Turner restores faith in international football...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:30 am

Turner restores faith in the true values of international football
A feature on Cardiff City defender Ben Turner and his decision not to represent Wales.

The modern game is in danger of completely alienating itself from the average fan in the street as well-paid young professionals turn the sport into a circus. Press coverage now rarely focuses on events on the field and the topics of debate range from allegations of racism to handshakes. The constant media demand has made trivial statements headline news in the 24-hour wall-to-wall coverage available through the many outlets and the supporters who spend well over the odds to fund the pantomime are quickly becoming disillusioned by the low standards set by the people they put on a pedestal. Loyalty is a rare commodity and is frowned upon by agents and others looking to milk what they can from the multi-billion pound industry, but a recent statement and stance from Cardiff City defender Ben Turner offers hope to those believing that football does have a future and that greed is not the only motivation to make it in the professional game.

Chris Coleman’s appointment as manager of the Welsh national team was naturally greeted with plans for the future and the inevitable changes that would take place in both the short and long term. Team selection was also an obvious talking point as Coleman took on the impossible job of succeeding the late Gary Speed, and in February this year, Ben Turner was touted in the press as a possible addition to the Welsh team having previously played under Coleman at Coventry City. Turner had represented England at Under-19 level, but with the 24-year old now playing his club football in Wales and being eligible for international selection through his two Welsh grandparents, he was quizzed over the possibility of a call-up. Turner responded in modest fashion, preferring to wait until being approached by Coleman before confirming his availability for Wales. With Cardiff City in impressive league and cup form at the time, Turner was enjoying his club football and the level at which he was plying his trade made him an obvious candidate to strengthen the Welsh defence, especially as he was keeping Welsh defender Darcy Blake out the Cardiff City starting line-up.

The story re-emerged in August when Coleman was quizzed over the possibility of selection Stoke City defender Ryan Shawcross, despite his his history with Wales captain Aaron Ramsey. Turner’s possible selection was again raised as filler for the story and as another justifiable option. Within days however, both players had declared that they had no intention of representing Wales, with Shawcross explaining his decision by confirming his England ambitions. Coleman responded professionally and wished him well in his future international career, but little was made of Turner’s decision at the time mainly due to Shawcross being the higher-profile of the two defenders. Shawcross had made similar noises in 2011 when the possibility of playing for Wales was discussed, but with Coleman keen to add further Premier League experience to his squad, another approach was made. Shawcross is highly-rated and his England ambitions are justified in the current climate, but it was the reason for Turner’s decision that offers hope for the integrity of the game.

Ben Turner turned down the opportunity to play international football for Wales because he does not consider himself to be Welsh. This commendable statement was made last month as Turner showed a trait rarely apparent in the modern game. “I’m English and that’s how it is,” said Turner in his recent interview. “I wouldn’t want to stop anyone for wanting to play international football if they felt it was right for them and they can justify it in their own head. But I couldn’t justify it for me and clear my own conscience. It would be like I was pretending to be a Welshman when I’m not. I wouldn’t want to kid anyone but at the same time I don’t want to annoy anyone either because that’s not my style. It was very flattering to be asked and I know Chris Coleman well from when we were both at Coventry. It went through my head that ‘who am I to turn down playing for Wales?’. But I’m not doing it because of that, I’m doing it for my own reasons which are the right reasons.”

Unlike Shawcross, Turner’s international ambitions of earning a full England cap are slim as he continues to play his club football in the Championship. Although he showed in Cardiff City’s Carling Cup run that he can compete against Premier League opposition, including scoring one of his teams two goals against Liverpool in the Wembley final, Turner currently finds himself way down England manager Roy Hodgson’s list of eligible defenders. Born and raised in Birmingham, Turner is a proud Englishman, but his decision to turn down Wales should not be taken in any elitist sense. His decision is based on his appreciation and pride in his country and his maturity to show his understanding of the true values of international football should not be under-estimated in any way. Lesser nations offer lesser players a unique opportunity to earn international honours, but Turner’s devotion to England at the expense of adding to his professional experience should be commended in the unscrupulous modern game.

Many players before him have jumped at the opportunity to play international football for a country they have little or no connection with, and many more will do so in the future, but it is a concept that is lost on Turner. “Would a Welsh guy asked to play for England, would he do that? I probably won’t have the chance to play for England but, in my head, that’s not the point,” he added in his explanation. “I spoke to my family and I spoke to Chris Coleman through our gaffer because our gaffer wanted to help me through it because it was a situation, as a young professional, where I didn’t want it to come across badly. The reason I turned down Wales is that I’m an English lad. I love playing for Cardiff and I really value the support I get from Cardiff but I must be honest to myself, if I played for Wales it would have been because I had been asked rather than growing up dreaming about it. There are lads who grow up dreaming about playing for Wales because they are Welsh and are born in Wales.”

But while Wales’ loss may not even be to England’s gain, Turner has made a significant statement in explaining his decision and will have embarrassed many other internationals in the process. With money and greed dominant in the modern club game, international football remains one of the few elements not affected by or dictated to by cash. For years, historic family connections have offered players the opportunity to boost their footballing CV on the international stage, but Turner has addressed this contentious issue with his own stand and statement. Despite having never worn the red of Wales, Turner will still be a loss on the field as Chris Coleman looks to salvage something from the current World Cup qualifying campaign, but it is his clear focus on what the true values of what international football that will surely come across in his game should he ever make an appearance for England. And it is this pride and spirit that Coleman would love to call upon to represent Wales.

http://www.markpitman1.com/2012/11/11/turner-restores-faith-true-values-international-football/?

----------------------------

Do you agree with this piece? I certainly do.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:02 am

Good man, it's gained him much respect in my opinion. Whatever nationality you are you should stand by that, you shouldn't throw that all away simply because a different team gives you a chance. The reality is England has very strong centre backs and very strong young replacements, I highly doubt Turner will ever make it, and that just makes his decision even more respectable.
Welshineire
Welshineire
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1168
Posting Flair : 100

PostWelshineire Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Declining the offer of international football is a big thing. Frankly it always left me with a degree of wonder when players chose to represent countries other than those that they supported. They boy is highly unlikely to get any England recognition, so this makes his decision even more honourable. Much respect.
Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 22790
Posting Flair : 760

PostTans Tache Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:13 pm

I like turner, always have, this statement/interview shows what a real professional he is... Turner restores faith in international football... 1525230823
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum