2013 5:53 am

Rhys wrote:
Arkay Dubya wrote:
Red614 wrote:Oh and the kinect sensor is getting some much needed improvements. It will now work at a much closer range, the demo showed its creator standing only three feet from the sensor with is arms outstretched over his head and the camera could see his whole body. Much better than the two metre minimum it currently has. It can also read your heart rate by using infrared light to detect your skin pigmentation. Creepy.

Shocked

Will it be able to tell if I'm sat around the living room in my pants?

...and if one of the boys have accidently escaped the barracks?

Underpant linings are not what they used to be
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Wed May 22, 2013 6:33 am

Arkay Dubya wrote:
Rhys wrote:
Arkay Dubya wrote:
Red614 wrote:Oh and the kinect sensor is getting some much needed improvements. It will now work at a much closer range, the demo showed its creator standing only three feet from the sensor with is arms outstretched over his head and the camera could see his whole body. Much better than the two metre minimum it currently has. It can also read your heart rate by using infrared light to detect your skin pigmentation. Creepy.

Shocked

...and if one of the boys have accidently escaped the barracks?

Underpant linings are not what they used to be

Particularly Russian ones because Chernobyl fall out.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Wed May 22, 2013 6:37 am

Arkay Dubya wrote:

Shocked

Worryingly, the answer is yes. Kinect is bundled free of charge but with a catch - it's mandatory and the console doesn't work without it. Microsoft has also issued several licenses leading to the idea that it will make money by selling tv viewing information to marketing companies. Kinect has the ability to turn on whenever it likes, have a nose at who is watching tv, and then turn off again.

Picture this scenario Arkay. You're sat watching daytime tv in your underwear. Kinect turns on and has a peek at you, but in disgust then turns itself off again. A marketing company then contacts your xbox.

'Hey Xbox, anything new to tell us?'
'Well, Arkay REALLY needs some new underwear, they're pretty disgusting'
'Really? Interesting...'

The next day, when you sit down to watch daytime tv, you're bombarded with Kalvin Klein commercials. And your Xbox has already told the marketing company it overheard you telling your friends you need a new Cardiff city top, and that your trainers are getting a bit worn.

Sleep tight Arkay New Xbox reveal today! - Page 2 1525230823
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Wed May 22, 2013 6:47 am

His usual suppliers at Primark and Matalan aren't going to like this.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Wed May 22, 2013 7:38 am

Red614 wrote:
Arkay Dubya wrote:

Shocked

Worryingly, the answer is yes. Kinect is bundled free of charge but with a catch - it's mandatory and the console doesn't work without it. Microsoft has also issued several licenses leading to the idea that it will make money by selling tv viewing information to marketing companies. Kinect has the ability to turn on whenever it likes, have a nose at who is watching tv, and then turn off again.

Picture this scenario Arkay. You're sat watching daytime tv in your underwear. Kinect turns on and has a peek at you, but in disgust then turns itself off again. A marketing company then contacts your xbox.

'Hey Xbox, anything new to tell us?'
'Well, Arkay REALLY needs some new underwear, they're pretty disgusting'
'Really? Interesting...'

The next day, when you sit down to watch daytime tv, you're bombarded with Kalvin Klein commercials. And your Xbox has already told the marketing company it overheard you telling your friends you need a new Cardiff city top, and that your trainers are getting a bit worn.

Sleep tight Arkay New Xbox reveal today! - Page 2 1525230823

New Xbox reveal today! - Page 2 2925389657

How do I know that Kinect is not watching me...or, or, or...TOUCHING me while I sleep? Shocked
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostRhys Wed May 22, 2013 10:51 am

Is it just me or was anyone else underwhelmed with the graphics on the games displayed? It looked very very similar to current gen graphics - particularly EA Sports games.

I have say, and this is as an 360 owner, that the games revealed by Sony looked much much better. Let's hope for a good E3 Microsoft! I would be very sad to say goodbye to be fair.

3 things I not impressed about:

- When a game is purchased it become linked to one xbox live account - to lend it to a mate or sell they will need to purchase a code at full price.

- The console requires an internet connection and you need to be connected at least daily for the system to work

- The graphics are not as good as the PS4 (so far)
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Wed May 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Rhys wrote:Is it just me or was anyone else underwhelmed with the graphics on the games displayed? It looked very very similar to current gen graphics - particularly EA Sports games.

I have say, and this is as an 360 owner, that the games revealed by Sony looked much much better. Let's hope for a good E3 Microsoft! I would be very sad to say goodbye to be fair.

- When a game is purchased it become linked to one xbox live account - to lend it to a mate or sell they will need to purchase a code at full price.

- The console requires an internet connection and you need to be connected at least daily for the system to work

The console doesn't require an Internet connection Rhys, at least not essentially. 95% of the console won't work without one, but you can still play single player games offline.

The pre owned games issue is one that's not exclusive to Microsoft, it's a change being forced through across the market by the companies that blame pre owned games for their decreased turnover. Microsoft is the first one to act to get the companies (Ea in particular) on their side, but both PC and Sony will follow suit very soon.

The graphics I agree with you, but it's also nothing new. If you remember everyone was saying how much more powerful the PS3 was than the x360, but when tested the difference was negligible. Besides, EA was in particular guilty of showing cinematic rather than actual gameplay, so it's difficult to compare them properly until an unbiased reviewer gets his hands on both of them.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Wed May 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Decision made. I too was nervous about the lack of gaming grunt, but after reason lots of comparison reviews they all agree deep down in the hardware, both are about as powerful as each other. The lack of games will probably be fixed at E3, and there's lots of speculation that the two companies will swap places at E3 (Sony will finally unveil the console but not show many games, Microsoft will go game crazy).

I put my decision down to this -
- any difference in games quality will be marginal and barely noticeable
- Xbox has a far superior online capacity on Xbox live
- I think the new features are actually pretty impressive
- I'm Xbox biased, I'm used to the system layout and frankly the ps4 would have to e a semi-god to tempt me into changing. Even if it turns out better, it is highly unlikely to be enough to talk me ino changing cloaks

So therefore - I preordered. I'm the proud future owner of an Xbox One New Xbox reveal today! - Page 2 833362651
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostRhys Wed May 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Red614 wrote:
Rhys wrote:Is it just me or was anyone else underwhelmed with the graphics on the games displayed? It looked very very similar to current gen graphics - particularly EA Sports games.

The console doesn't require an Internet connection Rhys, at least not essentially. 95% of the console won't work without one, but you can still play single player games offline.
The pre owned games issue is one that's not exclusive to Microsoft, it's a change being forced through across the market by the companies that blame pre owned games for their decreased turnover. Microsoft is the first one to act to get the companies (Ea in particular) on their side, but both PC and Sony will follow suit very soon.

The graphics I agree with you, but it's also nothing new. If you remember everyone was saying how much more powerful the PS3 was than the x360, but when tested the difference was negligible. Besides, EA was in particular guilty of showing cinematic rather than actual gameplay, so it's difficult to compare them properly until an unbiased reviewer gets his hands on both of them.

Not according to microsofts vice president

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

And here's the bombshell:

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

Tbh though, that doesn't bother me too much but I can see it being an issue for some.

In the same interview Harrison also says to unlock preowend games you have to pay a fee of the full price of the game - they are however quickly backtracking on this.

With actually no games showing gameplay footage yet - im going to withhold judgement.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Wed May 22, 2013 8:01 pm

Fair play, I stand corrected. Though likewise, in the UK in the year 2013, it's a very very limited problem. What may be a big issue for some is the amount of pressure put on cloud storage power. Multiplayer games are being boosted from 16 person affairs to potentially 128 (I think, definetely over 100 though) man call of duty fragfests. The Xbox, the PS4 and I'm 99% certain any home gaming pc would not be able to handle that off its own back. Microsofts huge server grunt however can. The problem is how much the cloud can help you depends on how well your Internet connection can cope. Asia gets 15mb/s average and will be just fine, but the uk average of 1 to 2 meg per second may seriously struggle. But again, I love in a fast broadband area and get about 20 average do ill be fine. It would still bother me however of only 10 people can manage to harness a 128 man team death match. Have to wait and see.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum