View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:29 pm

Keeping expectations realistic (read - basically no money available), what would you like to see happen to the team this window?

- I'd like to see Tony Watt signed permenately using the savings made from Kenwynes departure - as much as I like the old fashioned 'big man small man' combination up front, Mason and Watt both testing their marks and seeking space constantly looks like it could give most defences a headache at this level. Happy to admit early signs hint I was wrong about his signing and he has changed the face of our play (yes, well done Russell).

-We need another winger if Kennedy continues to be out of favour. Noone and Pilkington are starting to look tired, so at least one more player that's able to provide a rotation option/breathe down their necks would be pretty valuable.

- furthermore, just general squad improvement as opportunities present. We need more competition in the centre of the park in particular as the quality of our midfied drops significantly if you fluctuate from the current combo of Gunnarrson and Ralls. Another striker would be the cherry on top, as again Watt and Mason are acres ahead of the likes of Macheda, and Watts work rate looks particularly susceptible to burnout. Frazier Campbell on short term loan, maybe?
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:46 pm

Slade is pre-occupîed with the big man / small man combination, but City play their best football in keeping the ball on the ground and working openings around the box.  We have seen Gunnarsson pushing up in support recently and that is the style I would like to see us continue to develop.  

The addition of a big man is likely to just lead to lump-it-forward-ball.  There are not likely to be that many big mobile skilful strikers available in this window and if they are, then they are going to be expensive.  Expect another donkey or a foreigner untried in football at this level.

In Saadi & Macheda, we have potential, but it is up to the management to get them fit and motivated and playing in a system that suits them.

I'm not too fussed about another front man, other than Watt, but as you say, a nippy winger who can deliver a final ball and some more energy for midfield should see us okay.........

............oh, and a new manager!
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:32 am

Fraizer Campbell starts for Palace against Chelsea today, so I shouldn't think he will be going out on loan.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:41 am

TDA wrote:Fraizer Campbell starts for Palace against Chelsea today, so I shouldn't think he will be going out on loan.

Looking pretty tidy too. His work rate has always been staggering but he's just lacked that little bit of quality. Fond memories of him running himself into the ground for 90 minutes regardless of how lost a cause the game was - a lot of our current team could learn from that.

I do worry that with Watt and Mason, we lack a physical presence. It would be okay if the midfield could provide that but only Gunnarrson can really claim to have any sort of authority on the ball. It's a shame it has to be one or the other at the moment - that we can't get a fast striker who is also capable of shrugging off defenders with ease.
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:05 am

Tamas is free to go as well according to his agent. Another pointless/useless signing by Rusty. Using Oshilaja as cover would have been much better and cheaper.
My wish is still Slade out.
Cleve van Leef
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 6741
Posting Flair : 180

PostCleve van Leef Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:15 am

Get rid of Marshall, Manga and Noone, Tamas along with Jones. Don't sign anyone and give youth/development players a chance. Recall Ajayi, Oshilaja, O'Sullivan and Barnum-Bobb. We don't appear to be in any danger of either promotion or relegation, therefore nothing to lose.
Then we'll see how good Slade really is.
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:55 am

I would certainly like to see the youngsters given a chance, too, rather than bringing in more Slade-esque signings. One player I'd love here is Patrick Bamford, who is seemingly on his way back to the Championship.
Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 22790
Posting Flair : 760

PostTans Tache Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:36 am

I'd like to see Saadi and watt try a partnership (Saadi looked like he had pace when he played that once) I think Saadi and watt could be potentially a dangerous pairing if given a chance
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:34 am

I cry a little inside whenever anyone mentions selling Marshall as anything but a huge negative. He's our star player, by clear head and shoulders. No one else in our price bracket would get anywhere near him - it's replacing your Ferrari with a Ford Fiesta.
Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend

PostTans Tache Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:03 am

I hope we keep Marshall, all I hope is we do sell we get all of fee up front not in dribs and drabs,, I don't believe Marshall wants to leave.... If he did he would put in a transfer request, he does deserve another crack at the prem
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:06 am

Marshall is by far and away our biggest asset - selling him for anything less than £5m is a big no. Even then, that money HAS to go on a couple of new players at the very least,
Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend

PostTans Tache Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:27 am

Who's says 5mill why not 6mill.... ??? U say 5 clubs may haggle just below... If I start at 6mill u may get the 5 or just above,
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:53 am

I've just been reading that Oshilaja's loan spell at Gillingham is up today but they rate him highly and want it extended. However, he's not cup tied and with Tamas seemingly not wanted it looks to be the perfect time to get him back. Will Russell see sense? There's a first time for everything.
Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend

PostTans Tache Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:16 am

Doubt it
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:I've just been reading that Oshilaja's loan spell at Gillingham is up today but they rate him highly and want it extended. However, he's not cup tied and with Tamas seemingly not wanted it looks to be the perfect time to get him back. Will Russell see sense? There's a first time for everything.

I don't see the point of bringing these players back from useful loan spells to play them in one or two meaningless cup ties and then be inactive for the rest of the season. Slade isn't going to trust the youngsters in the Championship.

I expect to see Tamas play on Saturday, if only to put him in the shop window. Fair play to him for wanting game time, but he should have appreciated that there were four very capable CBs ahead of him when he signed.

Saturday's team selection will be very interesting........ January wish list? 4228682415
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum