View previous topic View next topic Go down

TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:06 pm

Interesting game this was, as it highlighted the gulf in quality between the Premier League and Championship. Scotland have some very good players, e.g. Mulgrew, Robertson & Maloney, but the starting line up had seven Championship players and it showed. Plenty of hustle & bustle, but just lacking that finesse that would make them a real attacking threat against PL defenders.

That said, again, they scored the goal of the evening to bring the score back to 1 - 2. Lovely interplay between Robertson & Johnny Russell and a sublime finish. Russell was linked with City a while back and I would say on the evidence of his cameo, that Derby have got a bargain at £750,000.

All in all a game worth watching and it gave me the idea that an end of season match PL v Championship, maybe limited to home grown players would be worth considering........ Scotland v England 4228682415
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:37 pm

A very solid performance from Engerlandshire and that's probably the best 90 minutes I've seen from them for a while. All the goals were good but my pick was the the third Shire goal which was a lovely, well-crafted, one-touch-pass joy.

Agree with you about the skill gap too. Scotland reminded me of City under Malky in the Premiership - hard working, well-meaning but toothless up front, unable to keep hold of the ball and with the odd glaring gap in defence that was all too easily punished.
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:42 pm

The difference in attitudes between the two teams would interest me.
I became disillusioned in the PL last season with the falling about, diving, and trainers treating players for 'Iinjuries' which most of us would shrug off. The Champoonshop seems a much more honest division.
Sorry if I've ranted off topic!
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:44 pm

'Injuries' before I get pulled up for it and I was talking about TDA's PL v Championship game.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:24 am

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:The difference in attitudes between the two teams would interest me.
I became disillusioned in the PL last season with the falling about, diving, and trainers treating players for 'Iinjuries' which most of us would shrug off. The Champoonshop seems a much more honest division.
Sorry if I've ranted off topic!

Closest you have been to relevance for some time............... Scotland v England 692773407

Seriously, what you say is spot on........the approach to football in the two divisions is so very different.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 am

Must admit, while it was a good match I think it would of went better if England played like typical England, instead of this side that actually get you thinking they might be pretty decent. It was clear from the moment the first goal went in that we were too good for Scotland. We were quicker, stronger, more decisive in our passing, more free in our movement. If we played like that every week, only Germany, Spain and Belgium would realistically be confident about facing us. Alas, we'll probably scrape through a group full of European nobodies and then lose to Portugal in the quarters.

Wilsheres pass for the first goal was ludicrous. So ludicrous I can't believe for a second he meant it to land THAT perfectly. 40 yards with twenty yards of curve, right on top of a tightly marked Chamberlains head? Iniesta could of done it and I'd reckon he was lucky too.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:36 am

Red614 wrote:Must admit, while it was a good match I think it would of went better if England played like typical England, instead of this side that actually get you thinking they might be pretty decent. It was clear from the moment the first goal went in that we were too good for Scotland. We were quicker, stronger, more decisive in our passing, more free in our movement. If we played like that every week, only Germany, Spain and Belgium would realistically be confident about facing us. Alas, we'll probably scrape through a group full of European nobodies and then lose to Portugal in the quarters.

Wilsheres pass for the first goal was ludicrous. So ludicrous I can't believe for a second he meant it to land THAT perfectly. 40 yards with twenty yards of curve, right on top of a tightly marked Chamberlains head? Iniesta could of done it and I'd reckon he was lucky too.

Genuinely thought that third goal was world class - the pace, the passing and the movement were all spot on and coming straight on the heels of a Scottish resurgence too.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:50 am

Yeah, the frustrating thing is player by player we aren't nearly as weak as some want you to think. Joe Hart is an excellent goalkeeper and will now be kept on his toes by Forster, Shaw will only grow and Clyne seems to finally be the right back to take over permenately from as far back as Gary Neville. Cahill is one of the best centrebacks in a league which has some of the best centrebacks in the world. Sterling can frustrate me into an early grave but when he's in form he's unstoppable, Chanberlain seems to be growing and growing into a more central role. Wilshere grudgingly appears to of discovered a calling as a deep lying midfielder, and for all my critisicism of Rooney he does appear to be scoring time and time again, and even if he doesn't Sturridge and Welbeck are more then capable of taking over.

If we found a new playmaker, the one position I do feel we are still truly deficient, and this team is good enough for the semi finals.
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:46 am

Red614 wrote:Yeah, the frustrating thing is player by player we aren't nearly as weak as some want you to think. Joe Hart is an excellent goalkeeper and will now be kept on his toes by Forster, Shaw will only grow and Clyne seems to finally be the right back to take over permenately from as far back as Gary Neville. Cahill is one of the best centrebacks in a league which has some of the best centrebacks in the world. Sterling can frustrate me into an early grave but when he's in form he's unstoppable, Chanberlain seems to be growing and growing into a more central role. Wilshere grudgingly appears to of discovered a calling as a deep lying midfielder, and for all my critisicism of Rooney he does appear to be scoring time and time again, and even if he doesn't Sturridge and Welbeck are more then capable of taking over.

If we found a new playmaker, the one position I do feel we are still truly deficient, and this team is good enough for the semi finals.

England are desperately lacking a goalscoring midfielder. Something like 300+ games between the midfielders with a handful of goals between them. The Ox seems to be the only one who has the ability to score.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:51 am

I don't think Enlgland have ever had many goalscoring midfielders.

David Platt and Bryan Robson come to mind, but that's about it...... scratch
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend

Post*** G L O V E S *** Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:13 am

TDA wrote:I don't think Enlgland have ever had many goalscoring midfielders.

Bobby Charlton (?). Certainly Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard in recent years.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:52 am

*** G L O V E S *** wrote:

Yes, quite right on the Gerrard & Lampard, of course Scotland v England 2854552383 .  Charlton, yes also to a point, but particularly in his earlier years he was someone who played all across the front line for both club & country.
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend

Post*** G L O V E S *** Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:12 am

TDA wrote:
*** G L O V E S *** wrote:

Yes, quite right on the Gerrard & Lampard, of course  Scotland v England 2854552383 .  Charlton, yes also to a point, but particularly in his earlier years he was someone who played all across the front line for both club & country.

He's a player (well) before my time who I would have loved to have seen play up close... although I guess I saw the next best thing in Andreas Cornelius.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:50 am

I was fortunate to see Charlton play a few times, both for England & Man Utd, albeit at the end of his career. Something here from the 1966 World Cup. It looks like he runs unchallenged, but note the feint to the left which freezes the defender and opens up the shot off the right foot.......... Scotland v England 1499845164

Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:13 am

I was just thinking "that's a beauty" when Wolstenholme said it for me.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum