Does Anyone on this Board Actually Believe

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cleve van Leef
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 6741
Posting Flair : 180

PostCleve van Leef Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:10 am

The Club has any ambition to reach the Premier League again?

I for one certainly don't.

TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:07 am

If they can fluke it via the play-offs, then yes, but there will be no further significant financial input from Vincent Tan until then.......and who can blame him?
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:46 am

Nar, not particularly. Hugely frustrating when you have a millionaire at the helm sitting on a ton of money
Cleve van Leef
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 6741
Posting Flair : 180

PostCleve van Leef Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:57 am

The hurting part is that we seem to be lagging further behind Swansea every season. They appear to be a million miles in front of us and the gap is getting wider
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:15 am

I'm not bothered about Swansea or any other local rivalry, never have been, never will be........

As for having a billionaire owner, Tan is primarily a businessman, who has learned from his mistakes in trusting people in the football game. The time is not right for further investment, but it may well come in the future.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:06 am

Yeah, not bothered by what Swansea are doing only what happens at the CCS. I do think there is ambition there but very much a different approach now and, actually, I'd rather that.

If the last 12 months, 2, 5 or 10 years has shown us throwing money at the team is no guarantee of success - maybe in the short term but long term, seems more detrimental than anything. Just look at the Hammam or Solskjaer era for evidence of that. Money without control or strategy is usually wasted. There was a period when I could name every City player - including reserves - verbatim, in the last 3 or 4 years I've lost track completely and that is due to the massive turnover of players we've had.

Conversely, teams such as Leicester, Burnley, (and yes) Swansea and even Wales have benefited from long term building over a period of seasons - even if there has been failures along the way.

Finally, it seems to me, with a focus on bringing in more home grown players through and paying sensible prices for players that fit, that there actually is some kind of building and buying strategy in place at City. Granted, it is a loose one right now but that's a significant improvement on the last few seasons and the clearest direction by the board and manager that we've had since the first season of Malky. I tend to agree with TDA on this one too, there might be more investment to come but only when the time is right and the foundations are set.

If that means we are ball-achingly dull this season but build towards something for next season and a proper tilt at promotion with a real prospect of staying up once we get there, then I'm all for that.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum