View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:09 am

I can only assume NNRed is exploding with rage right about now, with the handball Suarez goal that without a doubt killed Mansfield off. Whether it was deliberate or not is difficult to decide but the kiss of his wrist in the celebration was disgusting.

My problem with this lies more with fans reactions though. Those in defence of Suarez claim ball to hand, with the ball rebounding so fast Suarez didn't have time to move his hand, Fair enough (though in my opinion he knew what he was doing). But since when did this mean he has done no wrong? Not too long ago a Bundesliga player scored in similar fashion, only to approach the referee and declare he hit it with his hand and had the goal revoked. That is sportsmanship, and in an ideal world it should be seen everywhere. In knowing it happened and not doing anything to fix it you have cheated. It's Suarez CELEBERATING getting away with it that has gone one disgraceful step further.
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:25 am

Here's a link to get your blood boiling, then.....including two famous incidents from yesteryear - Joe Jordan, 1977 and Diego Maradona, 1986. The Jordan video also shows him doing a similar celabratory hand kiss, while Diego infamously and outrageously claimed it was the hand of God. So it's something that's always been with us, unfortunately.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Football-videos-Top-10-unpunished-football-handball-incidents-article828339.html
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:40 am

Red614 wrote:I can only assume NNRed is exploding with rage right about now, with the handball Suarez goal that without a doubt killed Mansfield off. Whether it was deliberate or not is difficult to decide but the kiss of his wrist in the celebration was disgusting.

My problem with this lies more with fans reactions though. Those in defence of Suarez claim ball to hand, with the ball rebounding so fast Suarez didn't have time to move his hand, Fair enough (though in my opinion he knew what he was doing). But since when did this mean he has done no wrong? Not too long ago a Bundesliga player scored in similar fashion, only to approach the referee and declare he hit it with his hand and had the goal revoked. That is sportsmanship, and in an ideal world it should be seen everywhere. In knowing it happened and not doing anything to fix it you have cheated. It's Suarez CELEBERATING getting away with it that has gone one disgraceful step further.

This is football, played, in the main, by morons, with no moral fibre, let alone conscience. True sportsmanship, most recently demised in cricket, remains only in golf................lament not, it is a sign of the times........ What the hell is wrong with Football? 3392635135 What the hell is wrong with Football? 3392635135
Kamuza
Kamuza
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 4084
Posting Flair : 832

PostKamuza Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:45 am

You've got to love the commentry on the Jordan incident - 'A penalty if ever there was one'
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:53 am

Funnily enough Tonker I have seen the hand of god incident before... What the hell is wrong with Football? 692773407

I know fully well it's a sport where very few people, especially Suarez, are ever going to admit to a lucky break. But the fans should not jump to a mans defence just because it may of been accidental. Cheating is cheating, intent is irrelevant.
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:04 am

Red614 wrote:Funnily enough Tonker I have seen the hand of god incident before... What the hell is wrong with Football? 692773407

I know fully well it's a sport where very few people, especially Suarez, are ever going to admit to a lucky break. But the fans should not jump to a mans defence just because it may of been accidental. Cheating is cheating, intent is irrelevant.

Just checking, you never know with the youngsters of today....! What the hell is wrong with Football? 692773407

Totally agree, if we were awarded a goal in similar circumstances, I wouldn't be celebrating. Although I might give an embarrassed gallic shrug along the lines of c'est le vie. I'm not sure why I would be turning French in those circumstances though, maybe TDA could advise...
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:27 am

I think Suarez always kisses his wrist after scoring. It seems to be getting quite regular amongst players who usually have a wife/child's name tattooed there. Having said that, I agree with the other comments made about the fact that he was celebrating at all.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:58 am

The Tonker wrote:
Red614 wrote:Funnily enough Tonker I have seen the hand of god incident before... What the hell is wrong with Football? 692773407

Just checking, you never know with the youngsters of today....! What the hell is wrong with Football? 692773407

Totally agree, if we were awarded a goal in similar circumstances, I wouldn't be celebrating. Although I might give an embarrassed gallic shrug along the lines of c'est le vie. I'm not sure why I would be turning French in those circumstances though, maybe TDA could advise...

I don't think the French are necessarily worse that any others, although our Irish friends might disagree. I can remember instances in the past with Robbie Fowler and Andrei Arshavin, where they tried to do the right thing and were roundly lambasted for doing so by their peers and the pundits..........there really isn't a lot of hope, the system condones cheating!
NN2Red2
NN2Red2
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1617
Posting Flair : 80

PostNN2Red2 Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:22 am

Red614 wrote:I can only assume NNRed is exploding with rage right about now, with the handball Suarez goal that without a doubt killed Mansfield off. Whether it was deliberate or not is difficult to decide but the kiss of his wrist in the celebration was disgusting.

It's (Mad Dog) Luis Suarez; brilliant footballer, and I mean brilliant and I don't throw that around lightly, but you can scrape him off your shoes after a visit to Battersea Dog's Home when considering his personality as a human being.
It's up to the officials to referee the rules of the game; we only have a post match review for a limited range of offences. It's hard to see how they missed that handball. Ball to Hand, Hand to Ball it was a huge advantage so should have been called a foul.

As it happened I think that incident galvanized Mansfield to raise their game and score a goal and put Liverpool under great pressure for the last 10 minutes. Liverpool might have strolled to a 1-0 win without Suarez's goal.

I wasn't frothing at the mouth when Suarez scored; I should have been, but I have gown used to, immune to Suarez the cheat; the "Three Wise Monkey's" approach of the FA to administering the game (as long as the money keeps rolling in), and Liverpool Football Club strangely getting the rub of the green from officials. All the time. Even the commentators on ESPN commented on how the referee was giving Liverpool everything.

We may have frothing at the mouth to look forward to next season about this; or the football gods may punish MM for his team selection yesterday.

Time will tell.

Today was a proper cup tie with the underdogs raising their game to match the higher quality opposition players on the day. Yesterday, Macclesfield were not given that opportunity but won. Funny old game football.

Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:51 am

I remember Liverpool being awarded a penalty years ago. Fowler told the ref it wasn't a pen, who didn't listen. So Fowler took it and deliberately hit it tamely, but another player hammered in the rebound.

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:07 am

In the post match interview, three stonewall penalties that should of gone mans fields way were completely missed by the officials. It would of made it 3-1 and potentially ended the game. Then of course there was also Suarez's handball. A great example of referees definetely favouring the bigger team.

Though on the bright side it is a chance to laugh at Liverpool. They needed an apparently completely blind referee, a cheap illegal goal and has to field some of their best players... To beat Mansfield What the hell is wrong with Football? 692773407
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:07 am

I've only just seen the 'goal' and I can hardly believe he got away with that. Refereeing standards at the moment are shocking.
On an unrelated point, didn't Matt Green play for City & the County?
Kamuza
Kamuza
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 4084
Posting Flair : 832

PostKamuza Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:11 am

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:I've only just seen the 'goal' and I can hardly believe he got away with that. Refereeing standards at the moment are shocking.
On an unrelated point, didn't Matt Green play for City & the County?

He certainly did. It was a dream come true move for him that didn't quite work out but it's good to see him still playing professionally.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum